Explendid amplifier designed by Michael Bittner, our MikeB

square root (2) = 1.414

2 x 25Vac will give you 2 x 25 * 1.414 Vdc = 2 x 35Vdc (after rectifier and capacitors)

Does the power supply I added as an attachment look good? Only using 25 VAC input instead of 30 VAC.

Attachments

• power-supply-for-amp[1].png
    power-supply-for-amp[1].png
    61.2 KB · Views: 878
Hi Andrew, I've seen in other posts that you don't agree with the use of c3 and c4.
Can you please explain why.
Also what you you think of the 10nF in parallel to each Bridge diode sometimes seen.
Or is a RC snubber better, if so what values do you use, I'm on 220V mains of that matters,

Thanks

Last edited:
Ah, i think Carlos forgot to show the upper side of the PCB...
(Of course, this heatsink is too small for longtime full power)

Quick newb question before I start etching and constructing - I can see metal inside the fixing hole of a BD139. So does it need to be electrically isolated from the heatsink? Is the mounting bolt also isolated from the transistor? If so with what?

Hello

Maybe i`m right here.

My symasym drives my -nuts / crazy / what ever :crazy:

I have a Stereo amp.
The Problem is: If i connect both cinchgrounds from the 2 pcbs together
(like it is usual with cheap cinch cables) i get hum.

for test i`ve connectet only 1 channel (with same cheap cable) amp is silent.

First i had one PSU for both channels thought this is the Problem.
And changed the psu to a "quasi dual mono" -pic-

Problem still remains.
Now i dont know where i should look at?

Someone has an idea / same Problem -> with solution:D

good amp but with HUM no FUN

thank if someone could help me.

Attachments

• psu.JPG
    psu.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 821
This symptom is typical of all stereo amplifiers fed from a stereo source that has a common Signal Return for the two channels inside the source.

A single interconnect, be it a coax or twisted pair, makes a single grounding connection along the return conductor.
Equals no interference.

Two interconnects, make a pair of grounding connections into that commoned signal ground. That makes a loop.
If you make the loop smaller the interference pick up is smaller.
If you increase the resistance in the connections at the power amp bigger, then you make the interference current smaller.

Every year we see the Daniel Joffe paper being linked that explains the methods of reducing these interference currents. It was posted (yet again) last week.

I'll try to find it and post a link.

Last edited: