Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Joined 2005
Paid Member
mine are stand-ins whilst awaiting the Purifi 8” woofers to arrive. The FST and 12” XXLS are a decade old and NLA.

The satellite cabinet is dimensioned such that a quad of 8” Purifi woofers will sit below the midrange, and replace the current pair of 12” woofers.

the idea is that I will have a family - the tiny 3” 4L 2 way (not pictured), small 5.25” 2 way (7L), medium 6.5” 2 way (14L), and large 8” 3-way (xxxL)

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate this is a slow-witted question, but what's the big advantage of the Purifi drivers over, say, a Satori MW16P if crossed over to a sub at ~75hz? Or building a 3-way with a larger woofer and cheaper drivers?

Is the IMD reduction that substantial? The numbers I see look good, but they don't look astonishingly better than a Dayton E180HE.

I did not notice the Buchardt A500-SE with Purifi woofers would be limited to 50 pairs. Reviewing the regular A500 using SB Acoustics sourced woofers I am reminded its their active, DSP controlled model with 3 x 150 watt amps. Reprogramming the DSP for use with Purifi woofers would be relatively straightforward for designers working at Buchardt's level. The regular A500 is 3500 euros a pair, it will be interesting to see what the cost delta is with Purifi drivers. I have done some preliminary work with DSP E.Q. on the PTT6.5W+PR set, a story for another day. If my experience is any indication the Buchardt A500-SE will have bass depth and impact akin to a couple of depth charges detonating in your listening room.

I appreciate this is a slow-witted question, but what's the big advantage of the Purifi drivers over, say, a Satori MW16P if crossed over to a sub at ~75hz? Or building a 3-way with a larger woofer and cheaper drivers?

Is the IMD reduction that substantial? The numbers I see look good, but they don't look astonishingly better than a Dayton E180HE.

On top of the IMD you mention, if you look at the measurements in Voice Coil, the 3rd order distortion of the e180he is almost an order of magnitude higher than the Purifi at the same spl. Whether the additional cost is worth it is up to you, but the difference is clear.

NB, Vance notes in the articles for both drivers that the SPL is 94db, not 110+ like it appears.

ATIlSJI.png xccwkga90tdk.png

On top of the IMD you mention, if you look at the measurements in Voice Coil, the 3rd order distortion of the e180he is almost an order of magnitude higher than the Purifi at the same spl. Whether the additional cost is worth it is up to you, but the difference is clear.
I missed the note about 94dB and failed to read the graph properly. Thanks.

I've got four Scanspeak 15Ws in a box I've been meaning to use for years for some tower speakers. Unfortunately, I'm a perpetual apartment dweller with minimal space, and distortion performance into the bass region is not great.

Selling them (and a kidney) to get some Purifi 6.5s or 8s to use with a dome tweeter and a massive waveguide is appealing. ~1cuft is a lot on a desk, but the performance is hard to argue with, and for my purposes I wouldn't have much need for a sub - a substantial savings for an active DSP system.

...... meaning to use for years for some tower speakers. Unfortunately, I'm a perpetual apartment dweller with minimal space, and distortion performance into the bass region is not great.

.... ~1cuft is a lot on a desk, but the performance is hard to argue with, and for my purposes I wouldn't have much need for a sub - a substantial savings for an active DSP system.
For apartment &/or desktop perhaps look the other way at the PTT4.0 woofer & PRs? This photo shows the factory demo designs SPK5 with PTT6.5 and soon to be published SPK8 using PTT4.0s at Purifi's High End 2022 booth in Munich. The gentlemen in the foreground give a sense of scale illustrating a core virtue of the Purifi speaker line, i.e. just how small a box is required. The SPK5 is ~16L, I have enjoyed excellent results dropping that to both 14 and 12 L. We have yet to see SPK8's dimensions but judging from this photo its going to be in the range of 5 to 8 liters for strong 40Hz bass.

Attachments

• PURIFI at Munich High End 2022  (1).jpeg
    PURIFI at Munich High End 2022 (1).jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 290
the little SPK8 is less than 4L internal volume and goes flat to nearly 50Hz. Kim’s published a prmeilnary description earlier in this thread This was the demo that impressed the most. No one expected a tiny box like this to play deep bass with crystal clear mids. Several commented that this was the most impressive demo in the show (with all the usual Oligarch sized speakers).We mixed a track with an intermittent 10Hz sine to show how little the miss is affected by the large bass excursion. A demo that almost self explanatory. Looks like more and more discover what it means to reduce IMD

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
the edit function limitation of 30 min is a bit short.

sorry I too meant to say I have a 3L 4” Purifi design coming; not 3” 4L (no driver exists). This is a stunner because the eyes cannot understand what the ear is hearing and brain cannot compute.
btw Lars did you ever get down to the bottom of why Erins’s @bikinpunk PTT4 measured so unexpectedly?

Last edited:
I saw the video posted to Purifi Facebook of the demo of SPK8 design playing "track with an intermittent 10Hz sine to show how little the midrange is affected by the large bass excursion". You sort of broke my brain just a little. It looked like the typical social media woofer abuse video with PTT4.0W & PRs approaching Xmax while the sound was sweet Hifi in place of the expected car subwoofer demo track. I thought the audio recording was from another source.

I saw the video posted to Purifi Facebook of the demo of SPK8 design playing "track with an intermittent 10Hz sine to show how little the midrange is affected by the large bass excursion". You sort of broke my brain just a little. It looked like the typical social media woofer abuse video with PTT4.0W & PRs approaching Xmax while the sound was sweet Hifi in place of the expected car subwoofer demo track. I thought the audio recording was from another source.
thanks good point. did not think of the abused sub video genre. the demo works best in real life

Watching 'net coverage of High End 2022 appear on the web I see fellow Danish company Jern (https://jernspeakers.com/) was showing a new model the Jern 35 using Purifi woofer. Jern specializes in cast iron enclosures an off shoot of the owner's family business a leading High Precision Casting company serving the automotive and other industries. If you are a automotive nut like me one look at the Jern speaker enclosure and you think "turbocharger housing".

I would love to hear Purifi in such an inert sealed enclosure. Note they appear to be using the Scanspeak oval tweeter, I like the look with the long dimension turned horizontal.

Jern 35.jpg

Jern 35 on stand 2.jpg

Jern 35 PURIFI at Munich High End 2022  (1).jpeg