Eminence LAB15 Subwoofer, 4ohm, Special Run for CHEAP on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
evan, this is good news! i should have had a finished box a bit ago, though i could still drop the driver in and test it out. what started as a simple box ended up turning into a piece of 'furniture', i.e., my first veneer job, and use of solid oak...and all i have is a router and a 20 year old skil saw...it's more of covering up mistakes atm, but something good may come of it all yet...

I've been working to come up with a nice high efficiency horn for these cheap drivers.
Managed an F3 of 37hz in a single and what looks like a pretty good efficiency. I've been spending some time trying to get a good fold for it. Anybody see glaring issues with the design before I keep working on it? It's a bit large but that's not really a concern for my application. Will be running two of them.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I love me a bass horn, but I don't understand how a Lab-15 basshorn would be reasonable for a home :O

I had a dual twelve tapped horn in my living room for a while, but it became an unmovable eyesore after a while.

Right now I have a dual-eight tapped horn in my living room, and one of my gripes is that it's so efficient, it over powers my other two subs :O

Yeah, it's on fraternity duty. We've got a pretty sizable basement. We're running two 4015LF loaded SS15 V2s. It's good, but I got the two special lab15s for $260 on an impulse buy, and I'm thinking a pair of big front loaded bass horns would be both a bargain for SPL/$ all while reaching lower and louder than the SS15s.

Yeah, it's on fraternity duty. We've got a pretty sizable basement. We're running two 4015LF loaded SS15 V2s. It's good, but I got the two special lab15s for $260 on an impulse buy, and I'm thinking a pair of big front loaded bass horns would be both a bargain for SPL/$ all while reaching lower and louder than the SS15s.

I'm not sure how big is "big" but 1 folded horn with one of those labs is enough to make everyone in a 20 foot radius cover their ears and run for cover. Meaning 2 will be "just enough". Just kidding, but seriously, fraternities need better than 38 Hz and It would be well worth it to give up 1 or 2 dB to get flat to 25-30.
Lab15.gif

Two of these in a corner will make it literally impossible to socialize over- and deliver the best party you've ever had, at like half power.

Experience: I'm 21 and I know what we listen to, used to DJ, spectrum analyzes rap/ EDM / trap which tend to be the most demanding. I have a T60 - it wrecks, but after building it I realized I can do the same with 2-4 Alpine 12's in smaller cabinets that I can actually move :) (plus 4:1 more power).

If you've never heard Tyga - Rack city down to 25 you're missing out :).

Check out billfitzmaurice.info for more details, they have their own forum if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Never really been a fan of BFM designs. All his FLHs have a falling response that need multiples to pick up the bottom. He's said himself that it's really designed for stacks. That's not to say it's not sensitive enough down there that you couldn't EQ it flat without problems at lower power levels, but I'm only running two and probably pushing them flat out. I also mean no disrespect, but in my experience the patrons of this forum are markedly more intellectual than those of BFM's.

That and it's designed for the normal Lab 15. Looking at the T/S params for these special run ones, you realize they're quite a different animal. I wouldn't be surprised if the T60 loaded with these would do poorly. I'd love to try it out in hornresp but seeing as he's very protective of the design I don't think that will be happening.

I am tempted to extend the bandwidth down a bit. I might fiddle with it a more tomorrow. I don't really think there's a whole lot of content past 35hz though. The only EDM genres that typically extend past 35 are DnB and less commonly dub(step). We don't play them much. Not even trap has appreciable content down there usually. I can respect that some tracks do, but it's the exception. Especially considering that the average guest has quite possibly never heard the content of the tracks below about 50, I wouldn't lose much sleep over the matter. I'll see what kind of deal I can cut with Hoffman's ghost.

Last edited:
Never really been a fan of BFM designs. All his FLHs have a falling response that need multiples to pick up the bottom. He's said himself that it's really designed for stacks. That's not to say it's not sensitive enough down there that you couldn't EQ it flat without problems at lower power levels, but I'm only running two and probably pushing them flat out. I also mean no disrespect, but in my experience the patrons of this forum are markedly more intellectual than those of BFM's.

That and it's designed for the normal Lab 15. Looking at the T/S params for these special run ones, you realize they're quite a different animal. I wouldn't be surprised if the T60 loaded with these would do poorly. I'd love to try it out in hornresp but seeing as he's very protective of the design I don't think that will be happening.

I am tempted to extend the bandwidth down a bit. I might fiddle with it a more tomorrow. I don't really think there's a whole lot of content past 35hz though. The only EDM genres that typically extend past 35 are DnB and less commonly dub(step). We don't play them much. Not even trap has appreciable content down there usually. I can respect that some tracks do, but it's the exception. Especially considering that the average guest has quite possibly never heard the content of the tracks below about 50, I wouldn't lose much sleep over the matter. I'll see what kind of deal I can cut with Hoffman's ghost.

heres my estimation sim (advanced centerline). Grey is original lab15 in a 27" wide t60. black is the 4 ohm lab15. both shown 2.83v. the 4 ohm lab15 is much smoother overall (higher fs, lighter cone, less motor "ripple"). it does appear to be a bit less sensitive (slightly less overall output down low), but overall, I would rate the t60 pretty well suited for the 4 ohm lab15 (particularly if you increase rear chamber size up to about 90 liters, which is totally possible givin the nature of the design).

Is your top sensitivity graph shown for 2 cabs or 1?

Attachments

• lab15tsixty.jpg
    lab15tsixty.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I measured one of the cabinets I built based on bjorno's design in post # 46. Please bear with me I'm new at the measuring thing. I used a umik1 from minidsp. Cabinet is outside. Purple and teal are close miked blue is about 2 meters away. No smoothing
Evan

Attachments

• lab 15 rew graph1.jpg
    lab 15 rew graph1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 302
He's said himself that it's really designed for stacks. ... in my experience the patrons of this forum are markedly more intellectual than those of BFM's
copnono.gif

All you gotta do is FOLLOW THE PLANS, build 2 for +6db, then corner load for +6db, then follow the plans, check for air leaks, get reccomended 3 other options that aren't any better/worse, add another 3db and perhaps follow the plans
Oh and if you need more db than the freebies we handed out earlier, build more boxes.
th_31726.gif

thanks guys. i ended up rounding the top corners slightly (very sharp otherwise). the thing was too heavy for me to handle alone, so with the help of a co worker, got it home and a driver in. it produces a very muscular, clear present bass, neither flabby or boom-ish. still some tweaking with bass management, but very please atm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.