Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Hi Dude,
exactly, i have built a lot of vented (with passive radiators) and sealed prototypes using Purifi PTT 4 inch and 6.5 inch midwoofers, and i must say that they sure can take beating without a sweat, and i have not found slightest disadvantage with using them sealed, on the contrary. Of course they are demanding powerful amplification, but that is not a problem nowadays. FYI here is my build of flat Dolby Atmos mains in custom home cinema room, where i am using two PTT6.5X08-NFA-01 in 24 liters sealed enlosures behind acoustically transparent screens. Pics were taken before absorbers around them were installed. View attachment 1004946 View attachment 1004947 View attachment 1004948
Very nice! I’m doing similar in walls, but 100% active. Baffle from 1 design with Bliesma tweeter. 6l sealed on the midwoofer running 120hz up, and each lower woofer is in it’s own 4l sealed sub-enclosure. 6dB free boost in the low end with in wall. And I can run the bag off the woofers without adding any distortion to the mid. All Purifi amplification driving each driver direct.

84CF228F-BCE3-4115-B37B-36AD60460163.jpeg

Very nice! I’m doing similar in walls, but 100% active. Baffle from 1 design with Bliesma tweeter. 6l sealed on the midwoofer running 120hz up, and each lower woofer is in it’s own 4l sealed sub-enclosure. 6dB free boost in the low end with in wall. And I can run the bag off the woofers without adding any distortion to the mid. All Purifi amplification driving each driver direct.

View attachment 1004949
Also very nice!
I have my eye on the Bliesma tweeters, planing to test them soon. My setup is actually also fully active, but i have built custom amps with Hypex MP modules and Hypex DSP modules. Have a look:
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-29 at 22.59.16.jpeg

Also very nice!
I have my eye on the Bliesma tweeters, planing to test them soon. My setup is actually also fully active, but i have built custom amps with Hypex MP modules and Hypex DSP modules. Have a look:
View attachment 1004953
Awesome. We do similar things. I make DSP amp units with Ravenna AES67 inputs and Purifi amps. They build into the walls under the speakers. And I use fibre optic Ethernet from the new Ravenna options in the Trinnov or Storm Audio processors to the speakers. Rather than speaker wires. Here’s the full system 1w/1khz THD+N into 4R load. With a test tone sent from Roon. From there direct to the drivers over a couple ft of speaker cables. Can clock sync up to 128 amps on a 1g Ethernet network.

9E54BF27-4F1B-4D56-B0B3-DE906B5E5840.jpeg

Course you do the QTC changes F3 changes whenever you change the sealed cabinet volume. You can compensate for it with EQ and drive it with more volts

And drive up the distortion.

Whether it’s appreciable or acceptable or not is a trade-off you decide on as a designer
But this driver is designed for this. You can’t achieve the performance that this driver was designed to achieve in a volume bigger than 4L. Based on my modelling anyways. You end up bottoming out long before the voice coil starts to warm up.

Awesome. We do similar things. I make DSP amp units with Ravenna AES67 inputs and Purifi amps. They build into the walls under the speakers. And I use fibre optic Ethernet from the new Ravenna options in the Trinnov or Storm Audio processors to the speakers. Rather than speaker wires. Here’s the full system 1w/1khz THD+N into 4R load. With a test tone sent from Roon. From there direct to the drivers over a couple ft of speaker cables. Can clock sync up to 128 amps on a 1g Ethernet network.

View attachment 1004958
Wow, that looks very good! perhaps we are doing the same thing! Could you also share some pics of the install? Are you using the same midwoofers as me? I had some info that they will work best in sealed enclosure of 12 liters, have you also tried or simulated bigger volumes? If 4 liters is enough, that is a great news. What is the F3 of the PTT6.5 in 4 liters? We can join forces sometimes! :) I am also looking for DSP alternatives with ethernet signal distribution and ethernet online controls.. Can i ask which DSP modules you are using? The Hypex DSP is cheap, and their amps are great value for money, but the HFD software is terrible to work with, and it stays terrible for all the 10 years that i am working with Hypex, no real progress or innovation in all those years. So far i have bought also some DSP samples with ethernet from Four Audio, those were the most expensive, but did not have time to test them. Also i am testing now some Powersoft DSP Lite modules with their power amp modules, and those are very promising, the Harmonia software is like from the future compared to Hypex Filter Design..

Wow, that looks very good! perhaps we are doing the same thing! Could you also share some pics of the install? Are you using the same midwoofers as me? I had some info that they will work best in sealed enclosure of 12 liters, have you also tried or simulated bigger volumes? If 4 liters is enough, that is a great news. What is the F3 of the PTT6.5 in 4 liters? We can join forces sometimes! :) I am also looking for DSP alternatives with ethernet signal distribution and ethernet online controls.. Can i ask which DSP modules you are using? The Hypex DSP is cheap, and their amps are great value for money, but the HFD software is terrible to work with, and it stays terrible for all the 10 years that i am working with Hypex, no real progress or innovation in all those years. So far i have bought also some DSP samples with ethernet from Four Audio, those were the most expensive, but did not have time to test them. Also i am testing now some Powersoft DSP Lite modules with their power amp modules, and those are very promising, the Harmonia software is like from the future compared to Hypex Filter Design..

My DSP/DAC system is an in house design. Can’t find this for sale. Several years in the works. I have no install pictures. I’ve just perfected the electronics, and just messing around with speakers.

According to simulations with the 6.5’s the F3 is 30hz with an SPL of 95dB per driver, or 100dB with an F3 of 40hz, to reach 12mm excursion. In a 4L sealed volume with the proper DSP boost. Then you can add the extra 6dB of free boost you get building in wall.

My DSP/DAC system is an in house design. Can’t find this for sale. Several years in the works. I have no install pictures. I’ve just perfected the electronics, and just messing around with speakers.

According to simulations with the 6.5’s the F3 is 30hz with an SPL of 95dB per driver, or 100dB with an F3 of 40hz, to reach 12mm excursion. In a 4L sealed volume with the proper DSP boost. Then you can add the extra 6dB of free boost you get building in wall.
Ok, the inhouse DSP-DAC system sounds interesting! I was obviously asking about F3 without boost..

Comments from @lrisbo on his recommendations with this 6.5” woofer. Perhaps he can chime in with a refresher :)

"It all depends on performance and cost objectives of course. For highest quality (but not the loudest) I would go for sealed and DSP EQ and excursion limitation. Preferably adding a third woofer e.g. on the back - could be rolled off with and LP filter at say 100Hz to serve as a sub assist. Could also do some directivity control.

A PR system has a fifth order highpass transfer function including a deep null at the PR free field resonance (17Hz for the 80g version). This null is very hard to EQ (borderline non minimum phase and the woofer and PR are completely out of phase here) so it’s difficult to get very deep bass extension. A sealed box is a simpler 2nd order high pass that can be EQed down to any frequency (with a proper excursion limited). Personally, I prefer an EQ to a 2nd order high pass at 20Hz with Q=0.5 ie critical damping aka aperiodic. The EQ filter necessary is a 2nd order shelving filter often called a Linkwitz (named after Siegfried Linkwitz co inventor of the LR crosover filters)

The advantage of a PR (or port ) is that the excursion to SPL efficiency of the woofer is increased (acts like extra cone area) but only just around the tuning frequency and below excursion explodes."

That's a very interesting DSP system you're working on there. I'm working on something very similar. I will be developing a very high power plate amp with either Powersoft or Danville DSP and Pascal L-Pro amplifiers for my build with 4x Purifi woofers. It could be interesting to join forces or at least bounce off ideas with you, as well as anyone else also interested.

That's a very interesting DSP system you're working on there. I'm working on something very similar. I will be developing a very high power plate amp with either Powersoft or Danville DSP and Pascal L-Pro amplifiers for my build with 4x Purifi woofers. It could be interesting to join forces or at least bounce off ideas with you, as well as anyone else also interested.
Have you figured out a solution for clock sync between speakers, or perfect sync with video with no latency?

Have you figured out a solution for clock sync between speakers, or perfect sync with video with no latency?

Clock sync is not high on my priority list given the enormous number of areas to work on the speaker and DSP algorithm side (look ahead limiters, smart equal loudness, ambiance processing, etc), but it's on the list. There are pro audio solutions for clock sync using AVB or some other networking protocol to achieve this, but I won't have it in my own plate amp

Perfect sync with video shouldn't be too hard. Generally the display is lagging behind the speaker because of video processing latency, so all that needs to be done is to measure the delay on the TV/projector side, and then add the appropriate delay on the DSP. Measuring the video delay is a bit tricky though, but definitely doable.

Clock sync between speakers is absolutely essential for high end audio. And absolutely essential for video sync. Even if you set a delay for timing, if the same master clock isn’t timing both the audio and video, it drifts over time. And you end up with a disaster within a few minutes.

These are some of the things I discovered 7 years ago when I was at your stage