lingDAC - cost effective RBCD multibit DAC design

Testing DACs

I've been trying to get to the bottom of the variability in full-scale output voltage between builds of the Celibidache and so decided to test a few hundred chips to see what the production spread looks like. The result is - pretty much exactly as the TDA1387 datasheet says. It says there's +/-14% variation on a nominal 1mA, I found ~26% between top and bottom with my sample of ~500 chips (counted by weight). And about 2% are dead ones.

What's most interesting to me is there is clearly correlation between the markings and the full-scale output current. There are two kinds of markings making up the vast majority of the chips I have, shown in the second pic below. The marking style at the top occupy the bottom end of the distribution - I found none of that style in the highest output current bin. And vice-versa, the bottom style I found only 2 of in the lowest current bin (I created 4 bins). Whether maximum output current is correlated with SQ I don't yet know, some listening will be required.

Attachments

• 20211207151814.jpg
    20211207151814.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 20211207151033a.jpg
    20211207151033a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 198
If you're after the least 'commercial' project then I reckon Kubelik would be it, there's a BOM (with Mouser part numbers), gerbers and build guide. So far though no-one's done it to my knowledge, the nearest would be @Vunce but last time I asked he had other projects lined up prior to Kubelik.

Oh - and thanks for all your Xmas wishes guys.

Hey abraxalito! My two kits came and I got one together! What an exciting way to spend new years eve hahaha.

The only thing I mucked up was soldering resistors where the ferret beads went for the left channel. I debugged it and everything else went smoothly.
Screenshot 2022-01-01 152326.png

Going to finish the other board, flip the phase on it, and have a balanced build. After that I'm planning on putting it in a nice little box with a raspberry pi and have a sweet network streamer with balanced out.

Really cool project.

Excellent work! So I wasn't the only one at my bench on New Years then? I too wonder where all those 'escaped' resistors go, there must be dozens of them around my workplace! I know many of them fall into my computer keyboard, sometimes the keys get stuck due to 0805 parts falling beneath them and I periodically need to clean it out.