DIYA store "Wolverine" (Son of Badger) .... suggestions ??

Hi Keantoken,

I'm just wondering which arrangement you think is best for the caps c116 & c114.

Above or below the main caps?

It's funny because almost every layout revision changes the nature of the parasitics here. Currently the long trace from the negative 100n pin to ground dominates it's loop inductance so the ringing doesn't appear on the rails but now it's ESL is probably larger than the lytics making it fairly useless. Not that it matters because the output transistors are all the way up in Canada. The only use for these capacitors is shunting RF noise from the input power and they perform that function best when they come directly after the power input terminals without any extra trace length.

I think Mark Whitney was worried about the rail impedance at the output transistors and the best way to address this would be a small lytic bypass to the ground side of the zobel from both rails.

If its below like in my last layout couldn't we just swap the speaker ground and the ground terminal and then run the traces like this to reduce the current loop.

That helps a lot, good thinking.

Last edited:
Question... Keantoken, please clarify

Were exactly do you want the G1 - G2 connection. Do you want it to connect directly to G1?

Were exactly do you want the G1 - Glift connection. Do you want it to connect directly to G1 or the speaker ground terminal?

Vargasmongo has the right idea in post 694, but the current arrangement probably wouldn't have any noticeable issue. Does G1 go to chassis or something?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Vargasmongo has the right idea in post 694, but the current arrangement probably wouldn't have any noticeable issue. Does G1 go to chassis or something?
I believe that G1 is just the designation for the Power ground and would of course go back to the 0v rail through the GND terminal on the main power supply board.

Those two holes at G1 are just via's joining the copper top to copper bottom.

The other one is just for a test point.
Like this
View attachment 946988

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
So something like this for the final version?
20210429_010029.jpg

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Based on all the comments and OS design intention this is the final version. Which optimizes the loop area given all other fixed constraints

Attachments

• 1.9.0 Final.png
    1.9.0 Final.png
    489.5 KB · Views: 429
  • Traces-1.png
    Traces-1.png
    227.8 KB · Views: 446
  • Traces-2.png
    Traces-2.png
    204.9 KB · Views: 418
  • Traces-3.png
    Traces-3.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
stuart. You have moved one of the monting holes. So now i belive it do not line up with the predrilled UMS heatsinks.
Hi AudioSan. Yes your right I did move that mounting hole. That hole if I'm not mistaken was a additional hole added by OS to help with the load on the pcb when tightening the terminal screws. It is not part of the UMS and would have been needed to add anyway. To my understanding it's final position was not set in stone.

If someone is unable to tap a hole they can use a plastic pcb stand off like the one shown.

Feel free to check the UMS and get back to me.
Screenshot_20210429-160525_Google.jpg

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I wonder about the extra ground track for c114-116 to return to c115-117 ground pins. Why not just make it as short as possible accross the input terminals, as suggested in post #701 ?
Reading back over keantokens post I see what you're saying and what he was saying in that post but I guess I didn't pick up on it. I'll save another version make the changes and ask him again which version he prefers just incase I've missed something.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I was just trying to mimic what OS had originally done.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Updated

I wonder about the extra ground track for c114-116 to return to c115-117 ground pins. Why not just make it as short as possible accross the input terminals, as suggested in post #701 ?

Hi All,

Hopefully I have now interpreted Keantokens critiques.

I also had to update the SIP1 Protection Header as there was a creepage problem between the pins.

Keantoken, Please confirm this is correct. :D

Attachments

• PSU-4.png
    PSU-4.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 401
  • PSU-3.png
    PSU-3.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 385
  • PSU-2.png
    PSU-2.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 391
  • PSU-1.png
    PSU-1.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 432
  • 1.9.1.png
    1.9.1.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 383
Another (very minor) thing. Is the wiggly track for nfb from the output to J3 really necessary ? Why not a simpler track to L1 pad ?

Edit: another thing: I'm not sure about the value of the spidery thing around G2. LED1, C101-102 could share a small local gnd plane without penalty at first sight, the same at the bottom of the board. Heck, you could probably connect C103 to it.

Last edited:
Hi AudioSan. Yes your right I did move that mounting hole. That hole if I'm not mistaken was a additional hole added by OS to help with the load on the pcb when tightening the terminal screws. It is not part of the UMS and would have been needed to add anyway. To my understanding it's final position was not set in stone.

If someone is unable to tap a hole they can use a plastic pcb stand off like the one shown.

Feel free to check the UMS and get back to me.
View attachment 947187

Okei :) I remember the same holes on the honey badger too, I've never used the UMS heatsinks, so don't know all those holes. I for one like to do my own drilling and tapping :)

Why does the feedback loop need to go through J3 and all around the world like that? why not go somewhere in between r113-c114 then R110 C115 instead and eliminate the outer trace and J3.
Also why not push down R111, J1,J2 to be at the same height of R112,113 and Q107 and fatten the output trace a bit? If Q105 is a problem you can prob reposition the whole ensemble down from Q105-c110 to C111-Q106 including the mid resistors.

good idea R111 same high as R112 and R113 not sure what you mean about J1,J2

fatten output trace? but we have top and bottom copper already 4 oz of copper with both layers if the PCB is order as 2oz copper

1oz 10.2A 35u copper double layer makes 2oz so 20.4A example if order as 1oz

2oz 14.5A 70u copper double layer makes 4oz so 29A example if order as 2oz

Attachments

• copper thickness.JPG
    copper thickness.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 180