lingDAC - cost effective RBCD multibit DAC design

Abbado.png

Abbado II has at last gone out to JLC to have them build some - this updated version ditches the CJ431s in favour of IRLED fed regulation for the DAC chips. The factory fitted components are shown on the PCB above. Once we get boards back I'll select and solder the filter caps (which need to be close tolerance hence can't be done at JLC), wind some inductors and then after testing a pair, kits will be available.

Since Abbado II runs on 9V its eminently suited to being powered by battery, I plan to check out how it fares fed from a couple of 18650s.

Reactions: 8 users
For those for whom 16 paralleled DAC chips isn't quite enough, I've stacked some extra chips over the top of the first layer on one of my later prototype Abbados. Its fiddly straightening out the legs of the 1545s and bending them to fit snugly over the top of some of the existing DACs but eventually I got a 24 chip version of Abbado running. There's no particular reason to stop at 8 extra chips except I wanted to check there's enough headroom in the design to tweak it up further. The max output level has gone up from 1.3V to 1.8V and total current consumption from 200mA to 240mA. I haven't listened yet but its showing clean output at these levels on the 'scope.

Weixin Image_20230620173431.jpg

I soldered the new chips at the ends of the lines of chips - top and bottom of the pic - nearest the decouplers. The pin7 bias needs increasing too (solder an extra 0805 11k on top of the existing one) or the extra output current will remain as potential only. Compared to 1387s, the 1545s do run noticeably cooler.

I've yet to figure out what the practical boundary of the design is going to be, 32 chips isn't the upper-most limit but stacking DACs more than 2 high is only for the hair shirt guys methinks :ROFLMAO:

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I see you sent me a package Richard. Thank you.

A question about input signal hook up. I only use a USB output from a cellphone to drive the digital signal to my current DACs (no computer hookups). What do I need to do connect a USB input to your board? I know you've explained this somewhere but I'm not really oriented with Is2 and all that stuff.

Sorry for the ignorant type question.

Pete

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hi Richard, I'd just like to check the connections on your above listed PCM2706-based USB to Is2 board. The card itself is powered by the USB connection to my cellphone, correct? I'm connecting your DAC board to the "A" set of connections, correct? As you said SCK is not used nor will I be using the 5V output connection? The GND is still used to your board (and possibly to ground the RCA outputs (-) terminals)? What are the set of "B" connections used for??? I received zero documentation with this board.

Thanks, Pete

Attachments

• IMG_8543.jpeg
    IMG_8543.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 58
Hi Pete - I haven't a clue what the 'B' pins are connected to, you might gain insight if you eyeball the applications section of the PCM2706 datasheet. For example it might support stuff like volume up/down, track skip and the like with switches to those pins. You're right its those 'A' connections, you have no need of the '5V', but you will need 'GND' and yes its powered by your phone.

Please could you explain difference between those DAC's?
You're asking about Phi DecaDAC in comparison with Kubelik.

Simply put, DecaDAC has more paralleled DAC chips (10 vs 6) and as a result, a lower noisefloor. It has a much more complex LC filter (7th order vs 3rd order for Kubelik) which gives improved dynamics and cleans up the higher frequencies subjectively.

I don't have any comparisons of recent DAC designs against S-D type DACs but I wrote a comparison of my lingDAC against PCM5102 in 2017 on Hackaday : https://hackaday.io/project/27001/log/71059-how-to-give-my-listening-impressions.

Hello Abraxalito,

Working on a new project, I'm moving on with PhiDAC kits I had bought many years ago. I have 2 power supply boards (see picture) and I wonder how many PhiDAC each power supply board could drive (1 ?2? 3 boards ? or more?).

Also, from what I remember, you can arrange 2xPhiDAC boards to get balanced outputs. How to do that ? How to interconnect the boards? How to use the small switch and how to power the boards? This is not anymore clear to be. I would be super interested by a link to an explanation, or a small drawing.

The idea is to use the PhiDACs in a USB to multi channel set-up.

Best regards,

JMF

Attachments

• IMG_20230801_192948.jpg
    IMG_20230801_192948.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 56