How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I not only speak to T, i have bought his products too, it's no match for analog
TT, I'm so fed up of waiting for digital sound to surpass analog , i will not spend big $$ on it anymore, i bought my last CD player 3 yrs ago , as i had planned that my next digital item will be hi-rez server and dac, i have yet to feel any is their yet, well especially the music ( this is about the music ).

Our group meet at least once a month and i have yet to hear any of the hi-rez stuff surpass analog TT, it's consensus ( 95% digital members, only 5 of us have a TT) consensus in audio is as rare as hen teeth, we agree rarely on anything else .. :)

Ironically, all my analog TT stuff was bought 25+ yrs ago, nothing is new , except cartridges , nothing is exotic, yet the digital struggles against it, now if you think i enjoy washing and vacuuming 25 lps before listening , getting up to replay or rushing to my seat to beat the first note of the track selected while constantly adjusting and cleaning stylus tips, then you need help !!!!

I want digital to work more than you think , it hasn't delivered, blame the industry, blame apple, blame sony, blame noise wars, Blame Sy ( my vote he's the culprit) ..

Take any Rudy Van Gelder recording from the 60's, cue up and go ...

DIGITAL who ..!!!!!!
you have heard the AMR stuff?

I dont enjoy it either to wash my damn vinyl. I have around 250 LP's all vintage jazz stuff and I wouldnt sell them for the world. I have all miles, coltrane, monk, ect. I have spent a little fortune in 2-3 years acquiring most of the jazz stuff I wanted.
Isnt it the reason why analog sometime is better its because of the mastering job that creates more problem when they use the CD format?

anyways, sorry for maybe having being rude. Since I have got john browns sd player sd1, I do not feel I miss much at all then my vinyl setup. I play more often the sd player since its way more useful to use, and the sound is really on par of my vinyl setup AND since I listen to a lot of modern stuff where analog is actually worse then the digital version, I'm glad to have a good DAC.

thanks for letting me know about your meeting with all the guys, but apart from analog vs digital, iseverybody agree that SS is better then tubes?

Last edited:
you have heard the AMR stuff?

I dont enjoy it either to wash my damn vinyl. I have around 250 LP's all vintage jazz stuff and I wouldnt sell them for the world. I have all miles, coltrane, monk, ect. I have spent a little fortune in 2-3 years acquiring most of the jazz stuff I wanted.
Isnt it the reason why analog sometime is better its because of the mastering job that creates more problem when they use the CD format?

anyways, sorry for maybe having being rude. Since I have got john browns sd player sd1, I do not feel I miss much at all then my vinyl setup. I play more often the sd player since its way more useful to use, and the sound is really on par of my vinyl setup AND since I listen to a lot of modern stuff where analog is actually worse then the digital version, I'm glad to have a good DAC.

thanks for letting me know about your meeting with all the guys, but apart from analog vs digital, iseverybody agree that SS is better then tubes?

I never said toobs were better than SS, where did you see that ... :confused:

For the record , i have heard excellent sound from both topologies, i prefer SS , my favorite toobs, were the MC3500 and the cary 805B SET , loved them ...

Work on your comprehension Murphy, i dont dis digital , i have spent too much on it over the years, i have all formats including tape, do you ..?

No matter how much is spent , it does not match the TT, worst the Tape, it's electronic sounding at best and this cannot be hidden, analog has pops and ticks and digital has electronic noise, a wanton glare in your face sound verses good analog.

If you were exposed to a good audio system you would be in agreement too, no one i have met when faced with this reality would or has disagreed...

PS : My last dac could have bought you a car and left change ...look it up dCs..
I have book written in the 50's by a Percy Wilson, an old guy back then, that remembers the days of acoustic record reproducers. He writes of when the electronic gramophone was first introduced and how the 'old school audiophile' swore (loudly) they would never give up on their beloved acoustic gamophones and horns.
A bit like you record playing type guys in the digital age, eh!:D

You could probably get all the soccer hooligans into one at the same time.

First McD hamburger I had was in the autumn of '87, following a lecture by the salvage leader of Smit Tak, on the lifting of the Herald of Free Enterprise.
Can't recall having had the pleasure again (nor have I ever been close enough to a zoo stadium).

1987, the year I learned to appreciate digital : Marantz CD94 (/CD960)
One out of two ain't bad.

No matter how much is spent , it does not match the TT, worst the Tape, it's electronic sounding at best and this cannot be hidden, analog has pops and ticks and digital has electronic noise, a wanton glare in your face sound verses good analog.
Unfortunately, you're listening to faulty digital sound - this is something that has nothing to do with the price of the gear, only very careful troubleshooting of the system as a whole will get rid of this. Substituting one expensive bit of kit for another one is almost guaranteed not to work, there's a gremlin or two there that has to be sorted out.

Again, the headache with reproduction from digital source is that you have to worry about quite a different set of distortion inducing mechanisms, one can't simply translate expertise tweaking typical analogue source components across to digital processes, there are other causes for problems ...

"Electronic sounding" and "glare" are classic distortion artifacts of digital playback - equivalent to pops and clicks, and inner groove distortion on vinyl. But, the former can be totally eliminated - since they are distortion added to the reproduction, by the system as a whole. The unfortunate characteristic is that as the system becomes more "revealing" and "transparent", the remaining digital distortion sounds worse and worse, subjectively far more unpleasant than analogue 'faults' ...

Unfortunately, you're listening to faulty digital sound - this is something that has nothing to do with the price of the gear, only very careful troubleshooting of the system as a whole will get rid of this. Substituting one expensive bit of kit for another one is almost guaranteed not to work, there's a gremlin or two there that has to be sorted out.

Again, the headache with reproduction from digital source is that you have to worry about quite a different set of distortion inducing mechanisms, one can't simply translate expertise tweaking typical analogue source components across to digital processes, there are other causes for problems ...

"Electronic sounding" and "glare" are classic distortion artifacts of digital playback - equivalent to pops and clicks, and inner groove distortion on vinyl. But, the former can be totally eliminated - since they are distortion added to the reproduction, by the system as a whole. The unfortunate characteristic is that as the system becomes more "revealing" and "transparent", the remaining digital distortion sounds worse and worse, subjectively far more unpleasant than analogue 'faults' ...

Yeah Frank,

that must be it 25 years of bad expensive digital , what was i thinking , what should i get , one of those ebay specials so popular here .. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've been listening to bad, expensive digital too - for 30 years in fact -- nearly every time I listen to demo's, and other people's systems. Just because money is thrown at a 'problem' is no guarantee that key aspects are 'solved' -- as people point out, a lot of that money simply adds layers of visual bling, and fashionable parts.

You could buy extremely expensive cars 50 years ago - on the road were they a match for a current el cheapo vehicles in terms of overall refinement ...?

Last edited:
Vinyl is imperfect, even so I am amazed at the amount of information contained on those disks. Recent cartridge upgrades have revealed more than a few details I had not heard before, instruments, backing vocal, and room ambiance lurking in the background, etc.
Which carries through to digital ... there is a staggering amount of of subjectively meaningful information on a typical recording, the majority of systems are miles away from cleanly revealing it - the shock one receives when a 'boring' recording reveals much closer to the totality of what has been captured is quite something ... ;)

Which also means that recordings can be replayed at extremely high SPLs, without hitting any format 'limitations', audible 'bump stops' :) - there's always more that can be heard within the recording ... ;)

I notice it most when I've had a long session listening to vinyl then switch to digital, it seems a little bit flat, very detailed with good bass etc but lacking a little something I just cant quantify. Dynamism perhaps?
No, they're classic symptoms of playback distortion, of digital sourced material - the apparent dynamics are flattened, deadened, there's a "boring" quality to the sound. An analogy to vinyl is, if the alignment of the cartridge to the record groove is poor then a lot of the musical impact is lost -- of course, with vinyl this sort of problem is well known, and readily 'fixed' - but in the digital world this is still a very dark art, unfortunately ...

Yes, I know some people love hearing perfect FR, and phase - something that solves all problems, I hear. If that rocks your boat, pretty easy to fix - rip all your music to hard drive, apply a correcting EQ, with exact phase adjustment, to all the files, to suit your current setup - and save as your 'working' music files. Voila, instant perfect system behaviour ... why worry about 'silly' adjustments to loudspeakers, and DEQX type units ...

Status
Not open for further replies.