Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yeah you're probably right. It's working now. There where two folders one in Documents and one in Program files. The folder in documents had nothing so i just copied everything from the LTSpice folder in program files to that one and it fixed it. Thanks alot.

That's good :up:

Just for interest, was it LTIV you installed, or was it LTXVII ?

LTIV, the original version of the program did used to install these files in the protected program files area. LTXVII (the latest new version) changed this and now installs in the user area (Documents).

Great to hear you have it sorted though.

A trivial question, how do I rotate the GND symbol so it becomes upside-down according to the attached picture.

I use F7 or F8 to grab a GND symbol and then try rotating with the commands Ctrl+R and/or Ctrl+E but nothing happens, it just skirts a bit around its perimeter without changing direction.
Also if I copy/paste with the command F6 a GND symbol (in a schematics drawn by someone else) that is already upside-down and releases the copy it automatically turns around 180 degree so the pointy arrow points downwards.
I am using LTspiceIV v4.23.

Thanks in advance, Michael

Attachments

• upsidedown_GND.jpg
    upsidedown_GND.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Or add a spur.

---------------------------------------------------------------

OK, basic questions and something that bugs me. Units!

LT seems to have a problem with F for capacitance. I noticed this a couple of years ago and didn't realise what was happening.

For example, to remove the time constant of a large electrolytic to get a more accurate FFT I can make the cap massive. So a 4700uF speaker coupling cap becomes 1F, and it doesn't work. 800,000uF works but not 1F.

I only twigged the other day that 1 (for 1F) will work or 10 (for 10F) will work, but add the basic unit 'F' and it doesn't.

So I tried it for ohms and volts and found those are accepted. But not F.

The first sim works (ohms and volts added)

The second sim with a 1F speakers coupling cap does not run. The AC output voltage is a few pico volts. If I make the cap '1' then I get the full output voltage as expected.

It seems 1F actually equates to 1 femto farad.

Am I missing something :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 149
  • F3.JPG
    F3.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 139
  • F2.JPG
    F2.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 144
  • F1.JPG
    F1.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 145
See http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/software-and-simulation/LTspiceGettingStartedGuide.pdf page 23

Use Labels to Specify Units in Circuit Elements Attributes
‹ K = k = kilo = 103
‹ MEG = meg = 106
‹ m = M = milli = 10-3
‹ u = U = micro = 10-6
‹ G = g = giga = 109
‹ T = t = terra = 1012
‹ n = N = nano = 10-9
‹ p = P = pico = 10-12
‹ f = F = femto = 10-15

Important
Use MEG to specify 106, not M
Enter 1 for 1 Farad, not 1F

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for the link, that last bit explains it :)

So the simulator uses and accepts correct SI units V for volt and Ω for unit of resistance, but for some reason will not accept F for Farad (which the appropriate box implies it should).

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 72