Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

unless patented there is no protection for a circuit - and even the patent doesn't prohibit others publishishing the circuit, discussing it publicly

a patent only give limited time rights to "make, use, sell" - in exchange for making the idea public

copright only protects exact copies of an expression of an idea - a artwork, text, program...

if you redrew the schematic, made up the BOM yourself You have the copyright on that excact drawing of the circuit - no more, no less

Last edited:
Forr member towards the beginning of the thread gave advice about a resistor value to help an other member who has also a too much sensible amp and volume pots problems ! But I didn't notice the same problem as you !

cheers

I'm happy you had no problems. I was worried at first but no problem now.
I attenuate after active xover anyway which has cured it.

I'm very happy with the sound and it gives me what I was after, controllable HF boost for my poor old ears, and equally controllable LF boost to help out my OB subs. Much better sounding than the EQ I was using.

Many thanks to Doug, Jan and Carl for helping extend my listening pleasure :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Late request for preamp boards

DSELF_KIT.jpg

The latest batch of PCBs have arrived.

I have built a first article and have bee listening to it for the last 24 hours or so! All works as expected.

Those builders that have paid will be shipped Monday morning (ie: tomorrow).

I do have a few extra kits but not many.

From the latest batch my two sets received as promised. Thanks Carl!

I have seen that for the 5532 op amp expensive 100pF polystyrene capacitors are used (pin 6-7). The argument here is also the less distortion. In my opinion, in this case, however, cheap ceramic capacitors would be sufficient without the distortions increasing.

Last edited:
The question:

Is Doug a Self Promoter?

Is there anything wrong with that, esp. if the individual is a known expert? Since I am not a good marketer of myself or my ideas, I am always looking at successful models to see what I can glean from them.

Certainly, the DSelf Website is fairly well designed, with no unnecessary frills or self-sggrsndizing statements, IMO.

DSELF_KIT.jpg

The latest batch of PCBs have arrived.

I have built a first article and have bee listening to it for the last 24 hours or so! All works as expected.

Those builders that have paid will be shipped Monday morning (ie: tomorrow).

I do have a few extra kits but not many.

Carl

Just tried to download the BOMs for the power supply and main preamp from the links on message #1 but got an error message from Dropbox saying that the files were either no longer there or were "private". Could you help with this please?

Thanks in advance,

Graeme