Improving Braun LV1020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what capacitors are you talking about? what "orange EPCOP", which one you decided to replace ?
I would definitely replace C636, c655(same value or larger), c606( This one I would replace this with a larger value, more than 3300uF).
And I would probably take a look at all of those 1uf caps in the signal path, replace them with audio electrolytics (es, kz, silmicII etc) or even with mkt(wima mks2 etc).
This one C636 and so on . so what you tell me .
Look like EPCOP best . I check amperage , nobody can bid .
Axial%20Caps.jpg

what capacitors are you talking about? what "orange EPCOP", which one you decided to replace ?

For PS LF amplifier looking good EPCOP B41560 brother of Sikorel 10000uf 100v( not 22000uf )maybe better 15000uf for LF amp PS ?:

B41560A9109M EPCOS / TDK | Mouser

For MID amp PS : Nichicon Capacitor 6800uF 63Vdc KG Super Through
Board MF amp 63V , is it safe use 63v capacitor ?

For HF amp I don-t know .
KG Super Through not in stock with lower capacity .

For xrosover Filmic II , Nichicon KZ .
I can't founded ELNA Cerafine . Is this Elna Cerafine ?

Last edited:
Hi Pashka,
We live in different country. It seems not so easy for you to buy parts there. Here in this site there's usually a group buy if that is feasible for you. Or e-bay.

I believe there are many small LM317 modules on e-bay. You need a few electronics tho so you can set the right output voltage. But modules are usually equipped with a pot for this purpose. To get 36v from 59v you need to drop 23v which I guess is possible. 37v is the max output possible from this chip.

Usually I do point-to-point wiring with LM317. I put the 'module' right where a former resistor was (It can replace the RC filter in your amp. The R is 5W). Then the third 'leg' will run to the nearest Ground on the PCB. You need a small heatsink coz it may deliver 2.3W (if the current draw is 100mA).

Signal coupling caps, the several 1uF in your crossover an amplifier's input. Better designs will avoid the use of such capacitors. You need this so choosing the right ones is the next move. Best one is MKP but the size is too big for the PCB. My strategy is to use good-sounding non-polar or bipolar electrolytics. But best ones are all not in production anymore. But I think MUSE BP is okay. Another option is the metallized cap in small box, usually 60v and no more than 2.2uF. They are not as good as the normal MKP but the size is small (less than 1cm). Vishay has this but I have never compared the sound with other caps (but they measure close to the big MKP).

Cap multipliers, I think there were group buys in this site. I think e-bay should have it too. Simplest one I think is from Diyaudio member jason kutteman (?). Just do a search.

Hi Pashka,

We live in different country. It seems not so easy for you to buy parts there. Here in this site there's usually a group buy if that is feasible for you. Or e-bay.

Тhanks for the help.
It’s not good that you are far away, you can’t come to visit and listen to how plays like life Braun with 3D real , not stereo , 3D , so why I whant forward stage .

I have two sets of amplifiers. On one, I listened now recap one from seller = (I'm afraid to do anythig with this set , it's plays like live music), but it has a slightly different crossover power scheme, I mean that the power goes not through resistance with a capacitor, otherwise I will better put the picture.

MKP capacitor to put on 1mkf instead of the original or one instead of two capacitor to 2yuf? Interblocks on each side cost 1 μkf condenser head-on minus-minus.

I look at the LM317, I understand this is something that lowers the voltage instead of P509 and C503. And does the LM317 filter out well the voltage for the crossover?
If something is going on with other transistors, will there be a lot of buckets just for a penny?

Attachments

• schematic.pdf
    182 KB · Views: 64
  • schematic2.pdf
    221.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Тhanks for the help.
It’s not good that you are far away, you can’t come to visit and listen to how plays like life Braun with 3D real , not stereo , 3D , so why I whant forward stage .
i listened thru youtube and couldn't appreciate the sound as much as you do. Another youtube channel (Antelope Zodiac wows owner of HiFi Solutions in Netherland), using same DAC, that's something i can appreciate. Martin Logan speaker is in a different league than your Braun but you said you have compared with boutique speakers... ;) On the 3D comment, i think i can 'hear' it on that video. Nice white speaker like mine, my favorite appearance.
I have two sets of amplifiers. On one, I listened now recap one from seller = (I'm afraid to do anythig with this set , it's plays like live music), but it has a slightly different crossover power scheme, I mean that the power goes not through resistance with a capacitor, otherwise I will better put the picture.
Yes this one has better supply. Actually there are two RC before the regulator. Thats to drop the voltage. 470R-250uf-560R-250uf.
MKP capacitor to put on 1mkf instead of the original or one instead of two capacitor to 2yuf? Interblocks on each side cost 1 μkf condenser head-on minus-minus.
I dont understand the above. MKP is best to replace the 1 micro Farad coupling caps, if only you have space.
I look at the LM317, I understand this is something that lowers the voltage instead of P509 and C503. And does the LM317 filter out well the voltage for the crossover?
Yes, lm317 is a complex circuit in a chip. the beauty of it is that it doesn't ruin the sound like many regulators do. I use it along with even the best regulator i have (as pre regulator) because of that non destructive character.
If something is going on with other transistors, will there be a lot of buckets just for a penny?
i don't quite understand.

Nichicon ES. if you cant find the 1uf go for the next larger value available.

Nichicon UES Series Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded | Mouser

Yes, that's the mks2 1uf. But you have an 10uf coupling caps , 10uf mks2 cant be found at mouser.

For the MKP caps, which btw are very good, they are much larger (10uf are really big, and u need one) and the leads are thicker, so if you want u could try but you might have problems with the hole.

Yes, that's the mks2 1uf. But you have an 10uf coupling caps , 10uf mks2 cant be found at mouser.

For the MKP caps, which btw are very good, they are much larger (10uf are really big, and u need one) and the leads are thicker, so if you want u could try but you might have problems with the hole.
Thanks asuslover, I just started to know what for and why. Now I figured out what a capling capacitor :blush: is and why it is needed. I thought that everything , all capacitors should be changed on the MKS 2. Ok, I made the pictures on the crossover board is an Aluminium electric cap capling :wave2: capacitor. On the amplifier board there is a tantalum capacitor.

I heard that some capacitors are very critical to vibrations and if you knock on them, they resonate. The amplifier is in the speakers , enough vibrations. How good is the MKS 2 capacitor for vibration ?

Now I w'll read yours capacitors recommendation for crossover and amp , May be Silmic II and something mix. Silmic II look like soft on bass , so what people tell on forum, who know what speakers and system was .

A lot of information , I try understand what parts need order , what best capacitors for PS , for individual each frequency board crossover and amp .

Those speakers are really great sounding. I have rebuilt three over the course of my life. It would be nice to install upgraded amplifiers, especially in the mid and high sections. Use the same amplifier design for both.

-Chris

WOW, and you were silent. You can tell in more detail. please.:worship: :):)

anatech or any body , I have somewhere a link , vintage Russian TRI tube amps . I can search if interested.

There are a lot of realism in these speakers, the instruments sound very separate, they cannot be said that they are bright, or bass is full of brightness, they are very natural sounding , plus LF really good, , a lot of speakers cannot play very low .

All speakers have different voice and nobody perfect , plus the room is playing, that's why I use the digital equalizer on my computer Mac mini is my source. Jriver Player., plus DAC

There is a hump at 120 150 Hertz, possibly a room, maybe something wrong with amps .
I push down 2dB in the of 1000 Hz, and a little 3dB at 2800 Hz down .

The same interesting point, why it sounds differently day time and evening , now don't have 3D, a good stereo,very good , in the evening a wizard begins, the stereo turns into a 3D full presence of the musicians' room.

i listened thru youtube and couldn't appreciate the sound as much as you do. Another youtube channel (Antelope Zodiac wows owner of HiFi Solutions in Netherland), using same DAC, that's something i can appreciate. Martin Logan speaker is in a different league than your Braun but you said you have compared with boutique speakers... On the 3D comment, i think i can 'hear' it on that video. Nice white speaker like mine, my favorite appearance.
Just look this :forum and read what people talking how change sound if add simple foot under DAC: Center Stage With Pitch Perfect Sound . Magic ? No . forgotten knowledge . Torsion field so what I thinks

Then I visit High End showroom near my home and compare sound very expensive speakers with mine . I'm ask owner what system he got home , He tell me , a lot of different speakers , his favorite Martin Logan speaker.
Yes, lm317 is a complex circuit in a chip. the beauty of it is that it doesn't ruin the sound like many regulators do. I use it along with even the best regulator i have (as pre regulator) because of that non destructive character.
I check IM317 board on ebay is it very low price but not my voltage . Do you have schematic ? maybe I buy from ebay and rebuild right voltage .
i don't quite understand.
Sorry , a try tell so what on Ebay a lot of voltage regulators with different transistors, buckets just for a penny. Now I know Im317 only . Thanks .

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 98
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pashka,
I'm not sure what you want to know. I would try to give you an answer.

Sometimes equipment that isn't regulated will sound different with higher or lower voltage on the mains. Often the voltage rises at night since a lot of commercial and industrial shuts down at night. Lower draw on the AC allows it to rise. Also, for the same reasons, there is less noise in the air at night, so your noise floor drops and you can really enjoy your music system.

-Chris

asuslover I don't understand with WIMA 1uf capacitor I can recap all 1uf cap crossover board ? Schematic show polarize capacitors .
Sorry , I'm just started and don't understand a lot. SOON i'll be best , I got all ready oscilloscope in my house :)

On schematic green color 1uf polarize capacitors , so I can recap all with WIMA or just between crossover and amp ?

Thanks

Attachments

• braun ceossover 11501 copy.jpg
    braun ceossover 11501 copy.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 107
BTW, for MKS to fit on the electrolytics footprint, you need to find those with a maximum of 63V rating. In this position low voltage rating is okay. 16V is probably the smallest I have seen.

The maximum capacitance for such a smallish cap will be 2u2. You can increase the capacitance from 1uF to 2.2uF with better result. But not the one in the crossover as that will affect the frequency.

The crossover itself will benefit from higher quality capacitors. I use metallized caps for my crossovers, never compare the result with electrolytics. But for coupling caps, I don't know, I don't trust those smallish caps and prefer NP/BP. In my ears, some vintage NP/BP is equal or better sounding than Black Gate N.

Attachments

• Small_CouplingCaps.png
    Small_CouplingCaps.png
    756.9 KB · Views: 92
Replace with wima mks2 (film) or nichicon es(not polarized electrolytic )only the Coupling ( just between crossover and amp and before the crossover) caps , 6 of 1uf and 1 of 10uf.

Thanks .
asuslover did you compare MKS2 with MKP WIMA or Vishay Roederstein MKT1822 or you thinks MKS2 this is better for now option for this amp ? I know in future I can play with different caps .

Other question voltage on capacitors , WIMA and other film caps sometimes has high voltage like 63v and up , is this better for sound , coupling caps whit high voltage like 600v ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.