Ikea spherical speakers, first build done.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• _MG_7363.jpeg
    _MG_7363.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,241
  • bb1_MG_7373.jpeg
    bb1_MG_7373.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 578
  • _MG_8217.jpeg
    _MG_8217.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,095
  • _MG_8520.jpeg
    _MG_8520.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • _MG_8529.jpeg
    _MG_8529.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,226
  • _MG_9034.jpeg
    _MG_9034.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 1,225

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nice renderings. Nice look. There is a big advantage by mechanically tie them together back to back. Only one of my drivers has mechanical contact with the steel sphere, the other side is glued with silicon i.e. a soft bond.

Will they breathe enough with the thinner slot which I agree looks much better?

I have winISD on my computer now, still don't know how to use it. I keep on missing a few of the parameters and can't model the drivers.

Honestly I have no idea. Concept would work a lot better if they could be sealed enclosures...If I can get my hands on some cheap Tangband subs I will give it a go. Will require a friend brining some over from the states so not holding my breath.

Are you happy with yours, for me it was more a styling exercise, and making something pretty (but still functional) that emulated high end audio, a clone if you will. My next project is involving 10"/12" woofers in large cabinets, for 'proper bass' big woofers in big cabinets.

I do however have a raspPi lying around, would be fun to use the Airplay feature for an extra wireless sub!?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just did mine from what was available. Not a lot (but some) simulation was done. Then I apply EQ. They are sealed. They play really nice driven by 2x500W icepower. EQ and XO by a minidsp which I only run in the LF branch in the system as it didn't "cut it" (pun intended) for HF. This is a pity as I would like to delay my main speakers to align with the subs which I have in the corners in the room. The mains are about 2 meters in front of the subs. Still they play really good. And at max excursion, one cant feel anything touching the spheres - amazing and I think it is a really desirable property of a speaker cabinet.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/prestige/pdfdatasheet/h1208_l22rn4x_p_datasheet.pdf

It looked good :) ... well, the choice was made after looking at the overall parameters. Not much simulation was made. I hoped that EQ could fix the end result. Power handling and reasonably linear excursion was of course important. they works very well in a 25m2 living-room for music. Deep and tight but they wont play the paint of the walls. Still they can put out adequate high levels.

/

Hi,

@ TNT, Thanks a lot for the reply ! Was curious as this was not a typical fullrange that I would have used in the said type of speakers !!

Going by what you say it looks real good,But very sad that neither is the driver nor is the Ikea Bowl available where I live (India) so have to be content with reading the performance it rather than experiencing it first hand !

Regards.

And some more Ikea bowl speakers...

I thought the idea so out there it was cool in an offbeat way. So I decided that these should be pretty offbeat speakers. The spherical shape bade me think of retro sixties stuff, so I went to town on the retro sixties stands.

Results below...

Speakers_Stands.jpg

And

Speaker_Stand.jpg

Tested hanging from the roof, looking like a cheap Dr Who special effect...

Hanging_Test.jpg