How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK 45, time for you to explain how your turntable can reproduce DC while still tracking the record. :) If you think about this long enough, you'll see that every turntable must have a high-pass filter.

The B&O linear tracking one came close as it had a strain gauge cartridge that could respond down to DC. But a feedback loop was used to drive the tonearm across the record by servoing the DC component to zero.

crowing about vinyl noise level vs good dither?

...More importantly there is no correlation between noise and signal and this is not true for digital sources where "you have to inject noise to cure the disease"....!

you don't convince that you actually understand digital audio if you think dither is needed at 16 bits with vinyl playback level of noise in the signal

Wow , now we are at 8 hz , yep , you guys found something , maybe Sy will post a pic of his favorite toob amp passing an 8hz squarewave ..

Yeah ..;)

another hilarious "distortion" - as if subsonic frequency were the only CD "advantage" - how about any slew rate of signals with near fs amplitude above ~ 5 kHz - no stylus can track them - that would be the top 2 octaves of "conventional audio" that have a hard limit in vinyl playback that is worse than CD audio

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Oh, the wanton glare of digital... :O

An experiment every vinyl fan should try is to record the output of the turntable using some sort of good quality ADC and then play it back digitally. It sounds pretty much identical. One Stereophile reviewer (FWIW :) ) used a CD recording deck to compare high-end turntables this way.

As this experiment shows (or would show if you believed it) the problem with digital isn't the limitations of the format. It doesn't have any. The problem is the source material and how it's mastered. When you say "vinyl is better than CD", perhaps you really mean that the music and production values of the vinyl era were better than the CD era.

Hang on to those jazz records from the 70s because you'll never get anything like them in digital format, unless you rip them to digital files yourself. Probably not a bad idea to save wearing them out.
exactly, its the mastering that may creates the problem of digital, whereas the vinyl masters are most of the time much better. In 50's and 60's jazz vinyl VS the cd moder mastering, the difference is staggering sometimes.

Account Closed
Joined 2008
45, the stylus has compliance.

Yes, I know. And it is just that in my system. In a conventional arm one has a strong coupling to the arm. To be more clear here is a schematics of a conventional turntable with all its couplings and how the MOSS compares (the cross = removed and circle = vastly reduced). You can also see that the compliance of the cartridge is there while the arm resonance and the cartridge mount have been "cured enough" to avoid the typical subsonic issues. Sorry for the italian but it is quite clear to me anyway and one can use a translator....

Attachments

• Turnatable.jpg
    Turnatable.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Schem_Eldorado.jpg
    Schem_Eldorado.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 91

Account Closed
Joined 2008
OK 45, time for you to explain how your turntable can reproduce DC while still tracking the record. :) If you think about this long enough, you'll see that every turntable must have a high-pass filter.

The B&O linear tracking one came close as it had a strain gauge cartridge that could respond down to DC. But a feedback loop was used to drive the tonearm across the record by servoing the DC component to zero.

I have never said it can reproduce DC and actually there is no reason to reproduce DC. No music there! The high pass filter is decoupled and undesired resonance free. It is just simple as that. It is as good as it can get.

The B&O is not a solution for me, it still gets all troubles because feedback cannot cure the troubles at the same precise instant they happen. The concept is rather different: you just don't make them happen.

Also a Ferrari F40 could considered antique but if you ask the owners and those who drive it will think different! It still is THE supercar....!:D

Here is just the most recent example:

Ferrari F40 v Ferrari F50. Like You've Never Seen Them Before /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

Why do you listen to music? For work?
Comparing a Ferrari to a record is a huge stretch, you can repair a car, not so damaged vinyl.
If you are lucky you might pick up a pre-owned Ferrari T-shirt on your rummaging around thrift shops looking for vinyl.:D
I love to listen to music, more so since retiring, but I have no wish to involve myself in the ritual of vinyl anymore.

Account Closed
Joined 2008
Nonetheless, the resonance is greatly dominated by one of the terms, the effective mass of the cartridge and the stylus/cantilever compliance. No matter what you do elsewhere, that resonance is still there and it's still a second order filter.

And so? A violin has a resonance chamber, for example! That's the way the cartridge works. Don't forget the scheme is just modeling (i.e. an equivalent not the real thing).
The point was another one (i.e. the coupling between the arm and the cartridge). That is the "infamous" subsonic issue removed here. And usually such frequency falls (or it is made so that it falls) around 10Hz in most systems not 1Hz!

Account Closed
Joined 2008
Comparing a Ferrari to a record is a huge stretch, you can repair a car, not so damaged vinyl.
If you are lucky you might pick up a pre-owned Ferrari T-shirt on your rummaging around thrift shops looking for vinyl.:D
I love to listen to music, more so since retiring, but I have no wish to involve myself in the ritual of vinyl anymore.

I just buy another one just like when you have to change tyres! Without good tyres you can never get all of the performance....

The point was another one (i.e. the coupling between the arm and the cartridge). That is the "infamous" subsonic issue removed here.

It's not removed. No matter what you do elsewhere, it's still there. All you can do is move the frequency around by changing the effective mass. You can't make a massless cartridge/headshell, so that sets an upper bound for resonance frequency.

Account Closed
Joined 2008
It's not removed. No matter what you do elsewhere, it's still there. All you can do is move the frequency around by changing the effective mass. You can't make a massless cartridge/headshell, so that sets an upper bound for resonance frequency.

Is not removed in your system or what you have seen until now. Also you have to think in terms of useful band and not infinite band from DC which is not practical and basically useless.
There is no headshell in my system. The cartridge is ONE body with the arm. Look at the picture and you will see there is no headshell, no counterweight, no antiskating, no conventional pieces that just create undesired resonances in the working band!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I dont own any vynil records , gave them to my sister . Why would you want a media that deteriorates overtime ? i still own my first cd " Iron Maiden -Somewhere in time " in mint condition after 25 years of intense playing . Digital with the right dac and a well mastered record can sound better than vynil , not to mention high sample rate files and the new solid state drives that will be the best media yet.

Analog cassetes or reel to reel could be it but they also deteriorate overtime.

Dont get me wrong , i like listening to a vynil record , theres something special in it , but it´s not the best sounding media around , no way.

Funny, I have vinyl records approaching 60yrs of age (mono) and stereo records that are as old as I am (56) and they are in pretty fine shape for the most part. Stored with care and played clean with a properly set up TT they seem pretty durable.

I have thrown out about a dozen CDs because they had become unplayable on any drive or CD player I have. They all date from the 1980s and early 1990s and were well treated and stored. (No scratches, and NO armor all)

Account Closed
Joined 2008
How can you just buy another record, they are no longer being produced?

Have you seen how many you can still find around? There are so many records for buying which have seen little or no use. You just need to find them.
I have two copies of all my favorite records....
Then if you have so many records how many times you will play them if you want to listen to all of them? For classical music it is even better because the same music has been played by a lot of skilled musicians....

Account Closed
Joined 2008
Funny, I have vinyl records approaching 60yrs of age (mono) and stereo records that are as old as I am (56) and they are in pretty fine shape for the most part. Stored with care and played clean with a properly set up TT they seem pretty durable.

I have thrown out about a dozen CDs because they had become unplayable on any drive or CD player I have. They all date from the 1980s and early 1990s and were well treated and stored. (No scratches, and NO armor all)

In fact the vinyl is pretty an ideal material for storing music if properly looked after.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How can you just buy another record, they are no longer being produced?

Umm, plenty of new records available. Lots of new record pressing plants have come on line in the past couple of years. The market is small historically speaking, but about 5 million new records will be sold in the USA this year, and a little less than half that in the U.K. based on last year's numbers. Germany, France, and Japan amongst others have reasonably good markets for new vinyl as well.

Production consists of a lot of reissues of older material as well as a lot of new stuff.

Elusive Disc - Hardware, Accessories, SACDs, Vinyl LPs, DVD-As and MORE!

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment | Acoustic Sounds

https://www.google.com/search?q=record+pressing+plants

Also a Ferrari F40 could considered antique but if you ask the owners and those who drive it will think different! It still is THE supercar....!:D

Here is just the most recent example:

Ferrari F40 v Ferrari F50. Like You've Never Seen Them Before /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

Why do you listen to music? For work?

Best Ferrari ever made ....:)

you don't convince that you actually understand digital audio if you think dither is needed at 16 bits with vinyl playback level of noise in the signal

another hilarious "distortion" - as if subsonic frequency were the only CD "advantage" - how about any slew rate of signals with near fs amplitude above ~ 5 kHz - no stylus can track them - that would be the top 2 octaves of "conventional audio" that have a hard limit in vinyl playback that is worse than CD audio

Try applying those measurements for better sound , let me know when you succeed...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, I think you should read more carefully.
Indeed the arm is free, it is the cartridge-arm coupling (i.e. resonance) that is removed because they make ONE body. [snip]Then you are only left with the cartridge compliance which doesn't couple to anything.

How is that? The cart has compliance, and whatever it is connected to has an effective mass, no? The cart is coupled to something, it's not hanging in the air.
Any compliance-mass system has a resonance frequency with a Q. So how can it disappear here?

jan

Status
Not open for further replies.