Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

I'm starting to put together a case for my pre, I printed out the graphic that Carl posted (front panel 00)on 8 1/2" x 11" paper in landscape mode to see if it would line up with the pots on the board, didn't fit, came up a bit short. I was planning on printing a decal on a transparency to apply to the front. Did anyone figure out the correct size for the panel print out yet ?

Paul

The front panel graphic that I provided is full size when you print it on 11 x 17 inch paper. It is intended for use on a 1U chassis. I suspect you printed yours on smaller paper and your print driver 'resized' the image to fit.

Last edited:
pdf available of front and rear panel drilling pattern?

The front panel graphic that I provided is full size when you print it on 11 x 17 inch paper. It is intended for use on a 1U chassis. I suspect you printed yours on smaller paper and your print driver 'resized' the image to fit.

Carl:

Are you and the poster you were answering referring to the graphic from the first couple of posts in this thread? I'm hoping that you will post a pdf of the front and rear panel drilling pattern.

* New IO Board Coming *

Per previous notice on this thread I am crafting a new IO PCB that expands the inputs from 1 to 5 selectable.

Inputs 1 & 2 will be balanced. Inputs 3,4 & 5 will be unbalanced. The outputs will be both balanced and unbalanced and muted turn on delay as same as the current IO board.

Your purchase will be for the new IO PCB as well as the RCA phono blocks (they are quality OEM parts) as well as the front panel selector switch. The selector switch has a splined shaft identical to the dimensions of the main board pots. Each board is a stereo pair.

The cost will be $20 for the IO kit plus actual cost to ship (shouldn't be much this time)

The following forum members have already notified me that they want one or more kits:

* Those wanting the NEW 5 Input IO kit

georgebrooke - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
Rick G - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
mik000000 - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
hfxrzw - 2 enhanced IO kits PAID
mordikai - 2 enhanced IO kits
vasillis - 2 enhanced IO kits - PAID
redjr - 1 enhanced IO kits + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
zrxshack - 2 enhanced IO kits - PAID
raymondo - 1 enhanced IO kit
still4given - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
dennismiller55 - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
Phillipp23 - 5 enhanced IO kits
PJN - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
djonesii - 1 enhanced IO kit
kimon - 1 enhanced IO kit
bfg4wd - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
emyeuoi - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
rock12 - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
herb1diaz - 2 enhanced IO kits
Mraudionut - 2 enhanced IO kits + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
TFW - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID
OZAM - 2 enhanced IO kits - PAID

I will leave this up for a couple of weeks while I accumulate the parts. Let me know if you want to be added.

I have also ordered a few more project main & power supply PCBs for those that have contacted me recently.

* Those wanting a complete kit (includes the new 5 input IO board)

sasha70 - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
HaroldHill - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
analog4ever - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
vu2ets - 1 kits + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB
orreborre - 1 kits + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB

** Let me know if you want a complete kit. **

Last edited:
Yea, I will. That's on my 'ToDo list' when I get a free moment.

Thanks so much. I'm not asking for a rush job; weeks are fine. I just want to know when the pdf is available so that I do not miss it and have to trudge through pages of the thread! I'm a slow person although I have to admit, hearing that the op amps are no longer being stocked at DigiKey :eek: may cause me to order all the SS and PS capacitor components.

Happy New Year!

Question: Has anybody had any issues with the transformer? I just received advise from another builder that the one listed has a different pitch. Appreciate your advise, thanks!

René

Meantime resolved - He swapped the last two digits in the number and got another transformer.... Hope his soldering skills are better!

Last edited:
* New IO Board Coming *

Per previous notice on this thread I am crafting a new IO PCB that expands the inputs from 1 to 5 selectable.

Inputs 1 & 2 will be balanced. Inputs 3,4 & 5 will be unbalanced. The outputs will be both balanced and unbalanced and muted turn on delay as same as the current IO board.

Your purchase will be for the new IO PCB as well as the RCA phono blocks (they are quality OEM parts) as well as the front panel selector switch. The selector switch has a splined shaft identical to the dimensions of the main board pots. Each board is a stereo pair.

The cost will be $20 for the IO kit plus actual cost to ship (shouldn't be much this time)

The following forum members have already notified me that they want one or more kits:

kimon - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID

I will leave this up for a couple of weeks while I accumulate the parts. Let me know if you want to be added.

I have also ordered a few more project main & power supply PCBs for those that have contacted me recently.

orreborre - 1 kits + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
vvs07 - 1 kits + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID

Hi All,

I've begun stuffing my board and can't for the life of me find where R48 is located. As you can see from the attached pics the board that I have is a little different from the original pic posted by Carl in the beginning of the thread. In the original board prototype R48 was located on the right hand side of the board below A8R & A8L, on my board this area is different. Has R48 been eliminated in the later rendition of the board, or am I missing something.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• Original board.jpg
    Original board.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 775
  • My board.jpg
    My board.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 777
* New IO Board Coming *

kimon - 1 enhanced IO kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID

... Has R48 been eliminated in the later rendition of the board, or am I missing something.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

Sorry for not noticing your post sooner. The quick answer is, 'Yes', resistors were removed from the prototype PCBs near IC 8 that you reference. They were found to be unnecessary. The final schematic that includes this change was emailed to you. Let me know if you need me to send it again.

New I/O board

My pre-amp is completely populated now.

Will the new I/O board come with enough RCA phono blocks, or will it be expected to use the existing from the first round of original boards?

Do you have a guestimate as to when you will be able to start shipping?

Thanks
Ted

My pre-amp is completely populated now.

Will the new I/O board come with enough RCA phono blocks, or will it be expected to use the existing from the first round of original boards?

Do you have a guestimate as to when you will be able to start shipping?

Thanks
Ted

The new IO board ships with RCA blocks and when built will simply plug in place of the one you have.

* New IO Board Coming *

mordikai - 2 enhanced IO kits - PIAD
Phillipp23 - 5 enhanced IO kits - PAID
kimon - 1 enhanced IO kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
cobar53 - 1 enhanced IO kit - PAID

** This is the list as of 1/11/2016 **

If you wanted either a complete kit, an IO kit or power supply PCB and you don't see your name please let me know.

If you have paid and I don't indicate that fact in the list above please let me know.

All parts are now in. I will be building and testing a first article this week to be sure that everything work and begin shipping Saturday (the 17th). I will also be posting a schematic, BOM for the enhanced IO as well as improved graphics for the front and back chassis panels.