Dx Blame ST - Builder's thread - post pictures, reviews and comments here please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
steady progress...

2nd channel done up. Waiting for 2 items :Two 2X 25V 160W transformers and Multicomp carbon composition resistors.

The suspense is torturous!

Attachments

• Original Sanken 2sc2922_1216.JPG
    Original Sanken 2sc2922_1216.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 388
  • both channels nearly complete.JPG
    both channels nearly complete.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 395
Yep...we need to know because board's price depends on the quantity

We still have the price for 100 units (50 amplifiers), but we need, first, in advance, to know if we gonna have 100 units of order to go on.

Not achieving this quantity... adding Brazilian forum and Internacional forum (this one) we will not be able to order with the price informed.

regards,

Carlos

DX Blame ES distorting with low level signal

Hi all,

I have wired up the PS and one amp module.
Rails measured to be +/- 32V DC (from a 2X 25V 160W EI tranny).
I installed a 1W 100R resistor in place of the fuses and managed to achieve
4.7V by adjusting the pot. The other rail was also checked and it also showed 4.7V.

DC offset measured to be -5mV which is great. Transistors were checked to make sure they weren't shorting to the heatsink.

I tested with my 82dB 8Ohm 3.5'' vifa fullrange driver. Even when music was playing softly, there is a distorted sound coming through. The full spectrum of music is there; bass, midrange and highs but the midrange distorts first.
On musical peaks there is a "thsskkk" or "thzz" sound.

Power transistors used are : 2SC5200 and 2SA1943
Diode used in the PS PCB are 8A 200V, "damper diodes".

Could the fake transistors or damper diodes cause such distortion?

Attachments

• Blame ES amp module wiring.JPG
    Blame ES amp module wiring.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Voltage across 100R = 5V.JPG
    Voltage across 100R = 5V.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 32V DC from PS PCB.JPG
    32V DC from PS PCB.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 218
Is R3 a resistor?

I tested with my 82dB 8Ohm 3.5'' vifa fullrange driver. Even when music was playing softly, there is a distorted sound coming through. The full spectrum of music is there; bass, midrange and highs but the midrange distorts first.
On musical peaks there is a "thsskkk" or "thzz" sound.
Could the fake transistors or damper diodes cause such distortion?
Are you sure R3 is a resistor, not an inductor (bobbin, coil)? Maybe a silly question, but it strongly looks like inductors we find here in Brazil.

Hi,

R3 on the amp board is a 0.5W carbon composite resistor from Multicomp.
I will complete the second channel with some original Sankens and see if the problem can be resolved. Most of the wiring is soldered so there are no loose contacts and all resistors were checked with multimeter before being soldered in place.

It works fine while using 32 volts

He may have a mistake....well, this happens daily at my home...i am deeply impressed that several guys had their boards working at the first try.

Noises, sometimes are bad contact due to bad solder or defective component with an inside crack....despite these cracks are rarities.

One thing we all know and we can guarantee...the amplifier plays a lovely pure sound and have no strange noises.

Maybe the noise is due to a baby Dinossaur inside this very ancient multimeter...ahahahah!:)

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
omg. The second channel with the Sankens are playing like magic. Massive sound, detail retrieval of the highest level. No distortions whatsoever. Didn't realise the tiny 3.5'' could produce such precise bass. Transient attack wow...

To conclude that the first channel transistors were the problem, I have to remove them and add in the Sankens. Tomorrow.

I test all my amps on those little Vifa drivers, but today, they sound like different speakers !!

Alright gents,

I replaced the first channel with the Sankens. All problems are gone. At last I can sleep peacefully hahahha..

Will let the amp be tested on the small speakers for 24 hours before hooking them up to my large speakers.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

That's good news enjoy the sonics.About the Sankens that's what Rudi suggested to use if you build the Blame ES.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.