Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A snapshot of the page from the FH3 doc.

attachment.php

I would simply scale this to fir the FHxl and use a simple plate (without the wings) sB. Like we did in these FH-Lite:

FH-Lite-protosS.jpg

dave

Attachments

• FH3-sB.png
    FH3-sB.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 905
Center channel

Howdy,

I was looking over the plans for the FH3 and FH3 Lite and noticed that there aren't any plans for a center channel speaker on the Lite plans (or XL for that matter). Have any ever been drawn up? I'm considering a 5.1 home theater set up and would likely use the Lites due to space limitations. And perhaps just the stock enclosure for the surrounds. Any thoughts or suggestions?? Most likely go with the Fostex FF85WK since I already have a pair of those drivers.

The cente plans have been posted separately. They are all compact miniOnkens for centre channel use. Released as people asked.

Given time i can dig you up a set of URLs. Which driver is most important for your work?

dave

Thanks Dave,

I've seen the miniOnken plans on one of your websites, are those what you are referring to? The center channel speakers on the FH3 plans all have a more rectangular (and in landscape mode) enclosure, all of the Onkens I saw were more of a traditional (portrait) format. The driver I'm most interested in at this point is the FF85WK.

Bob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes. About 4 dB. The FE126 will sound like he has 2 x the power. But with the FE126 it is much harder to get bass (even with the aforementioned hiOutputR amp.

The 8Ω he said is the nominal speaker impedance and is related to the OPT. OutputR is a different thing.

I am working on a tutorialish thing on amps in “The Fringe”. A teaser.

TheFringe.png

Your guys amp probably falls into the same range as the ACA. Anyone in, or near the fringe needs to start to think about how the speaker impedance interacts with the higher output impedance of the amplifier.

dave

It's not super awesome, but it is effective for keeping the dog off the driver cone. It's an 8" woofer protector that I stuck on the front baffle with some 3M Command Strips that I cut to make them a little more narrow. I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the hardwood baffle...

Attachments

• Protected Center.JPG
    Protected Center.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 504
Joined 2003
Paid Member
driver clarification

Ok, I'm in the process of acquiring the flat packs, Thanks Bob! I'm confused, is the Alpair 10.3, the same as the Alpair 10M? I'll be running these with a 15W Son Of Zen. I have a pair of Alpair 10.2 that have been sitting in a box that I had planned on putting into the Pensil 10.2, haven't put that together yet. I've read here that those should be ok for the FHXL....any thoughts on a driver selection with the SOZ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Are you saying that this center channel is a miniOnken design? And if so, do you have drawings somewhere for one using the FF885WK?

Yes, it is a miniOnken, I checked, no i have not done the FF85wk one. It will be the same as the one for the A5.2 but with different venting & driver mounting details.

I will get onto getting a finished drawing done.

dave