Horn vs. Waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Skywave-Rider said:
The mains in that pic you posted are positioned so you can’t get reflections off the console at mix position.

I hate NS10 monitors, and always change them if they are there.
Yes, meter bridge mounting is a problem. We agree!! Yay.
Probably better to mount just behind the meter bridge, and depending on what’s in front of you, could avoid work surface reflections.

Take into consideration that the environment is changing rapidly, and console or work surface footprint is diminishing. In some cases, like I mentioned, a mastering room might have little or nothing. And I suggested this might be a good application for the Gedlee monitor.

If you see what I have said as criticism, perhaps I was responding appropriately or in-kind; but I’ve tried to take what you’ve said at face value as best I could.

I'm glad you took the time to find out about Hendrix, a lot of people don't know him these days. Hey, even I was young at that time ...LOL.

Those multicells in the pic aim surely at the desk area by large IMO. How do they aim away, when the operators are mainly right there mixing, I don't get it.

Anyway studios are getting better its true. And big names in studio consultancy can push new trends. I will be happy to see some ESP15s in a prestige facility, installed by you. It will credit you back for sure. No purple haze in their dispersion patterns for sure!;)

Skywave-Rider said:
The mains in that pic you posted are positioned so you can’t get reflections off the console at mix position.

I hate NS10 monitors, and always change them if they are there.
Yes, meter bridge mounting is a problem. We agree!! Yay.
Probably better to mount just behind the meter bridge, and depending on what’s in front of you, could avoid work surface reflections.

Take into consideration that the environment is changing rapidly, and console or work surface footprint is diminishing. In some cases, like I mentioned, a mastering room might have little or nothing. And I suggested this might be a good application for the Gedlee monitor.

If you see what I have said as criticism, perhaps I was responding appropriately or in-kind; but I’ve tried to take what you’ve said at face value as best I could.

I'm glad you took the time to find out about Hendrix, a lot of people don't know him these days. Hey, even I was young at that time ...LOL.

Those multicells in the pic aim surely at the desk area by large IMO. How do they aim away, when the operators are mainly right there mixing, I don't get it.

Anyway studios are getting better its true. And big names in studio consultancy can push new trends. I will be happy to see some ESP15s in a prestige facility, installed by you. It will credit you back for sure.

salas said:

Anyway studios are getting better its true. And big names in studio consultancy can push new trends. I will be happy to see some ESP15s in a prestige facility, installed by you. It will credit you back for sure. No purple haze in their dispersion patterns for sure!;)

katopis said:

Anyway studios are getting better its true. And big names in studio consultancy can push new trends. I will be happy to see some ESP15s in a prestige facility, installed by you. It will credit you back for sure.

Sockpuppet

Interesting double there...

Well, I am not a studio designer, though I have worked with design firms as a client, so I am familiar with the process. But thanks in advance anyway.

With the big Smith-horn monitors, just look at it geometrically, the reflection off the console should be below the engineer's head. Now off of the small piece of real estate called the meter bridge...could be a problem, though looks like it goes above the engineer's head. I can't tell from a pic, anyway.

Gonna layback and let the science guys riff.

salas said:

katopis said:

gedlee said:

I'm sorry, my mistake. I appologize, it was Macka that was being so rude. I won't respond to that.

The only place that you can here these speakers is here at my home or in Bangkok, Thailand.

Earl,

I was not being rude.

As you know you are on an open forum and you do NOT have the luxury of your own web site where you can project anything you like without feeback except lack of sales.

My point is you made the statement about the studio environment (which flys in the face of everything) without any factual scientific support information because it suited you to do so at the time.

Your have a nasty habit (as a scientist) of doing that.

I have no issue with you promoting your idea but please dont make misleading representations for the purpose of creating a following.

iMac

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Magnetar said:

Sockpuppet

I posted from a friend's laptop bcs I was absent and forgot to log out his name. Then I posted exactly the same from my account so it is obvious it is me. My post came up first bcs the other account got moderation delay since he never posts, just reads.

I am a member from 2002 here. You should wait for an explanation Magnetar. Thanks. You are quite suspicious. But be open eyed too and see that I would not have made a carbon post with my nick if I intended to use an alias! BTW are you Romy the cat of goodsoundclub?

Skywave-Rider said:
Interesting double there...

Well, I am not a studio designer, though I have worked with design firms as a client, so I am familiar with the process. But thanks in advance anyway.

With the big Smith-horn monitors, just look at it geometrically, the reflection off the console should be below the engineer's head. Now off of the small piece of real estate called the meter bridge...could be a problem, though looks like it goes above the engineer's head. I can't tell from a pic, anyway.

Gonna layback and let the science guys riff.

salas said:

I posted from a friend's laptop bcs I was absent and forgot to log out his name. Then I posted exactly the same from my account so it is obvious it is me. My post came up first bcs the other account got moderation delay since he never posts, just reads.

I am a member from 2002 here. You should wait for an explanation Magnetar. Thanks. You are quite suspicious. But be open eyed too and see that I would not have made a carbon post with my nick if I intended to use an alias! BTW are you Romy the cat of goodsoundclub?

don't worry I do it all the time

EconoWave:

Attachments

• csd.jpg
    csd.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 571
Multi resolution spectrograms

.... are very nice

are there any tests with known systems?

Unless the windowing and graphics are just right it is harder to know what is real and what artifact, without some reference.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the software used, or would test it myself.

Ken

edit - shortened.

Hello

I threw a wrench into things. Two are EQ'd number 1 and number 3. It seems that some of you are using the high frequency roll off in the some of the plots as part of your determination as to which is which.

What is unique in the time domain between a Wave Guide vs. a Horn?? Are there tell tail artifacts in the CSD's that can be used to see the reflection back into the horn??

I would assume them to be shown and the longer decay rates that seem to be a intervals that are tied to "holes" that appear and then dissapear as the time interval increases.

I am going to attach an non-EQ'd plot for number one and post pictures for the horns and waveguide to but a face on them so to speak.

Thanks for your input

Rob :)

Attachments

• csd #1 no eq.jpg
    csd #1 no eq.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 630
macka said:

Earl,

I was not being rude.

You are.

My point is you made the statement about the studio environment (which flys in the face of everything) without any factual scientific support information because it suited you to do so at the time.

Untrue as all of the other posts have attested to.

Your have a nasty habit (as a scientist) of doing that.

Your opinion.

I have no issue with you promoting your idea but please dont make misleading representations for the purpose of creating a following.

I don't

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.