Full range line array for wall or corner placement

This morning I've got a DMA45 CBT simulation to show off

attachment.php

I manually EQed for the array rolloff and combing ripple to give myself more control. I just flattened the first such ripple, which except in the area of that correction left the listening window very close to the axial response but still had that concerning peak in the power response.

However, I'm beginning to be convinced that its a computational/simulation artifact and not a real thing. For one the white bars in the polar map are just to straight. For another, the size of the peak depends on how the power response is calculated. Vituix has two options, with on a cylindrical surface intuitively seeming more appropriate for line arrays:

attachment.php

The responses also change not dramatically but still significantly with angle step options. I'm assuming 5 degrees is most accurate but keep in mind that my directivity data is somewhat artificial - its been extrapolated from a measured (by Dayton) axial response based on piston size and baffle width.

Finally, there is no sign of the Vituix H Polar Map blooming in Don Keele's CBT directivity balloons for a similar CBT:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DMA 45 CBT manual EQ.jpg
    DMA 45 CBT manual EQ.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 312
  • sound on sphere vs on cylinder.jpg
    sound on sphere vs on cylinder.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 308
  • CBT directivity computed by Don Keele.jpg
    CBT directivity computed by Don Keele.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
I went back to my straight line array simulation again and recalled something from my simulations during the initial design. I initially put those drivers in to see how far down it extended the vertical directivity. But with those image drivers in the HF reflections from those more distant drivers cause that severe combing shown in my post a few days ago.Without them the picture is more like one might expect in real life, smoothed and absent room effects.

attachment.php

The point from this is that while floor and ceiling reflections help the bass response and vertical directivity, they are not friendly to the HF response and we might be well served by carpets and ceiling tiles or diffusers in our listening rooms.

The equalization here is two stages of inversion like before with the 2nd stage being a placeholder for DRC in the physical world.

Recall the orange trace in the middle graph is the room response. This screenshot was taken with only the ceiling reflection included and that reflection causes the 7-12 kHz ripple.

More coming on the room response in next post

Attachments

• asca without ground image drivers.jpg
    asca without ground image drivers.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 274
More on room responses

attachment.php

On the left side, I'm showing room response with and without floor and ceiling reflections. Note what happens in the top octave and a half but also notice how the low end response flattens out at a lower SPL level. I don't really understand why.

On the right hand side, I'm showing the much reduced boundary interference with an asymmetrical driver placement in a corner line array and the reason I called my design ASCA for Asymmetrical Corner Array.

All reflections are included in the room responses below. I see an expected bass hump due to the corner support but just eyeballing it I don't think equalization of the upper part of that support will hold over a full +/- 10 degree listening window as the dips above the hump move with positon However, treating for nulls above 500 Hz is much easier than for 200 hz.

attachment.php

Attachments

• room responses.jpg
    room responses.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 257
  • corner support.jpg
    corner support.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 262
When I compare CBT vs Floor to Ceiling straight line array in corner position, I see its an easy win for the straight line array because it can be fit more tightly into the corner and therefore needs less absorption

attachment.php

but when the arrays are pulled well out into the room, its a different story:

attachment.php

Attachments

• CBT vs Floor to Ceiling out in the room.jpg
    CBT vs Floor to Ceiling out in the room.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 264
  • CBT vs Straight in corner.jpg
    CBT vs Straight in corner.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 259
Yet another view of the CBT's horizontal pattern showing that what looks like blooming in the polar map are horizonal side lobes. I still don't know if they are real or even if real that they will color reflected sound that finds its way back to the LP

attachment.php

Attachments

• horizontal sidelobes in CBT.jpg
    horizontal sidelobes in CBT.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 244
Back to the straight array, ASCA, the one I actually built. All this analyis confirms for that my situation a straight line array flanked by absorber panels will give me the best in room response.

I imported Vituix calculated in room responses across my presumed +/-10 degree listening window for ASCA tight in a corner and 6db absorpton. 2" of rockwool will provide at least 6 db absorption at the first null increasing to 10 db at 1.5 khz or so and above.

Note these FRs are psycho-acoustic smoothed; REW won't FDW an imported FR.

attachment.php

Corner support extends out to 500 Hz and will equalize nearly flat across the window. The two shallow nulls (two because the driver center is off center in the corner) will be better than +/- 3db when EQed to the average.

If it comes out that good in real life I will be very pleased; so far I've only used these speakers well out away from my garage walls.

Attachments

• Vituix Inroom response for ASCA tight in corner with 6 db absorption.jpg
    Vituix Inroom response for ASCA tight in corner with 6 db absorption.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 233
Well, since I'm actually looking for an excuse to design/build another speaker, I thought I should do a similar analysis for a CBT, not as tight in a corner and so with more absorption.

attachment.php

The responses are remarkably close together over the entire 60 degree window except for the horizontal sidelobes in the upper midrange/lower treble at 30 degrees off axis.

If I restrict the window to just 20 degrees, it looks even better.

attachment.php

the zero and plus ten responses are right on top of each other and so I would use the axial response for an EQ reference and sit between 0 and 10. If anyone is seated at -10 degrees, they will be within 3db.

Is this a case of CBT being better than straight floor to ceiling or just a case of more absorption being better. I think the former. The difference across a limited window between CBT and straight may be small but over a 60 degree window it is.

attachment.php

Finally you can see comb lines in the top octave for the straight line array that the CBt simulation doesn't show. (this last sim was with no absorption)

Attachments

• Vituix in-room response over +30 degree window for SB65 CBT toed in 40 degrees and 10 db absorpt.jpg
    Vituix in-room response over +30 degree window for SB65 CBT toed in 40 degrees and 10 db absorpt.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Vituix Inroom  response  across 20 degree window Unsmoothed but with 10 db absorption.jpg
    Vituix Inroom response across 20 degree window Unsmoothed but with 10 db absorption.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Vituix in-room response for ASCA in corner over 60 degree window.jpg
    Vituix in-room response for ASCA in corner over 60 degree window.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 224
Well, that isn't exactly apples to apples so here we go again

Across the full 60 degree window the corner response with no absorption really isn't too bad except for two sharp nulls, one of which is well off axis

attachment.php

Reduced to the 20 degree listening window, it looks even better:

attachment.php

but it does show a sharp null at 200 Hz where our target absorber panel,
4" thick spaced out 3" or 6" spaced out 1", only has 6db of attenuation

attachment.php

apparently 6 db is sufficient absorption to reduce that first null to less 3db variation across the entire 20 db window and less than 1 db in half that window

Attachments

• SB65 CBT Corner Response 20 Degree Window No absorption.jpg
    SB65 CBT Corner Response 20 Degree Window No absorption.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 289
  • SB65 Corner Response 20 Deg Window 6 db absorption.jpg
    SB65 Corner Response 20 Deg Window 6 db absorption.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 289
  • SB65 CBT unsmoothed corner response 60 deg window no absorption.jpg
    SB65 CBT unsmoothed corner response 60 deg window no absorption.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 300
The cleanest response may be with ASCA with the corner built out with 7" thick absorption panels

over a full 60 degree window

attachment.php

and over the central 20 degree window

attachment.php

which looks EQable to +/-1.5 db across the window

Attachments

• ASCA Corner Response- corner built out to provide 10 db absorption on walls.jpg
    ASCA Corner Response- corner built out to provide 10 db absorption on walls.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 301
  • ASCA Corner with 10db absorption -  10 degree window with average.jpg
    ASCA Corner with 10db absorption - 10 degree window with average.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 304
One other piece to this puzzle is to consider building out the corner with 90 dgree horn flares placed as close to the driver as possble instead of absorbers. I have already convinced myself not to do this because of issues with the far from ideal resulting horn throat seen in Axidriver. Here is what Vituix has to show about it.

attachment.php

You get a cancellation null that moves with off axis angle, deepest on axis. I would say that this confirms the previous conclusion that absorbers are the better solution. If you want to save absorber, build out the corner but leave room for an inch or so of absorber on the surface of the flare.

Attachments

• Corner response - corner built out as horn flares.jpg
    Corner response - corner built out as horn flares.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 287
I sent my Vituix file to Kimmosto and asked him about the horizontal sidelobes. He responded that I had the selected the wrong direction of curvature. To me, it was logical that negative Zaxis was behind the baffle. However its actually toward the mic, a "standard" inherited from LspCAD with which I have no experience. So I have been simulating an array focussed on the listener's feet rather than a CBT. I suppose I would be more embarrassed if I had a wider audience.

I don't think that invalidates my conclusion that the straight array is better for me or for anyone that needs to place the array in close proximity to walls. The closer to the corner, the less absorption needed to tame the boundary interference and the straight array can be closer.

Corrected DMA45 CBT response

Here are a set of pictures that present the corrected CBT response but for an array of 1.5" DMA45's rather than the 2.5" SB65WBAC25.

attachment.php

Since there is very little array effect ripple to flatten, the power response is proportionally smoother. Recall re' the room response below that the straight array does so much better with 12 db absorption provided by 4" thick pads.

attachment.php

Here are the polar maps. In general, we see a much wider response. The horizontal curve is surprisingly wide so I wonder if another embarrassment is hiding in my simulation. The vertical map is, I think, consistent with theory.

attachment.php

I had to import the simulated IR into REW and look at it smoothed to fine tune the response in the top octave. I looked at the spectrogram to see what it showed there as well. The lower frequency part of the spectrogram simply shows that I chose linear phase equalizer blocks for the most part in the simulation.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Array response flat driver model.jpg
    Array response flat driver model.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 266
  • DMA45 driver array response fully eqed.jpg
    DMA45 driver array response fully eqed.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 269
  • Polar maps.jpg
    Polar maps.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 262
  • ssmoothed equalized CBT response and spectrogram.jpg
    ssmoothed equalized CBT response and spectrogram.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 277
this morning I decided to see if frequency weighting would clean up the treble. I had second thoughts when I started to implement it on the CBT so I went to my ASCA straight array instead.

This picture compares the line array effects for both unweighted and frequency weighted 32 driver straight arrays. The grey traces in the top graph are the axial responses. The orange traces in the middle graphs are room responses and include just floor and ceiling reflections.

attachment.php

Equalization yields the following picture:

attachment.php

I see I left off the room curve on the weighted array equalization. That doesn't detract from the fact that it is dramatically cleaner, not only than the unweighted straight array but also than the CBT.

Attachments

• frequency weighted array equalized.jpg
    frequency weighted array equalized.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 276
  • frequency weighted array unequalized.jpg
    frequency weighted array unequalized.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 271
Frequency dependent weighting of CBT

This morning I attacked frequency dependent weighting of a CBT

attachment.php

The improvements are evident in this graph:

attachment.php

The top pair of traces, simulated response overlaid with psycho smoothed copy, is the frequency dependent weighted CBT. The improvment in the top octave is obvious. At the low end, I simply set the high pass filter cutoff down from 100 to 60 Hz, supported by the recovered headroom.

A few words on how I developed these weights on this picture:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Freq dep weighting.jpg
    Freq dep weighting.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 267
  • Compare Flat (lower) and Frequency Dependent CBTs.jpg
    Compare Flat (lower) and Frequency Dependent CBTs.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Freq dep wt development.jpg
    Freq dep wt development.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 269
Well the CBT does indeed have lesser vertical sidebands and they are confined to higher frequencies but that doesn't mean it has less ceiling splash. Explanation in the picture.

attachment.php

It was easy for me to confuse myself about the CBT being better in this regard because I still have some simulations with the CBT curve facing the wrong way around :)

Attachments

• CBT ceiling splash.jpg
    CBT ceiling splash.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
How does the response of a finite discrete line array vary with listening distance. We know that that a continuous infinite line has only the 3db per doubling of distance roll off as well as a -3db per octave. We have seen that the discreteness gives rise to some response ripple along that slope. In the following slide we will see position dependency in that ripple

attachment.php

Here is the simulated response in room where floor and ceiling reflections make it a quasi infinite array with improved uniformity of response:

attachment.php

This array inroom would be +- 3db over a 3m to 6m listening distance range when equalized for the center of the range, and significantly closer at most frequencies. You would definitely equalize for your primary listening position but it wouldn't be terrible further back in the room.

Attachments

• axial response in free space vs LD.jpg
    axial response in free space vs LD.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 221
  • room response vs listening distance.jpg
    room response vs listening distance.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 237