Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

It is questionable whether that is all natural, but it might e worth a try. You’ll have enuff for a hundred pair of XL.

We use UltraTouch, made in the US, but sometimes hard to get it there in the right form. The felt carpet liner out of some older cars works well.

dave

Dave- looks like the thinnest I see is 2", is that what you use?

I can buy that at Home Depot! In 6-packs that is :)

Ive got some

Can I ask any members what specifically they are using for the 1/2 in felt? I'm in the US midwest, I've seen a lot of general references to materials but if someone can recommend a specific product that would be fantastic.

Hi,

I'm making flat packs of the Frugel-Horns and have plenty of the recommended felt insulation. Send me a PM and I can send pieces cut to fit your enclosures.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Frost King CF55 Foil Backed"No Itch" Natural Cotton Duct Wrap, 12" x 1" x 15'

Just reading the name it seems spot on. The foil is extraneous, you can either use it as a glue surface or pull it off (given the thickness, you might find it pulls a little off with it). UltraTouch can be had in similar (with eith foil or black cloth backing) but it is not as thick.

Is it sufficient?

It is the right stuff. The extra thikness should be fine in the FHXL.

Having looked at the URL, from the picture, i would probably peel the foil off (and put the other side next to the walls).

dave

Just reading the name it seems spot on. The foil is extraneous, you can either use it as a glue surface or pull it off (given the thickness, you might find it pulls a little off with it). UltraTouch can be had in similar (with eith foil or black cloth backing) but it is not as thick.

It is the right stuff. The extra thikness should be fine in the FHXL.

Having looked at the URL, from the picture, i would probably peel the foil off (and put the other side next to the walls).

dave

Excellent, thanks Dave!

ACA for FHXL?

Well, I finally finished my FHXLs with Alpair 10p, and despite screwing up in several ways, they came out pretty well for a noob and they sound great.

This DIY thing is turning into a serious affliction. I’m now contemplating building an Amp Camp Amp (ACA). How do you think that would sound compared to the Emotiva Bas-X A-100 I am currently using? It is certainly rated higher wattage-wise, but I’ve heard that is not really an issue. I’m not familiar with, and have never heard, amps play back to back, so I don’t know if I’m missing something or not.

Attachments

• AkanHuth-FHXL-A10p.jpg
    AkanHuth-FHXL-A10p.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, thanks to Bob Berner for making a terrific flat pack, and making it very quickly. He did a great job and his responsiveness was excellent. I just received another flat pack from him for a pair of Curt Campbell Halcyons. I have very high expectations for them. They also use Alpair 10-p’s plus a pair of mid-woofers. Bob has the CNC all done and will be happy to make more.

Halcyon link:
Speaker Design Works