diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

Attachments

• input_stage_med.jpg
    input_stage_med.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 347
I bend my high power resistors like this. It lifts them away from the board, so the board won't turn brown. You can modify the bends to fit different spacing easily.

Thanks, that's similar to what I tried at first. I'll take a picture after breakfast. I have to choose between interfering with C17, or the OPS leads. Maybe I'll change the OPS orientation to "flat mounted" against the heatsink and just do it that way.

I am slightly worried about the integrity of the leads, as I keep re-shaping them.

Are those 5 watt parts?
That looks to be the only emitter resistor that does not have clearance towards the middle of the board. Work this one out and the others will be easier.
I almost always mount the pc board flat to the heatsink. Saves space but can make the adjustments hard to reach once the amp is assembled.
I also use Antek transformers...They are local to me. Do your transformers have the center hole filled with epoxy and drilled for a bolt? That seems nicer the Antek.

Are those 5 watt parts?
That looks to be the only emitter resistor that does not have clearance towards the middle of the board. Work this one out and the others will be easier.
I almost always mount the pc board flat to the heatsink. Saves space but can make the adjustments hard to reach once the amp is assembled.
I also use Antek transformers...They are local to me. Do your transformers have the center hole filled with epoxy and drilled for a bolt? That seems nicer the Antek.

1) Yes, those are Dale 0R2 5W resistors.
2) I agree. I wanted to make the adjustments easier, but I am okay with either orientation. I just wanted to do something a little bit different. :)
3) Center hole is filled and drilled, it came from SumR - (Primrose division), it looks great, and used good(expensive) 12 GA wire secondaries, etc. Just never came with the hardware to mount.

Attachments

• 24484091204_f35cbf44a4_k.jpg
    24484091204_f35cbf44a4_k.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Okay, I've played around with the 5 Watters. Regardless of the orientation, there are two that would interfere with capacitors on the PCB unless they are mounted close to vertical. Has anyone extended leads before? *I could solder a piece from one end onto the other, I just never seen it done before.

*Making a post that sticks up out of the PCB for the Lead to solder to.

Last edited: