Hypex DSP module(s)

Are you eventually considering to measure performance increments you've been noticed? SNR, THD, etc?

With all the magic and power of DSP there are endless things you can do with your loudsepakers so why bother with cerafins etc around circuit being considered as one of the best designs in the industry?

I don't want to spoil you a party but seriously you should focus your inventing powers somewhere between electric current flows and your ears.

No offence, just try to argument your findings with hard facts. My feelings are that DLCP low-mids are actually very clean in subjective means and I feel that it probably beats majority of DAC's already equipped with cerafins here and there.

My post is also not the fact in objective mean.

Yes, totally true, I am not doing (a lot of) measurements. I did test some things that made the sound worse, like adding 2200uF/25V Elmas Silmic II on the powerlines after the SMPS powersupply. That made it oscillate and yes I can hear stuff like that and measure it as well. That is pretty easy because things sound and measure as broken/distorted.

The caps and the regulators (7805) in the DLCP are pretty mainstream and I curious if some improvementss there could help clearing the sound further. Changing some caps /powersupply additions did a lot with my UCD180/400s. I also am reading about upgrading powersupplys in the 9018/9038 range. Low ERS caps can also ruin performance, so it is indeed better to measure the influence on PSRR, noise, etc.

I am a bit amazed that no-one tried stuff like this already with the DLCP.

If only you'd see exact designs of analog output stage and DAC supply parts of the circuit you'd abandon the idea of replacing anything there, trust me. I am happy becouse I've been lucky and have seen it. After it had happened, I focused on developing interesting loudspeaker configurations and returned to just enjoying the music with my DLCP. I actually own two, configured to bring me 12 channels of DSP for experimenting.

If only you'd see exact designs of analog output stage and DAC supply parts of the circuit you'd abandon the idea of replacing anything there, trust me. I am happy becouse I've been lucky and have seen it. After it had happened, I focused on developing interesting loudspeaker configurations and returned to just enjoying the music with my DLCP. I actually own two, configured to bring me 12 channels of DSP for experimenting.

I have been thinking of buying 3 D/A converters of the newest type (9038)and feeding them from my Eventide H8000 DSP ;)

Acoustics/basstraps/early reflection suppression is also very important. I did a lot of that in my recording studio. There are always things to improve/test/try. That is why this is called diyaudio, isn't it?

I'm considering purchasing a DLCP to use intergrated with my UcD modules for a 3 way xover so over the past few weeks I've skimmed through the 145 pages of this thread and the DLCP manual as best as I can understand it, but have a couple of tgaps to close out.

The DLCP addon is essessive for my requirements which are digital inputs, volume control and USB input for programming the DLCP. However, I'm somewhat stuck on what I actually need if I don't go down the DLCP addon route.

My questions:

1. J2 I/O socket lists pins for SPDIF, AES, Optiical etc.
  • Does this mean the DLCP takes care of conveting to each format?
  • Do I simply wire in the appropriate jack to these or is there more to it? Does anyone have an example they could share?
  • I read the digial inputs are autosensing. Does that mean it doesn't require a source selector?
2. Volume Control - what are my options to control volume of the DLCP without the addon pack? What kind of know would I add o the device and where, alternatively can I add IR somewhere and control with remote?

3. USB - is marked as pins 5-8 of socket J3. Is this as simple as wiring a USB2 plug to these 4 pins?

My questions:

1. J2 I/O socket lists pins for SPDIF, AES, Optiical etc.
  • Does this mean the DLCP takes care of conveting to each format?
  • Do I simply wire in the appropriate jack to these or is there more to it? Does anyone have an example they could share?
  • I read the digial inputs are autosensing. Does that mean it doesn't require a source selector?
2. Volume Control - what are my options to control volume of the DLCP without the addon pack? What kind of know would I add o the device and where, alternatively can I add IR somewhere and control with remote?

3. USB - is marked as pins 5-8 of socket J3. Is this as simple as wiring a USB2 plug to these 4 pins?

1. I did a simple connection, just as it is written in the manual and everything works fine (Spdif with female RCA connector, AES with female XLR connector and analog). Unfortunately, It's hard for me to get proper Fiber Optic Receiver (for optical Spdif) but I'll do it soon, I hope so.

2. Don't know that, I'm using main volume knob on my sound card to control volume, but also would like to know if it is possible to connect some rotary potentiometer to control all 6 outs from DLCP, and where to connect.

3. Yes it is simple as it wiring USB2. just connect 4 pins to the proper legs on "female USB type B". (or any other you wish, but it is standard printer type).

hope I helped a little.. :)

Attachments

• hypex dlcp-2 copy.jpg
    hypex dlcp-2 copy.jpg
    912.7 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
This has made be think. I have an old Profire 610 kicking around has a volume control. As a fallback I could go SPDIF from the profire into the DLCP, but its another piece of gear so not ideal.

I think you can't control spdif out volume via any knob on the Profire 610, just thru the software. (maybe I'm wrong)
But, as long as you are in digital domain (USB from computer, spdif from Profire to DLCP) It should't be a problem..
Main problems are when you are doing some unnecessary AD/DA conversion before last stage (DLCP), especially if you are using some bad or average sound cards (DAC's).

I have Audient ID22, and my chain looked like this:
ID22 Optical Spdif out --> Behringer SRC2496 Optical in --> Behringer SRC2496 AES out ---> DLCP Aes in (all digital until DLCP)

Behringer just did digital conversion from Spdif to AES and ID22 have big nice knob which is capable to control digital and analog outputs at the same time.

Everything worked fine BUT, I did some measurements and compared Digital Inputs with Analog and didn't hear any significant differences so I decide to cut of some gear in my "audio chain", sold Behringer SRC2496 and now I'm using only analog inputs.
I'm pretty satisfied with the sound. (While I think It could be even better EQ-ed and crossed... but it's endless game :) )

Last edited:
Hello Sonocon,

Looking down on the micro Molex connector on the DLCP PCB from memory it is Top Left Hand Side Pin1, Top Right Hand Side pin2, Bottom LHS pin3 and Bottom RHS pin4. Again from memory 1 is balanced signal +ve, 2 is balanced signal -Ve, 3 is a mute signal for Hypex amplifier modules, and I cannot remember what 4, although it is probably screen for pins 1 and 2.

It is in the DLCP info downloadable from the Hypex website, so please double check, as this is from memory and I am in work mode, not relaxing DIY mode.

Regards,
Ray.

These are screen shots from the data sheet.
It's really simple to realise where to connect each wire.
Black point is PIN 1 and follow the arrows..

Hope it helps.. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 1.30.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 1.30.58 PM.png
    735.5 KB · Views: 430
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 1.30.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 1.30.40 PM.png
    253 KB · Views: 400