diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide

What 6L6 said. I am using these for a class A amp with a 2x20 VAC Antek: 380LX333M035A052 Cornell Dubilier - CDE | Mouser
(I think they incorrectly show blue as the color - the ones I got were black, not that it matters) They are only $5.58 each in quantities of 10.
Each rail has 4 in a CRC arrangement. I used the DIY Store CRC boards, minus the rectifier sections, opting for monolithic chassis mount bridges instead.

Attached is a schematic with part numbers and values which you may find helpful.

Cheers

Attachments

• Power-SupplyNew-Project-2.jpg
    Power-SupplyNew-Project-2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 349
Regarding CRC Filtering

Hi,

R5-R8 and the three optional resistors form a CRC filter. The recommended values give an effective resistance of 0.1 to 0.25 ohms.

Is there any compelling reason to use flame proof resistors rather than an similar resistance shunt as shown below? I don't see why there would be a difference but I'm acutely aware that I often do not know what I do not know. :D

Johanson Dielectrics Shunt Resistor (Mouser)

Attachments

• shunt.PNG
    shunt.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 303
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I may not be able to help all that much, but here are a few things that cross my mind re: above. I know it's not what you asked specifically re: flame proof vs. current sense type, but there are potentially other considerations separate from temperature alone.

1) If your ultimate goal was to have 0R1 for each supply (V+ and V-), you'd be substituting a single resistor with full current through it for the 'normal' 4 and up to 7 resistors sharing current, I think. With a single 5W rated resistor vs. n*3W resistors, it may be a consideration.

2) You should potentially model the circuit with a single 0R1 to see if you get the smoothing you want / expect vs. whatever values you were considering of other types. Definitely an area I do not have a full grasp on.

3) The current for the equations above would (possibly) be the total bias current for your amplifier, if it's a Class A amp. You didn't mention the amp or configuration, so there's no way for us to really know how much current => power => heat you'd be subjecting the parts to. That would be under normal operation. If you were doing a BA with 12 devices per side @0A25 per device and using a single PSU => 6A total. That may not be great. I also think that the circuit / board designers considered other potential fault situations separate from normal operation that could subject those parts to higher current and the failure mode of the parts. I recall Mark (in another thread) observing possible temperatures for a part that could potentially even melt the solder (and most definitely cause harm if touched) even though the operating parameters were fully within the capabilities of the part. That ties back to your original question.

4) I can't find the exact reference, but there has been a lot of discussion re: the properties of the 'Blue Panasonic' resistors separate from their resistance, power rating, thermal characteristics, and failure modes. They seem to be an excellent part due to at least one other design property that escapes me. I just know that I've read that other similarly rated parts (at least in those few characteristics I've listed) may not perform as well.

Those are just a few things coming from a noob that may tie into your decision. I could be completely wrong on all of them. Your question interested me, so I tried to think it through as if I were in a similar situation at my current level of understanding. I always wonder what parts matter most in a circuit and why they're recommended / chosen for certain properties. Others with far more knowledge and experience will surely chime in. If you reach a conclusion, I'd enjoy learning more.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Joined 2018
Paid Member
From the Build Guide,

"For Class AB amps, I personally like to make it just a capacitor bank style CRC filter without the PI resistors so I replace the resistors with a jumper wire."

If you are building the Universal Power Supply Board without the Pi resistors, replacing them with jumper wires, is it still a CRC filter?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Great question. Now I understand. Someone with far more knowledge than I would need to chime in re: whether that's a typo or if the 'R' in the CRC comes from another part of the circuit and/or if it's just a matter of semantics I don't yet grasp.

From what I can tell from the build in the linked guide, I don't see any pi resistors in the build on the boards with the green LEDs. I see the bleeder, the LED resistor, and the snubber resistor.

It looks like the boards with the red LEDs have the pi resistors.

Sorry that I can't provide more substance.

Edited to add - 6L6 to the rescue!!!!