Horn vs. Waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Per an agreement that I made from another thread, I received, measured, and evaluated a very inexpensive JBL horn coupled to an inexpensive Selenium driver. I'm not going to look up the model numbers someone else can post those.

I have posted my results at http://140.174.80.168/Papers.htm because they are too big to attach here directly.

As I said before, this is not a waveguide, it is a diffraction horn. It acts just like every other diffraction horn that I have measured and nothing about the measurements that I got surprised me.

Please DON'T ask me how it sounded since I never listened to music through it. From the noise signal I could tell that it was very resonant and the data shows that quite clearly.

These parts may be a very good deal for the money, but they are certainly not of the caliber of devices that I would choose to use in any of my systems.

Sorry if this disappoints anyone out there. I took the time to look at it, but I'm not about to tell you that it good quality. The results speak for themselves.

I love horns.... you can say what you want at the end of the day, they sound great and if people like what they are getting from them, that is their prerogative.

I think you do yourself a disservice. The most likely customers for your product are those who enjoy horns. By slamming their taste, you don’t do yourself any favor. I know you pride yourself on science and objectivity but there is also something called tact. The guys who sent you that horn loved it. Are they delusional or mislead? I don’t think so…. they liked it for a reason. Maybe if you would drop your dogma for a minute and consider what it is they like, rather than what the SHOULD like, you might get a little more acceptance of your product.

Kevin Haskins said:
I love horns.... you can say what you want at the end of the day, they sound great and if people like what they are getting from them, that is their prerogative.

I think you do yourself a disservice. The most likely customers for your product are those who enjoy horns. By slamming their taste, you don’t do yourself any favor. I know you pride yourself on science and objectivity but there is also something called tact. The guys who sent you that horn loved it. Are they delusional or mislead? I don’t think so…. they liked it for a reason. Maybe if you would drop your dogma for a minute and consider what it is they like, rather than what the SHOULD like, you might get a little more acceptance of your product.

I already appologized for hurting your feelings so there is no need for this kind of comment.

I suppose you were looking fora confirmation of your opinions and anything less was going to ruffle your feathers.

And yes, I love Waveguides too. I wouldn't use anything else. I just wouldn't use that one.

Kevin Haskins said:

I, for one, am in no way hurt or offended, Kevin. They are what they are, and there is value in knowing what that is.

The results speak for themselves. Everything in context.... :up:

gedlee said:

I already appologized for hurting your feelings so there is no need for this kind of comment.

I suppose you were looking fora confirmation of your opinions and anything less was going to ruffle your feathers.

And yes, I love Waveguides too. I wouldn't use anything else. I just wouldn't use that one.

Actually, I wasn't the one who sent you the horn in question nor have I ever used it.

You have ruffled my feathers though. You should use some tact in how you treat people.

tinitus said:
Funny though, how this clearly shows the difference between measurements and listening...they can never be the same

It is funny - because they CAN be the same - measurements virtually always confirm my listening experience. And if they don't then I seek out the answer to "why don't they?". That doesn't happen very much anymore, although it used to.

tinitus said:
I deleted that one as I could see the rubbish...yes, measurements do tell a story, but may not be the end of it

Personally I think that it is the interpretation of data that is the problem not the actual measurements. You need to know what to look for and at and what to ignore.

For example the full polar responses for a loudspeaker tell a different story than just the axial response and yet, how often do you see full polars?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks so much for look at this, Earl. I was about to go buy one. Actually it was the bigger 12x12 I wanted.

Gotta say, if the little JBL horn is anything like the ones they use in the Eon series, well.... you can keep it. They are "OK", but that's all.

gedlee said:
You need to know what to look for and at and what to ignore.

And that comes with what? Experience.
(but teaching can jump start it)

...how often do you see full polars?

Not often. Selenium is the only company I can think of who publishes them.

Question is: Once you have the polars, what do you do with them? But that's for another thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.