Klipsch Bass Horn Acoustic Analysis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
855:239= 3.5:1CR ----> SD : throat

I will stay with the bridged output of the Ecler NZA 6-180 (around 350W ) I am using at the moment. Uprading to more power kills the driver earlier.

Years ago the Beyma was torn in pieces with a 1200W class-D modul.
That was definitly too much.

Klipsch K-Horn Driver Analysis

Hi,

A driver analysis is presented here for a K-horn type folded corner horn. I was curious of just how good of a job that Klipsch staff did while developing the K-33 driver.

Also, if one wanted to fold a new K-horn similar to the Jubilee, then (2) 12 inch drivers would hopefully make the folding process easier, so those drivers are ones I focused on for this analysis.

A study is presented here to show the relative performance these drivers compared to the K-33.

The graph below is a summary of the SPL graphs for the drivers found on-line. Each graph curve is shifted by 5dB.

Klipsch Driver Analysis.jpg

If you happen to model any of these or other drivers using the Klipsch fold dimensions, I would be interested in your feedback. Further if you know of another driver that may compete with the K-33, please update me on this. I would be glad to model the driver and update the analysis.

Jim.

Attachments

• Klipsch Driver Analysis.pdf
    360.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hornresp can look at the response from another perspective when the model is a single segment (use L12 only), when you are on the Acoustical Power screen use [CTRL]+[X] keys and enter the angle of your choice to display Acoustical Pressure response. This may not translate directly for folded or horns with significant deviation from an axisymmetric form but it is useful for getting a feel for how the horn is working.

Klipsch K-Horn Driver Analysis - cont.

Hi,

I had one of the DIYaudio members contact me about performing an analysis of the Electro Voice 15L driver. The member went on to say that they modified the standard K-Horn throat from 3x13 to 6x13 inches. Both throat versions have been modeled out of curiosity.

Seeing the impressive low-end SPL response of the EV 15L, which has an "fs" value of 43Hz, has me changing my assumption about needing an "fs" value slightly lower than the cutoff frequency of the horn. In other words, if I want a horn with a cutoff of something close to 40Hz, then the "fs" needs to be slightly lower than this. Modeling the EV 15L has shown that this assumption may not be completely correct.

With this in mind, another look at drivers close to/if not above, the horn cutoff of 40Hz will be done.

The updated PDF with the EV 15L is attached.

Jim

Attachments

• Klipsch Driver Analysis.pdf
    420.3 KB · Views: 122
Hello Jim, thanks for posting results for the EV 15L. The K33E you model is of the newer round magnet version with Fs around 35 Hz.

My 1974 Klipschorns came with the K33P square magnet version with Fs around 27 Hz. Today "B & K Sound" provides new K33 replacements made to these old specs. I think they would be a worthy addition to your list. Here are the #s Bob Crites posted awhile back for the CW1526C.

Fs=26.3Hz, Re=3.36ohms, Vas=506.3L, Bl=12.49Tm, Qms=9.93, Qes=0.27, Qts=0.26, Mms=75.5g, Xmax=7.15mm, Cms=0.486mm/N, Sd=890sq cm.

Thanks again...chris

..... Today "B & K Sound" provides new K33 replacements made to these old specs....

Hi Chris,

I did a search for B & K Sound and came up with Bruel and kJaer, and bandkav DOTcom. Can you give more information about who they are?

I will model the older K-33 specs soon. Thanks for making me aware of them. :)

And who makes the CW1526C? Is this the product number for the K-33 replacement?

Jim.

Hello Jim, member cowanaudio answered with his link. thanks!

These fine folks have all sorts of stuff for DIY . The Klipsch company doesn't sell parts to maintain our older speakers. The parts they have would be for warranty replacements.

When you found specs for the older EV 15L, some were in yellow. These guesses were a little off IMHO. Re=6.0ohms, Bl=20, Le=1.6mH are #s that are listed by EV. I don't know if this changes the curve or not.

thanks...chris

Klipschorn acoustical filter slot

The Klipschorn bass unit has a (6x13) 78 sq inch throat. The woofer motor motors have been many, like phases of the Moon!. The K33 renditions use a (3x13) filter slot.

To add to this discussion from "How to build Speaker Enclosures" by Alexis Badmaieff and Don Davis copywright 1966:

Attachments

• Page 91.jpg
    Page 91.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Page 90.jpg
    Page 90.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Page 89.jpg
    Page 89.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 324
....When you found specs for the older EV 15L, some were in yellow. These guesses were a little off IMHO. Re=6.0ohms, Bl=20, Le=1.6mH are #s that are listed by EV. I don't know if this changes the curve or not.....chris

Hi,

Thanks to your updated EV 15L specs, the Hornresp analysis has been updated in the first attachment.

The second attachment has data from numerous "low BL" drivers, which seem to work better in a Klipsch corner horn. Chris, the last attachment also has modeling for the old school K-33 square magnet driver as well.

Jim.

Attachments

• Klipsch Driver Analysis-I.pdf
    419.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Klipsch Driver Analysis-II.pdf
    436.6 KB · Views: 104
EV 15WK

Hello again Jim, thanks for the EV 15L update. I am happy to be using this driver! The EV and PWK combinations would not complete without the alnico EV 15WK motor. This was a 16 ohm 15W made to PWK 4 ohm specs using the (6x13) filter slot as original construction.

EV 15WK: Fs=42.6447Hz, Vas=8.5470cu ft, Re=3.4863ohms, Le=0.7267mH, Bl=12.50Tm, Qts=0.2698, Qes=0.2795, Qms=7.7495, Efficiency=101.10 dB 1w/1m.

thanks...chris

Attachments

• EV 15WK ts.jpg
    EV 15WK ts.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 287
Hello Jim, but not to be a pest, but you have used 2 x 12inch drivers for your curves.

Two 12 inch woofers do not fit in the Klipschorn bass unit? However the Klipsch Jubilee bass box is a described unit to use up KLH-30 woofers as the speaker was dropped in the line up. Some early Pro klipsch Heresey loudspeakers used the EV 12L as a woofer, these are still in production. Some say the best sounding guitar speaker...

Try two EV !2L in the curves: Fs=55Hz, Qes=0.245, Qms=4.37, Qts=0.232, Vas=82.9L, eff 4.3%

Attachments

• EVM12L Classic.pdf
    589.1 KB · Views: 110
Hello Jim, but not to be a pest, but you have used 2 x 12inch drivers for your curves.....

Hi Chris,

Yes, I used (2) 12 inch drivers for most of the curves by design. I would like to make custom cabinets for the corner horn, and maybe make folds similar to the Klipsch Jubilee.

For some reason, it seems to be harder to find a 12 inch driver that allows the same spread in frequency range as the newer K-33 15 inch driver.

Thanks for pointing out the use of 12 inch drivers.

If there is interest, I could model more 15 inch drivers for the stock K-Horn.

On the EV-12L, I do not see the BL in the downloaded spec sheet. Chris I looked over at an old post on Hornresp help, and found this...
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-46.html#post1796003
It may help us determine the missing BL for the EV 12L. I have not tried this before.

It's funny; I have not seen any EV speakers on various on-line stores. Not sure why?

Jim.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.