IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Hi Ian,
Lately, you make a lot of improved versions of your products. Are you planning to make an upgraded version of your ESS DAC hats?

Hi sazzz,

As a pure DAC HAT, the ES9038Q2M Dual Mono is already very good. With the new OPA861 zero feedback I/V, it's capable to challenge all high-end DACs.
If I have time, I would be interested in developing a ES9038 Pro DAC or a R-2R DAC.

Ian

Reactions: 2 users
the LifePo4s have arrived :)

Attachments

• IMG_2639-Bearbeitet.jpg
    IMG_2639-Bearbeitet.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: 1 user
OPA861 zero feedback fully balanced I/V stage board

https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/blob/master/RPiDacHAT/IVboards/OPA861IV/OPA861IV.pdf
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload
https://twitter.com/iancanadaTT

The sound style is also totally different from a traditional I/V stage. According to my own listing test, it brings the best clarity so far I have experienced. The sound is very detail and at the same time is also very rich. The soundstage is widely open and focused. The music is vivid and dynamic. It doesn't color the music but just makes it more close to the original. I cannot say it is the perfect I/V stage, but I have to say it's the most impressive one.

OPA861 is a very special operational transconductance amplifier. It has super-high slew rate up to 900V/us over a wide bandwidth extended to 80MHz. The OPA861's performance is pretty much like a super transistor. In current input voltage output mode with zero feedback, the input impedance can be less than 10 ohms. This very low input impedance (closed to short circuit) and the ultra-high speed make it almost the perfect solution of an I/V converter. Actually, OPA861 was confirmed very successful as the SE I/V stage for TDA1541 DAC.
Thanks Ian, your cards are great and I follow all the news. I made my source with the FifoPi Q3(signal from JLSound card I2S over USB), Accusilicon (90,... and 98,... MHz) , your dual mono DAC and output with Bisesik transformers. All channels individually supplied with linearPi with Ucconditioner. The result is the best I've been having so far (software: Roon, HQplayer and Gentoplayer for the last stage). I would be interested in this new stage board but I have a question:
You advise to power supply the stage board with a dual linearPi with Ucconditioner but if I'm not wrong they provide only +5V ? So how do you connect the -5V GND +5V of the stage board ? Or do I miss something ?
Thanks for your help and again for your work, Flifli

Thanks Ian, your cards are great and I follow all the news. I made my source with the FifoPi Q3(signal from JLSound card I2S over USB), Accusilicon (90,... and 98,... MHz) , your dual mono DAC and output with Bisesik transformers. All channels individually supplied with linearPi with Ucconditioner. The result is the best I've been having so far (software: Roon, HQplayer and Gentoplayer for the last stage). I would be interested in this new stage board but I have a question:
You advise to power supply the stage board with a dual linearPi with Ucconditioner but if I'm not wrong they provide only +5V ? So how do you connect the -5V GND +5V of the stage board ? Or do I miss something ?
Thanks for your help and again for your work, Flifli

Hi Flifli,

You can connect the two 5V LinearPi in this way:

(+5V) +LinearPi- -(GND)- +LinearPi- (-5V)

Please make sure each of the LinearPi has independent coil.

Ian

Last edited:
Hello,

Is the new TransportPi Digi SQ-wise equalant to a FifoPi Q7 + old TransportPi ?
im looking for a cheap but still very good DD Converter for my new Aune X8, so im considering buying a IsolationPi + TransportPi Digi, is this the way to go?

Im also curious of any opinions for, for example allo vs ian canada products in this categorie, it would be my first ian canada purchase

also curious how the UcConditioner/LinearPi/BatterryPS perform and if its worth the money, it seems quite expensive since a few modules are needed

@Ghoostknight

If you want lower price but still very good RPi DDC, TransportPi Digi is something you won't miss. It has a built-in discrete re-clock stages and replaceable XOs. The signal quality can be even better than the old TransportPi.
https://github.com/iancanada/Docume...tPi/TransportPiDigi/TransportPiDigiManual.pdf

And also, a UcPi , the new ultra capacitor power supply would also be great to work with, inexpensive too.
https://github.com/iancanada/Docume...UltraCapacitorPowerSupply/UcPi/UcPiManual.pdf

TransportPiDigiUcPi
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

If you want lower price but still very good RPi DDC, TransportPi Digi is something you won't miss. It has a built-in discrete re-clock stages and replaceable XOs. The signal quality can be even better than the old TransportPi.
https://github.com/iancanada/Docume...tPi/TransportPiDigi/TransportPiDigiManual.pdf

And also, a UcPi , the new ultra capacitor power supply would also be great to work with, inexpensive too.
https://github.com/iancanada/Docume...UltraCapacitorPowerSupply/UcPi/UcPiManual.pdf
i have a few question
1. is it still beneficial to use a isolationpi? or do i dont need it for this setup?
2. is there a difference between the UcPi and the UcConditioner? or are they essentially the same with different formfactors? (i notice the caps on the UcConditioner are much bigger)
3. is the UcConditoner and UcPi still beneficial to the voltage behind LDO`s ?

@Ghoostknight

1. is it still beneficial to use a isolationpi? or do i dont need it for this setup?
I suggest without first. You can upgrade with a IsolatorPi later after the system gets stable so that you can feel the possible improvements.

2. is there a difference between the UcPi and the UcConditioner? or are they essentially the same with different formfactors? (i notice the caps on the UcConditioner are much bigger)
They work in the same principle, the only different thing is that UcConditioner can use bigger UCs.

3. is the UcConditoner and UcPi still beneficial to the voltage behind LDO`s ?
They both work in parallel mode, so will be still benefit from the good power supply as input. You can use 5V linear power supply such as a LinearPi as a better option to a standard Switch mode USB power adapter.

@iancanada thanks a lot for the fast answer!

to 3.
ah, this wasnt the question i meant but its good to know, so basicly the input has "full effect" on the output but the capacitor act as a reservoir parralell to it?
i thought first it will act as like a "buffer". Which benefits does the cap have then? isnt it just good for balancing amp spikes then?

my initial 3. question was if i have a setup like this : LinearPi 5v -> UcConditioner 5v -> LDO (for example to convert to 3,3V), will the UcConditioner still be benificial to the 3,3V rail then? or does the 3,3V LDO pretty much determine the quality of the 3,3V rail fully by itself and its specs?

But i have to say, linear power supplys with super capacitors are rather expensive, so the UCConditioner seems like a really cheap solution to upgrade a power supply with super capacitors, really great! just curious how it will sound, the best power supply i heared so far was the IFI ipowerX

My Plan looks like this: building a high quality streamer on a budget and seperating power supplys from it, so i can basicly build seperate 5V power supplys (preferably two, one for the dirty side and one for the clean side) instead of one whole unit with integrated power supply, just for later flexebility :)
I will probably end up with something like the LinearPi + UcConditioner, seems in the end like a comparable cheap solution to ready made linear power supplys, just curious how it will compare, any shared experience is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hi @iancanada,

I am using the TransportPi Digi with the PurePi and Volumio Player and extremely happy with the PCM performance.
I however do have some issues getting DSD to work as expected. I am connecting to a Topping D90LE via HDMI I2S cable and have looked to the advice here and in other forums re the Topping settings for Mode B HDMI etc. Using DoP mode in Volumio with the HifiBerry Digi+ pro DAC selected.

1. The first issue is that the DSD enable output on pin 15 never seems to put the D90 into DSD mode. I can happily play DSD via SP/Diff Coax (for 2.8Mhz files) Could you confirm that this is expected, or if I am missing something re driving the hardware for the DSD Enable output correctly.

2. I hacked a HDMI cable to pull up pin 14 and changed the DAC to look at pin 14 for the DSD switch, and can now get 2.8Mhz files to play via I2S, but the D90 says that the bit rate is 11.28Mhz Is the Transport PI Digi Upscaling the bit rate here or is this likely just a false reading at the Topping.

3. I can't get any files higher than 2.8Mhz to play via I2S or SP/Diff. I assume this is a hardware limitation (corresponding to the stated max 192KHz PCM) If I set Volumio to use DSD Direct, then all DSD files are played as PCM 192.

Any help will be welcome.

Thanks,

Warren

@ wazmc

TransportPi Digi is a great ultra-low jitter digi transport at a really good price. But it doesn't support native DSD over the HDMI I2S output. DoP only.
However, the D90 doesn't take the DoP from the HDMI I2S input, that's why you have a problem with DSD music. So, you have to convert the DSD into PCM in the player software.

If you really went to play the ultra-low jitter native DSD over HDMI/I2S cable, there will be two options for you:
1. FifoPiMa + HdmiPi or TransportPi MkII
2. The flagship solution, FifoPiQ7 + HdmiPi Pro

Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Ian

Last edited:
where should i solder this small plug, the pins are straight, should i bend them 45 degrees?
on a picture i see the plug soldered on a board

Attachments

• E698D78B-1EBB-475E-9AF9-1A2AFC4F5C0B.jpeg
    E698D78B-1EBB-475E-9AF9-1A2AFC4F5C0B.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 118
  • 0FE60AF4-31D6-4989-995C-C4567697964F.jpeg
    0FE60AF4-31D6-4989-995C-C4567697964F.jpeg
    767.9 KB · Views: 129
  • AB353538-F658-46BC-81AF-39EAFB57EB64.jpeg
    AB353538-F658-46BC-81AF-39EAFB57EB64.jpeg
    701.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 1ABBA825-8A0C-4EA2-9574-B58B73D8F25F.jpeg
    1ABBA825-8A0C-4EA2-9574-B58B73D8F25F.jpeg
    668 KB · Views: 135
  • ian-canada-ess-sabre-90x8-controller-with-display.jpg
    ian-canada-ess-sabre-90x8-controller-with-display.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 118
@ Aiello

You are welcome. Please ask them before place an order just in case it was originally packaged wrong on my end.
yes no problem at all, this can happen :)
got a little further with my project, the inner covers are finished, and the super capacitors have a view window, the 4 circles :) and have a view of all your parts :) and will design another new enclosure :)

Attachments

• last.jpg
    last.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: 1 user