Is There a smallish prosound tapped horn 35-80hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jbell_SS15_VS_THAM_Ande_LB15-1_3.jpg

The Ande LB1560 looks like a very a capable driver for the SS15.

Jbell_SS15_Ande_LB1560_Ande_LB15-1_4.jpg

However, there is something with Ande’s calculation method for their Xmax figures. Although they look very promising, I am afraid they will never be reached in reality. The VC's are simply not capable enough to handle the power needed. If you model them you will see their Xmax can be reached theoretically with 2x their power capacity.

The problem is that all (theoretical) computer models, like those of HornResp for instance, don’t count in power compression figures (Thermal and Dynamic). If you realise that the best Pro PA drivers already have a power compression figure of >2,2dB at their AES power rating, it will be more than 3dB at their max power rating.

So the question is what are the power compression figures of Ande drivers at their "power capacity" and what about 2x that power value?:xfingers: Nevertheless, that doesn't mean they don't offer a good price/performance value, cause they do. Just don't blindstare on their 'amazing' Xmax figures.

Btw, the THAM you find in this thread: THAM15 – a compact 15” tapped horn and is 30% smaller than the SS15 at cost of 2,3dB (sensitivity).

Last edited:
Hi Y'all,

I just revisited and changed around an old design for 2ea. B&C 12PS100 in a tapped horn. For a first try it didn't come out too bad, and it comes in at 282L external volume (9.95ft^3), or 207.3 L_net in Hornresp . These are on sale right now at Parts Express.

Regards,

Attachments

• 12PS100_Dual_2011_Dec18.jpg
    12PS100_Dual_2011_Dec18.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 271
Hi!
This driver was the best one we tried in TH12, pass-band 24dB/8ª from 40 to 96Hz.
SPL is good, despite not that impressive, but cone control is great.
Take a bass guitar and play thru it and you will hear all notes playing equally well defined.
Shame that it costs above US$380,00 here, expansive like all their drivers (import taxes...) and so not affordable to all.
I'm jealous you could buy 2 for the price of one.
Regards,

Hi!
This driver was the best one we tried in TH12, pass-band 24dB/8ª from 40 to 96Hz.
SPL is good, despite not that impressive, but cone control is great.
Take a bass guitar and play thru it and you will hear all notes playing equally well defined.
Shame that it costs above US$380,00 here, expansive like all their drivers (import taxes...) and so not affordable to all.
I'm jealous you could buy 2 for the price of one.
Regards,

Is there a thread for the TH12? I can't seem to find it. I'm interested in trying a smaller lower SPL (125db) TH12 that can go 40-90hz or thereabouts for house parties. I was hoping to use a readily available cheap 400W 12" Pioneer car speaker.

Hi col, can you find Pioneer TS-W12PRS for a dump price over there (maybe even second handed)?

They are not longer supported by Pioneer but sometimes you can find great deals. They are not lightweight but do fit in a 72Litre (including driver and tunnel make-up) basreflex tuned at 30Hz. Two of them (stacked) gives you 95dB 1W/1m at 4 Ohm and a total of 600W rms 1200W max. They sound awesome (up to 180Hz if needed) and have an Xmax that goes way beyond the manufacturers specs (never seen anything like that). We used them for fixed installations where dimension were a real problem and where very high sound quality was demanded.

That response plot looks very good to me. I plan to run my subs with my jbl srx725's which i run at 1600watts. I also have no need nor want of anything above 80hz and will low passed at that. From my current understanding the cubo15 will go lower at the sacrifice of a bit of loudness and a very shitty response above 100hz yes? Since i am only really concerned with 30-70hz ish and thats what i want to be loud this seams like the box i need. Would i also be right in saying that it might perform a bit lower than it sims?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.