How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't buy that many CD's nowadays but when I do, I rip them to FLAC using EAC then put them away somewhere, the loft usually. I've been trying out some 24/96 FLAC downloads lately, not sure they are worth the file size for what little if any benefit I have heard so far. What is the point of something like say - a Led Zeppelin album in this format? it's so poorly recorded that it might as well be MP3 192 kbps. Far too many modern recordings are also too processed sounding, a wasted effort.

Instead of arguing with each other, maybe we should direct our venom at the record industry. Otherwise the point of having decent hifi equipment will soon be lost IMO.

You are 100% correct!

It would be cool if we could group by areas and organize a convenient extensive listening session and then post here the highlights! That would be extremely productive but probably very hard to put in practice!

You are 100% correct!

It would be cool if we could group by areas and organize a convenient extensive listening session and then post here the highlights! That would be extremely productive but probably very hard to put in practice!

Maybe we could start a 'well recorded music' section, list what we think is well produced and worth listening to let alone buying. Some artists and groups/orchestras etc still make the effort to ensure that their recordings are decent, worth buying.

k, so your saying that tube is inferior to SS?

YES! Please read the article from stereophile then come talk to me!
While vinyl and digital are two completely different solution to reproducing a time domain analogue signal, when obviously one of them is clearly wrong, tube vs SS is the same soup doing, but tube pas the fee for limited technology (only one channel) and lots of other issue I mentioned.
Going bit more in depth, the output transformer and the ac coupled stages are the reason why they can't compete sonically to a well designed SS (haven't even scraped the surface of transconductance, frequency response, noise floor...)!!!

The tube vs solid state argument can never be won. There are many bad and some excellent examples of both around. I've heard tube amp's which sound incredible, clean, clear dynamic and silent during quiet passages. The best phono stage I ever owned used tubes. I know at least one designer who can build and 'tune' solid state amps to sound like tube's and make tube's sound MORE like solid state. It depends on implementation and it takes real effort. Tube amp measurements will not match transistors in areas like distortion but they can produce distortion levels so low that you wont ever notice it. When most speakers produce such high levels of distortion anyway, it makes getting too obsessed with amplifier distortion pointless. For me the downsides of tubes (when properly implemented) do not include sound quality. They do include purchase/build cost, replacement tube cost, too much heat on warm days, electricity consumption when we get charged so much for it nowadays (that has become an issue for me anyway) weight is also an issue - (my last tube power amp weighed nearly 40 kilos). Physical size is also an issue for me in a small UK house, I can't have several racks of kit set up in our front room.

If I had the money required, most of this list would cease to matter.

This is all in my opinion folks, there are no absolutes in this world.

The tube vs solid state argument can never be won. There are many bad and some excellent examples of both around. I've heard tube amp's which sound incredible, clean, clear dynamic and silent during quiet passages. The best phono stage I ever owned used tubes. I know at least one designer who can build and 'tune' solid state amps to sound like tube's and make tube's sound MORE like solid state. It depends on implementation and it takes real effort. Tube amp measurements will not match transistors in areas like distortion but they can produce distortion levels so low that you wont ever notice it. When most speakers produce such high levels of distortion anyway, it makes getting too obsessed with amplifier distortion pointless. For me the downsides of tubes (when properly implemented) do not include sound quality. They do include purchase/build cost, replacement tube cost, too much heat on warm days, electricity consumption when we get charged so much for it nowadays (that has become an issue for me anyway) weight is also an issue - (my last tube power amp weighed nearly 40 kilos). Physical size is also an issue for me in a small UK house, I can't have several racks of kit set up in our front room.

If I had the money required, most of this list would cease to matter.

This is all in my opinion folks, there are no absolutes in this world.

This is true. But again professional reviewer are willing to admit that neutrality on tube is not in pair with SS.
However I agree that there are tubes with excellent sound and viceversa...
I just personally think that a tube power amplifier won't be as flexible when driving different loads and can easily deliver much easier the necessary amount of power for the most critical and difficult passages..

This is true. But again professional reviewer are willing to admit that neutrality on tube is not in pair with SS.
However I agree that there are tubes with excellent sound and viceversa...
I just personally think that a tube power amplifier won't be as flexible when driving different loads and can easily deliver much easier the necessary amount of power for the most critical and difficult passages..

Absolutely my friend, tubes are excellent for amplifying voltage but sadly not very good with current. This is what's behind the trend for hybrid's but i'm not getting into the pros and cons of them ;)

Tube's are also more fragile and large tube power amp's cost a small fortune in shipping costs. I know this only too well :D

Enjoy what we have while we can.

Slainte

Davy

Absolutely my friend, tubes are excellent for amplifying voltage but sadly not very good with current. This is what's behind the trend for hybrid's but i'm not getting into the pros and cons of them ;)

Tube's are also more fragile and large tube power amp's cost a small fortune in shipping costs. I know this only too well :D

Enjoy what we have while we can.

Slainte

Davy

Yes that is a valid point!
Anyway, my amp, each monoblocks is over 150lbs :)

Hybrid is the way to go Imo, a pity very few attempt to do so ....
Digital source and analog amplification? Tube preamps? Can you be more specific?

And there's already a "best sounding recordings" thread(s).
As example, in his liner notes Lou Reed made a point of describing NYC Man as the best remixing/remastering possible from the masters, notably "I'm Waiting for the Man."

If anybody is wondering why digital can't sound better than analogue, this lecture helps understanding some simple concepts/reasons!
Thanks for ousting this..

Now you using troll speak.

You seem to have missed the part equating noise to bit depth, and that even best studio tape machines are only equivalent to 14 bits.

Even quietest commercially available electronics have noise floor above 24 bits, even the electronics in 24 bit A/D and D/A converters.

How many records in your collection are direct to disc?

Digital can sound no better than the analog signals fed into it; and analog output can be no better than the performance of its electronics.

This element remains same for vinyl record system, the bottle neck being the transcription system itself.

The first few pressings from a stamper are best. Assuming it is flawless, the first play may be very good indeed, accepting of course the limited channel separation, and the equalization required to make the record.

Vinyl is well suited to disposable music, and disposable money.

A nicer way to think about mechanical recordings is performance art: A great performance is something to cherish in memory, for no two performances are the same. But unlike performance art, where a future performance may well be better, each performance from a record can only be worse.

I suggest you review the lecture. Then you can demonstrate your understanding, and where it is lacking, forum members can tutor your understanding to higher fidelity.

Status
Not open for further replies.