Ikea spherical speakers, first build done.

fantastic idea. I do have a couple of ideas to offer.
1. counter weight the bowl/sphere in the rear, opposite the driver to off-set the weight and allow you more freedom in aiming the sphere on it's base.
2. consider trying a mid/tweeter combination driver, like the KEF UniQ as an example, where the tweeter is set in the center of the midrange. Then all you need is a powered sub and you have a killer sat/sub setup.

I love them. They look like a high end esoteric speaker set.

How about garden ornaments from Homebase (UK store) as in the link below! I used FR125s full range drivers, spray paint, rubber gasket seals around the driver, and drilled holes in the rear for speaker inputs (need ceramic drill bits!). They weigh over 12kg. I did make smaller versions using spheres from the same garden section. Great way to get into DIY speakers when I did not have any woodworking skills previously.

It took a lot of fiddling however. These IKEA versions are great candidates for bipole/iso-barik, as suggested by Einric.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...empting-full-range-surrounds.html#post1895059

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
IU'm closing in on an actual sounding speaker ;)

Just a quick trial to see how the weight of the bullet speaker (thanks IKEA) bends a stand.
The connecting ring and some internal parts were designed by EUVL.
So now I'm going to get a real nice looking stand made, and then: listening and measurement!

jan didden

Attachments

• bullet detail.jpg
    bullet detail.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 1,559
  • bullet front.jpg
    bullet front.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,533
  • bullet side.jpg
    bullet side.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,504
Trawl floats revisited

Hello, I'm new here, and this thread is why I joined.
I've been considering building some spherical speakers. I'd could just buy some Anthony Gallos, but those a pretty expensive over here in Finland, where I live. VAT, et.c. Also, no local dealer has them, so I'd have no way of listening before buying. Now the last part is true for a DIY project as well, but still...

Anyways, my build would be a full-range driver inside a spherical enclosure. LF cutoff at 90Hz would be provided (and fixed) by my AV-receiver, a nice Yamaha DSP-A2. Just add a sub... A ported 20cm/8" sphere and a Tangband W4-1757SB driver seems workable:

WinISD_W4-1757SB.jpg

I'm uneducated about this stuff, but I tried out (in the online WinISD) a few small drivers from the Tangband site an this one looked alright. Rather pricey and large, though, especially as the eventual goal is a 5.1 setup. I also have not figured out what the tuning frequency of the enclosure actually means. In this example, it's set at 69.36 Hz, below the cut off and above the free air frequency of the driver.

I'm considering a trawl float enclosure. A as far as I understand the text below, the rope holes in an trawl float are connected by a tube. Judging by pictures on the net, the holes are also flared. Cut it up right and you got instant bass reflex!:)

I'm thinking one hole up as the port, one hole down for mounting. This might also help minimize any bass boost from nearby walls. My living room is really small and has lots of unconvienently placed doors, also some walls are solid concrete and others drywall, making speaker placement problematical.

Would a build like this be worthwhile? I'm really looking for some high class sound. I got a deal on some second hand Anthony Gallo A'divas and Micros, but as I understand, the Ti-versions are significantly better, and those were the plain old ones... also not cheap, evenso.

Any comments are welcome!

I:-T

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For those seeking a truly robust, easy to use, spherical enclosure here's one made from a 10" fishing float to house a B110 Linn Kan woofer.

The tweeter was housed in a polycarbonate light globe on top of the float.

These spheres are actually a form of torus where the rope passes through the centre in more normal, net fishing use. They come in many sizes. The hard, through-coloured, orange plastic from which they are made smells of styrene when sanded vigorously.

The rope tube provides a perfect site for a bolt to hold the enclosure down onto a stand by using large washers. I bolted mine down to a 24" speaker stand. It provides a diffraction free enclosure which should, in theory, provide the smoothest frequency response of any enclosure. The sharp edges of the pressed steel, B110 driver basket might be trimmed to achieve a flatter edge to this end. The plastic readily takes a tap, cut thread or self tapping screws.

Being pressure resistant, air-tight they make an ideal, simple enclosure for the experimenter. They are also remarkably cheap. No doubt they will take a spray paint to taste if the gloss is rubbed off with fine sandpaper. Tough as old boots, mine have been lying in the garden since I moved onto other things without sign of degradation.

P.S
For someone lookig for a drop-shaped enclosure, take a look at this:
poijut.jpg
A diffrent kind of float, dunno if its hollow.