How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that guy´s text 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed about higher sampling and bit rates. It was interesting and I think I must revalue some of my own experiences.

He mentions that "Neither audio transducers nor power amplifiers are free of distortion, and distortion tends to increase rapidly at the lowest and highest frequencies. If the same transducer reproduces ultrasonics along with audible content, any nonlinearity will shift some of the ultrasonic content down into the audible range as an uncontrolled spray of intermodulation distortion products covering the entire audible spectrum. Nonlinearity in a power amplifier will produce the same effect. The effect is very slight, but listening tests have confirmed that both effects can be audible."

Is that an argument for actually narrowing bandwith in builds with for example zobel filters on audio signal transformers etc, and that its not always good that the components can reproduce "out of hearingrange" tones?
Thanks Stajo this means my ears are OK and so is my equipment. Only other have to except that they fool them selves or do a faulty comparison.

Surely you are not saying transformer output is better than direct drive
I can not say that because it did no testing on that.

What I do believe without any prove but my experience with listening to audio rig.
Direct driven sounds hard and less natural to me then the transformer output of the tube amplifier. I think the loudspeaker is forced to do unnatural in the direct driven way and with high feedback level.
I can not start another project right now because I want to finish my loudspeaker I want to sell on the audiophile market.

As next project I want to make a amplifier PP with mosfet that has to go with the new loudspeakers. OPT is the bandpass filter.
It will become feedback because my speaker performs with very low distortion levels my current tube amp isn't good enough for this high level performance. And I want huge headroom for dynamics. I am thinking about 2x15W class A and 240W class AB mode.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Systems with limited dynamic range will sound better on digital, we have known about this for years, many of the pro digital comments is the very tell tale of such a phenom...

:note:
I think you are trying to convince yourself. You go on and on about how vinyl is better, why?

And then the SS vs tubes discussion, now thats too much. Tubes and SS can both be at the same level of quality, it all depends on the parts you use and design. A SE amp is pretty much the best thing possible in amps technology. Of course SS can be as good, but better? It will be, at best, in the same ballpark of quality.

why dont you tell us what is the DAC you compare to your vinyl rigs. have you tried all the best dac available. If not, how can you be so sure about your opinion.

Same with modern music, makes me laugh people are dissing all of electronica but they dont even heard 1/100 of whats been released since 2000.

Systems with limited dynamic range will sound better on digital, we have known about this for years, many of the pro digital comments is the very tell tale of such a phenom...

:note:

Sound better on digital? Source miserably compressed as is shamefully to often the case has lower crest factor; but this leads to higher occurrence of high slew rates. Attempting to put such signals on vinyl leads to records with shortened playable life due to inability of stylus to track high slew rate signals. Noby would ever press a test record with square wave, even square wave band limited to 20kHz. Even band limited to 10kHz and cut at half speed the resultant record would toss the stylus out of the groove.

If you meant to say that CD works better with crappy speaker than vinyl record does, then you would be off topic.

I think you are trying to convince yourself. You go on and on about how vinyl is better, why?

And then the SS vs tubes discussion, now thats too much. Tubes and SS can both be at the same level of quality, it all depends on the parts you use and design. A SE amp is pretty much the best thing possible in amps technology. Of course SS can be as good, but better? It will be, at best, in the same ballpark of quality.

why dont you tell us what is the DAC you compare to your vinyl rigs. have you tried all the best dac available. If not, how can you be so sure about your opinion.

Same with modern music, makes me laugh people are dissing all of electronica but they dont even heard 1/100 of whats been released since 2000.

The Irony..... :)

Very obvious to me your limited audio experience, 20 yrs from now you will tell me thank you, ironic you dis analog TT, then make these silly tube vs SS comments.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
The Irony..... :)

Very obvious to me your audio experience, 20 yrs from now you will tell me thank you, ironic you dis analog TT, then make these silly tube vs SS comments.
I diss analog TT? I use and love my TT setup. I love my analog setup ok. I have never said otherwise.

But you dont like your digital setup so you diss digital. that is whats happening.
You go on and on and laugh at anyone claiming digital can be as good as analog because you dont like your digital setup.
Maybe you have never heard the top of the line dacs and so think all digital sucks. Maybe, is that a possibility? What is the DAC you use to say over and over how digital isinferior to your vinyl rig? That is the only question you should answer.

But you wont answer :)

BTW, yes I have a limited experience, but as I already told you, I talked to Thorsten Loesch, John Brown, and a lot of others that likely have heard much more then you, and the tubes vs SS and analog vs digital has already been beaten to death, and those guys all think both are equal if well implemented. This is why I have a trouble beleiving what you say.

Last edited:
Work on your comprehension Murphy, i dont dis digital , i have spent too much on it over the years, i have all formats including tape, do you ..?

No matter how much is spent , it does not match the TT, worst the Tape, it's electronic sounding at best and this cannot be hidden, analog has pops and ticks and digital has electronic noise, a wanton glare in your face sound verses good analog.

If you were exposed to a good audio system you would be in agreement too, no one i have met when faced with this reality would or has disagreed...

PS : My last dac could have bought you a car and left change ...look it up dCs..

Last edited:
Work on your comprehension Murphy, i dont dis digital , i have spent too much on it over the years, i have all formats including tape, do you ..?

No matter how much is spent , it does not match the TT, worst the Tape, it's electronic sounding at best and this cannot be hidden, analog has pops and ticks and digital has electronic noise, a wanton glare in your face sound verses good analog.

If you were exposed to a good audio system you would be in agreement too, no one i have met when faced with this reality would or has disagreed...

PS : My last dac could have bought you a car and left change ...look it up dCs..

ahahahahah I like the PS line ahahahahahahahah!!!!!

I quote you 100%!!

I diss analog TT? I use and love my TT setup. I love my analog setup ok. I have never said otherwise.

But you dont like your digital setup so you diss digital. that is whats happening.
You go on and on and laugh at anyone claiming digital can be as good as analog because you dont like your digital setup.
Maybe you have never heard the top of the line dacs and so think all digital sucks. Maybe, is that a possibility? What is the DAC you use to say over and over how digital isinferior to your vinyl rig? That is the only question you should answer.

But you wont answer :)

BTW, yes I have a limited experience, but as I already told you, I talked to Thorsten Loesch, John Brown, and a lot of others that likely have heard much more then you, and the tubes vs SS and analog vs digital has already been beaten to death, and those guys all think both are equal if well implemented. This is why I have a trouble beleiving what you say.

If you would have paid attention he said he had dCs digital front end at least 3 times!

I talked to Thorsten Loesch, John Brown, and a lot of others that likely have heard much more then you, and the tubes vs SS and analog vs digital has already been beaten to death, and those guys all think both are equal if well implemented. This is why I have a trouble beleiving what you say.

I not only speak to T, i have bought his products too, it's no match for analog
TT, I'm so fed up of waiting for digital sound to surpass analog , i will not spend big $$ on it anymore, i bought my last CD player 3 yrs ago , as i had planned that my next digital item will be hi-rez server and dac, i have yet to feel any is their yet, well especially the music ( this is about the music ).

Our group meet at least once a month and i have yet to hear any of the hi-rez stuff surpass analog TT, it's consensus ( 95% digital members, only 5 of us have a TT) consensus in audio is as rare as hen teeth, we agree rarely on anything else .. :)

Ironically, all my analog TT stuff was bought 25+ yrs ago, nothing is new , except cartridges , nothing is exotic, yet the digital struggles against it, now if you think i enjoy washing and vacuuming 25 lps before listening , getting up to replay or rushing to my seat to beat the first note of the track selected while constantly adjusting and cleaning stylus tips, then you need help !!!!

I want digital to work more than you think , it hasn't delivered, blame the industry, blame apple, blame sony, blame noise wars, Blame Sy ( my vote he's the culprit) ..

Take any Rudy Van Gelder recording from the 60's, cue up and go ...

DIGITAL who ..!!!!!!

Account Closed
Joined 2008
Vinyl is better, no matter what gurus, measurements and theories say. One needs to have good turntable though which doesn't mean expensive at any rate but also means not really what you buy off the shelf or modified without solving the typical flaws of 99.9% of turntables on the market, regardless of their cost!
I listen to CD too. I own plenty of Cd's, as well. The only advantage of CD is that it is more practical. It is too compromised to be comparable....

Account Closed
Joined 2008
somehow I doubt 99.9% of the problems with vinyl can be cured by the world's best turntable - still have cutting, stamping, arm, cart, stylus errors/physical limits/engineering compromises before you get to the preamp and back to electrical signal again

It doesn't matter, it is still better than digital. You can doubt I have no problem with this.
The point is: it is FAR superior if the turntable can extract all the music recorded on it without compromising on anything which most turntables are not able to do. The preamp is really minor stuff in comparison....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.