F6 Amplifier

I previously said that I had not heard a vacuum tube amplifier in many years and could not make a comparison. I raised the question of how others more familiar with the vacuum tube sound would judge the F6.

flocchini: No degeneration and no Zen Pots gave you the simplest design and the least number of parts. Did you hear anything like your diyF6 before? lhquam had reported in a much earlier post that his Teaser-6 reminded him of the sound of a vacuum tube amplifier. He did not qualify it as based on a triode or pentode output. What was your impression? Does it remind you of a particular amp?

Antoinel

Based on my first impressions I would say it has the bass punch of my Aleph 30 and the liquidity of an F3. I also think it is very similar to the hybrid F4 (F4 with interstage transformer) headphone amp I put together.

Currently I am using it as the midrange amp (250 -6000 Hz) in my system driving PHl 1120s. The Aleph is driving the low end because of it has twice the gain. The F3 is on the high end driving Raven 2s. A really nice combo

I have never used tube amps so I can't provide input

Best

Bob
Thank you for your valuable input. Best regards.

Tea: How about making the holes for Gnd, V+, V- and output large enough for a #4 screw. The would allow wires to be attached using standoffs rather than soldering. It would also be useful is the In, Gnd pair of holes were spaced .1" apart so that the input wiring could be attached using a .1" header and connector.

Solderless connections are particularly valuable for experimental boards where circuit modifications are contemplated.

Do we hav eto worry abou tproximity to toroid considering use of xformer? In my rats nest, i ha dto keep some diatance from toroid to prevent little hum. Most likely rats nest, bu tthough ti would ask. Also, i notice that Nelson shoves his all the way in the back, away from the main doughnut.

In the Teaser-6 build the left channel Jensen is much closer to the toroid (and other AC power wiring) than that of the right channel. See post #1519 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/216616-f6-amplifier-152.html#post3157489 The left channel has significantly larger 60 Hz, 180 Hz, 300 Hz hum.

Do we hav eto worry abou tproximity to toroid considering use of xformer? In my rats nest, i ha dto keep some diatance from toroid to prevent little hum. Most likely rats nest, bu tthough ti would ask. Also, i notice that Nelson shoves his all the way in the back, away from the main doughnut.

Mr. Pass: can we expect you to sell PCBs for diyF6 via the diyaudio store? Clearly, the PCB in your F6 is ideal and the Jensen did not need the added complication and expense of shielding.
Best.