Eminence LAB15 Subwoofer, 4ohm, Special Run for CHEAP on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a pair of these. I want to implement the design presented by bjorno in post 46. I am a horsrep newbie....but I'm trying. Before I spend more time does this look to be where I should be going. If so I can fine tune and post with measurements...If not back to the drawing board.
Thanks, Evan

Attachments

• lab 15 1st try.jpg
    lab 15 1st try.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 283
Would a Keystone sub widened to fit two of these modified Lab 15 trump two 4015LF loaded SS15 THs in output and/or extension?
The Keystone goes a lot lower than the SS15, but the Lab 15 (s) would not be a very good driver for it, too peaky of a response at the bottom and top.

Bjorno's design in #46 looks quite nice for the Lab 15, but still won't keep up in output to the Keystone with proper drivers or the SS15.

Thanks Art. I thought of a single fold, but the cabinet seemed very long or tall depending on orientation.

I am unsure about s3. If the cabinet is the width of the driver then s3 is only about 4.3" deep this is not enough room for the driver. I made the assumption that this space could be larger because of the volume taken up by the driver.

As far as complexity of build goes I'm not scared....

evan, you are a talented artist! i had to rush my project due to a limited time of production space acquisition. i also think this is the last time i will use mdf for an entire project, though the consumption of vast amounts of pleasureable mexcian beer during this recent BR has led to a most pleasant production time indeed...

Last edited:
Hi evanc,

Your drawing for bjorno's T-TQWT from Post #46 looks fine. This is not a tapped horn. For the T-TQWT the magnet assembly usually ends up on the S2 side, that gives you sufficient room to mount the driver from the S3 side. Bjorno suggests to double (or tripple) up on the driver mounting baffle if you need more room. You'll probably have to design-in an access panel.

Regards,

Thanks Art. I thought of a single fold, but the cabinet seemed very long or tall depending on orientation.

I am unsure about s3. If the cabinet is the width of the driver then s3 is only about 4.3" deep this is not enough room for the driver. I made the assumption that this space could be larger because of the volume taken up by the driver.

As far as complexity of build goes I'm not scared....

Evan,

Will you be making a dimensioned drawing?

I would like to see it if you do.

Beau

Guys, thanks for the encouragement and advice.

tb46...excellent. The driver facing the outlet or s3 will send me back to the drawing board but it's nice to know I'm going in the right direction. If the driver comes in from the front the access panel could be the front of the box.

I'll work on a more refined drawing this evening after work.
Evan

This time with some dimensions.
Does this look OK?
How close to the ideal does the horn really need to be? Both length and cross section.
The s1 s2 length is listed as about 5". Since this is less then half the driver dia. should the 8 3\8 floor of the horn slope up to reduce volume here?
Thanks, Evan

Attachments

• lab 15 2nd try dimensions.jpg
    lab 15 2nd try dimensions.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 278
  • lab 15 2nd try 2.jpg
    lab 15 2nd try 2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 274
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.