Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement

It has been my experience using a Morel tweeter with just a single resistor in series that exhibited the same "Ringing" a simple fix was to add another resistor of approximately 22Ohms 5Watt in parallel. Sending the "Harsh" resident noise to ground! Here you will see a link to the image that describes the network. Apologies if someone has submitted this fix prior. How To Reduce Tweeter Volume - Everything You Need To Know! Another avenue to consider is placing damping material on the woofer basket supports. The ringing may be your woofer basket/frame transmitting the resonant sound through your woofer cone. Not the cone itself, but the woofer frame.

Kingfisher

You might have a hole in the response. The tweeter stands out when it has no woofer joining its response. Did you try inverting the polarity?

I have tried all the combination of polarity. this is how it stands now

JM-RST28-F-4-RS180-8-1-0.jpg

It has been my experience using a Morel tweeter with just a single resistor in series that exhibited the same "Ringing" a simple fix was to add another resistor of approximately 22Ohms 5Watt in parallel. Sending the "Harsh" resident noise to ground! Here you will see a link to the image that describes the network. Apologies if someone has submitted this fix prior. How To Reduce Tweeter Volume - Everything You Need To Know! Another avenue to consider is placing damping material on the woofer basket supports. The ringing may be your woofer basket/frame transmitting the resonant sound through your woofer cone. Not the cone itself, but the woofer frame.

Kingfisher

I already have the LPAD to reduce tweeter, if I go further low then its way low

Your F R graph does not bare out what you describe subjectivity. My guess would be that either your original F R or impedance measurements are inaccurate or the tweeter is stuggling with a Xover frequency that is too low, particularly if you listen at a healthy volume. If you're happy the measurements are accurate I suggest raising the Xover frequency, otherwise I would remeasure then reassess.

Very unlikely unless they have both been over driven. I've heard tweeters after overdriving and they sound EXTREMELY metallic where the voice coil has separated from the dome and both vibrate loosely. Think of two hard surfaces vibrating against each other at high frequency for an idea of the sound.

Your F R graph does not bare out what you describe subjectivity. My guess would be that either your original F R or impedance measurements are inaccurate or the tweeter is stuggling with a Xover frequency that is too low, particularly if you listen at a healthy volume. If you're happy the measurements are accurate I suggest raising the Xover frequency, otherwise I would remeasure then reassess.
These are manufacturer frd and zma

In that case they are almost meaningless as they will not have taken account of the baffle step effect on your baffle. This is a big issue! You will therefore need to adjust tweeter level by ear and ignore the graph unless you can measure the actual FR and impedance of the drivers mounted on your baffle, then design the Xover using those.

Last edited:
'I already have the LPAD to reduce tweeter, if I go further low then its way low" The 22 Ohm resistor is in the parallel location. If you were to balance the output of tweeter to match the woofer you would use maybe a 3.1 Ohm - 5.6 Ohm in series the 22Ohm is in "Shunt" position.