GainWire Mk3 CFA pre/phone amp with very low distortion

The boards are finally here after some time at the custom office. I will send the boards tomorrow, still waiting for malvin payment.
Damir

Attachments

• PCB-last batch.jpg
    PCB-last batch.jpg
    823.2 KB · Views: 446
My balanced version with relays volume controller and inputs selector is slowly being assembled.

Attachments

• GainWire mk3 boards.jpg
    GainWire mk3 boards.jpg
    822 KB · Views: 535
  • GainWire mk3 boards_closelook.jpg
    GainWire mk3 boards_closelook.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 500
  • Relay Volume controller.jpg
    Relay Volume controller.jpg
    697.7 KB · Views: 499
  • Relay Volume controller b.jpg
    Relay Volume controller b.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 469
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Dadod,
I just built the Shunt Regulator portion of the GW Mk3. I substituted the 8.6v zeners with 9.1v - hope that is not the problem. I only have one of the +ve rails working where the voltage adjusts and I can feel heat burning off on the heatsink. The others are pegged at -19.36v and +18.35v no adjustment possible and no heat from the shunting. Could I have some bad MOSFETs. I added some LED's to show power on each rail. I am also running 0.22R vs 0.1R near the outputs. Otherwise, I am following the specified parts. So where to debug?

600773d1487741995-gainwire-mk3-cfa-pre-phone-amp-very-low-distortion-gainwire-mk3-psu-build-photo-1.jpg

Attachments

• Gainwire-Mk3-PSU-build-photo-1.jpg
    Gainwire-Mk3-PSU-build-photo-1.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 690
Dadod,
I just built the Shunt Regulator portion of the GW Mk3. I substituted the 8.6v zeners with 9.1v - hope that is not the problem. I only have one of the +ve rails working where the voltage adjusts and I can feel heat burning off on the heatsink. The others are pegged at -19.36v and +18.35v no adjustment possible and no heat from the shunting. Could I have some bad MOSFETs. I added some LED's to show power on each rail. I am also running 0.22R vs 0.1R near the outputs. Otherwise, I am following the specified parts. So where to debug?

600773d1487741995-gainwire-mk3-cfa-pre-phone-amp-very-low-distortion-gainwire-mk3-psu-build-photo-1.jpg

Hi xrk971,
Your heat sink looks to small. A shunt regulator without load will dissipate all power, in this case between 3 and 4 W, depends of DN2540 CC current.
When load connected, in this case preamp part, it will take part of power dissipation, about 1.5 W and the shunt regulator will dissipate less.
Zener of 9.1 V is OK.
Regarding non working side, check all diodes orientation and soldering on back side. Check the mosfets too.
BR Damir

Attachments

• GainWire mk3-GNFB-CFA-BOM-b.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 105