Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Pano, John,

Thank you both for the clarifications. You've confirmed what I have been planning to do all along. That is to build a combination stand/wings to raise the baffle up to listening height.

Here is a SketchUp drawing of the design. The only difference between the two views is an extension of the base forward in one version to increase stability. I don't think that will make any acoustic difference.

Login - Dropbox

(P.S. I'm not sure how to imbed an image into the post so here is a Dropbox link instead. Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll try something else.)

Last edited:
Here is the SketchUp picture. I finally figured out how to do it and it was a lot easier than I thought. Thanks for the hint.

Mamzanita Speaker.png

The overall dimensions are 15"w x 42"h, which puts the center of the Vifa at 36" above the floor.

Last edited:
So just to be sure about some of the things that have been discussed.

These configurations with the open area below the baffle will work fine with the crossover that was been presented back in Post #1601. The only component that might need adjusting is the attenuation resistor R1 to better match the room.

Does that sound about right?

Last edited:
Hi

I would like to try to make a Manzanita
with what I have lying around.

I have two 12" Wavecor and 3" Scan Speak fullrange.

I also have most of the parts for the
crossover.

All I AM missing is the big coil
20 mH are Hard to get but I can
get either 18 or 22 mH.

Wich would be the Best?

Best regards

Uwe

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks. It's not too far off the Peerless 830669 of the original design. Less efficient but a lower FS. I suppose it will play a little lower, but not as loud. Either 18 or 22mH will work, but I'm not sure which would be better. The idea with the big coil is to flatten the response of the woofer on a the open baffle.

It's worth running a simulation in something like Basta! to compare them. Or wait until John chimes in. :) I think that he has used 22mH in some of his designs.

OK, time to take a survey of the many who watch this thread... Have a larger cost effective Manzanita inspired speaker with the following advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages:

Similar design goals of simplicity brought forward from from the original Manzanita. Bang for buck, easy to build with simple tools and use of common off the shelf materials and components.
4 db of added net efficiency. Solid 8 ohm easy to drive load.
Bass extension to 32 Hz.
Improved over all performance over the entire usable frequency range. (32-18.5K)
Off the shelf name brand drivers available nearly everywhere in the world.
Simple wood working skills to fabricate.
Simple fabrication and construction with basic wood working tools.
Higher power handling and way more acoustic output.

Disadvantages:

Larger system in terms of dimensions & weight.
Higher material costs... estimated at $280 - $300 each.
Floor standing configuration that requires a bit more floor space. Kind of an Ultra but with major upgrades.

Baffle dimensions are around 19" wide, 12" deep and 40" high. About 45 pounds net. Two way using an 18" and 4.5" (world class Neo).

10 element crossover.

Look forward to hearing back from all who care to reply. J

Hello John
What news ?
Best regards
Roger

Update from Mr. Slow Man.....

Good morning all... Must apologize for the lack of progress on this project... Health and time issues have really slowed things down. (Ironically hearing - balance issues!) Covid hasn't helped either. (now over 70 and have to be careful) Have all the components and built a mock up - test baffle. Prototype crossover built. Some listening - auditioning and crossover tweaking. Next I need to modify a pair of finished Ultra floor standing baffles I have in storage and put it all together. Want to have a completed project for pictures. The original Manzanita took a year or so of off and on progress to get something worth sharing. J