Klipsch Bass Horn Acoustic Analysis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Chris,

Yes, I used (2) 12 inch drivers for most of the curves by design. I would like to make custom cabinets for the corner horn, and maybe make folds similar to the Klipsch Jubilee.

For some reason, it seems to be harder to find a 12 inch driver that allows the same spread in frequency range as the newer K-33 15 inch driver.

Thanks for pointing out the use of 12 inch drivers.

If there is interest, I could model more 15 inch drivers for the stock K-Horn.

On the EV-12L, I do not see the BL in the downloaded spec sheet. Chris I looked over at an old post on Hornresp help, and found this...
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-46.html#post1796003
It may help us determine the missing BL for the EV 12L. I have not tried this before.

It's funny; I have not seen any EV speakers on various on-line stores. Not sure why?

Jim.

Hello Jim, as for data on the EV EVM 12L, the Bl=20Tm

The older EV 12L EDS did not have Bl listed, however the magnet structure is shared with the DL12X, a newer similar woofer. Newer is circa 1990!

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch - EV/DL12X.pdf

For your interest in the folded Klipsch horns, the origional motor for the Jubilee was the Klipsch K-31E used in the Klipsch model HLH-30.

Attached are: EV DL12X EDS.pdf, Klipsch K-31 specs from internet, and scans of pages 3 and 4 from the AES paper vol 48 #10 from Oct 2000. The scans have the T/S requirements for the Jubilee woofers.

As for finding the older EV woofers, I got mine on eBay. I have 4 x EV 15L, 5 x EV 15B, and 2x EV DL18MT loudspeakers in my DIY builds.

The EV12L is still sold in several versions, Amazon has them today:

Amazon.com: Electro-Voice EVM12L 12" Classic Guitar Loudspeaker, 200 Watts at 8 Ohms: Musical Instruments

good luck with your builds! chris

Attachments

• DL12X EDS.pdf
    425.8 KB · Views: 56
  • K-31 ts.jpg
    K-31 ts.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 331
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 293
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 298
No mass was added for the Vas measurement, I don't think the related numbers are valid?

Hello NEO Dan, yes it seems you are correct. The same question came up on the forum that had the #s in question. I attached an update from:

Klipsch Woofer Thiele/Small Parameters v2.1 - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

Thanks...chris

edit - It looks like these T/S #s were copied from the page 4 AES paper of what to look for in a woofer, rather than what a K-31E tested as.

Attachments

• nhe4X5X.png
    nhe4X5X.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Hello Jim, as for data on the EV EVM 12L, the Bl=20Tm

The older EV 12L EDS did not have Bl listed, however the magnet structure is shared with the DL12X, a newer similar woofer. Newer is circa 1990!

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch - EV/DL12X.pdf

For your interest in the folded Klipsch horns, the origional motor for the Jubilee was the Klipsch K-31E used in the Klipsch model HLH-30.

Attached are: EV DL12X EDS.pdf, Klipsch K-31 specs from internet, and scans of pages 3 and 4 from the AES paper vol 48 #10 from Oct 2000. The scans have the T/S requirements for the Jubilee woofers.

As for finding the older EV woofers, I got mine on eBay. I have 4 x EV 15L, 5 x EV 15B, and 2x EV DL18MT loudspeakers in my DIY builds.

The EV12L is still sold in several versions, Amazon has them today:

Amazon.com: Electro-Voice EVM12L 12" Classic Guitar Loudspeaker, 200 Watts at 8 Ohms: Musical Instruments

good luck with your builds! chris

Chris,

Thanks so much for the attachments.

OK, this is the part where I could use some help.

The attachment called Jubilee Flare Rate Table has a portion of attachment that you posted, and I scratched my head for some time trying to work out the distance-and-areas for corresponding flare sections of the horn. My only conclusions are: 1) either I am misreading the table, or 2) the table has a typo.

When I model the horn flare rate from the table, one can see the resulting sections in Hornresp, and the flare does not look right (see 10 and 11.jpg).

After modifying the shape to get essentially the same flare rates as listed in the table, then section distances and areas are different than those listed in the table.

Modeling either case, shows a very poor SPL response. Notice no low end close to 40 Hz? I expect that the low fs of the driver is primarily responsible. Maybe some other DIY's can shed some light on this.

Jim.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 64
  • Jubilee Flare Rate Table.jpg
    Jubilee Flare Rate Table.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Hmm, with a 'rubber' throat + expo there's normally basically just two flare frequencies, so 97+[35/40] is near enough.

In a compression horn, Fs is normally near/at the flare frequency, then tuned up to whatever Fc is desired, so if Fs = 21 Hz, then combined with a 40 Hz expo + conical corner flare that's about right with an Fc in the 47-58 Hz range based on the specs in post 62.

GM

Hello Jim, The AES paper is not a plan for building, but the idea of how the Jubilee might better the Klipschorn . The construction plans are not available.

I am attaching the other pages of the AES paper vol 48 #10, 2000 Oct.

You have page 3&4 already,page 1 is the cover sheet, 8 & 9 are acknowledgments and irrelevant.

have fun...chris

Attachments

• pg2 AES.jpg
    pg2 AES.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 121
  • pg5 AES.jpg
    pg5 AES.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 119
  • pg6 AES.jpg
    pg6 AES.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 123
  • pg7 AES.jpg
    pg7 AES.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 118
Very nice thread by the way. No matter how often the Khorn is discussed, there is always new old information brought up. And each new round of reverse engineering and simulating illustrates other interesting characteristics. Thanks for starting it and doing this work.

I admit I've never read it or many papers/docs posted, just respond to specific queries, so my $0.02 sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. Frankly, didn't know it was dual driver or would have had a better idea of where the problem lay since the driver/flare specs lined up nicely in one case.

GM

Footnote: wiser persons than me will know how to reckon the room walls as part of the horn mouth for corner horns.

Also, the Klipsch bass horn has a somewhat ill-defined top plate. I made one rather larger than the bass horn profile... and put some cinder blocks and a wine rack on it.

Wine racks go very well with Klipshorns.

B.

Very nice thread by the way. No matter how often the Khorn is discussed, there is always new old information brought up. And each new round of reverse engineering and simulating illustrates other interesting characteristics. Thanks for starting it and doing this work.

Thanks. :)

Not only did I find new things along the way, but I am still amazed and grateful for how much the DIY's add to the project.

Jim.

Footnote: wiser persons than me will know how to reckon the room walls as part of the horn mouth for corner horns.

Also, the Klipsch bass horn has a somewhat ill-defined top plate. I made one rather larger than the bass horn profile... and put some cinder blocks and a wine rack on it.

Wine racks go very well with Klipshorns.

B.

I got a good laugh out of that one!

Jim.

I once kilt one or both K33 in Khorn with a Belles "A" amp's nasty clipping on the Telarc 1812 finale seeing if it would wake a friend passed out from a bit too much drinking - he kept snoozing :eek:

When the Telarc version of the LP was released back in the 70's, I was told by one LP store owner that people were bringing their albums back to the store, claiming that there was something wrong with it! Their phono cartridge could not track the canon shots properly! Ouch.

Jim.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.