DIYA store "Wolverine" (Son of Badger) .... suggestions ??

Dale CPF2 have a smaller body than almost every other 2W. They are not always easy to find and should not be used as a reference size, although being nice resistors.
Standard 2W or 3W metal film resistors should be specked even if it's with there legs tightly bent.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    68.3 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Yup ...

I still like the 3W route for 4R. Plenty of either SMD/TH at mouser.

OS
Ok.. I see my mistake. Thanks guys.

But I guess the question remains.
Should we consider moving the top of the pcb up 4mm to make it the same 10mm overlap as the bottom is and increase the space a little more.
It wouldn't take long to adjust the pcb.

Last edited:
You will have to look to the suggested output device mounting on the UMS spec.
You will want to have sufficient lead length between the PCB OP holes and
and the UMS heatsink holes. Try to stay with the original Badger spacings.
Those are highlighted in the UMS PDF.
OS

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Please Review

Hi OS,

I believe that Harry is just about done with the BOM review and I have been making a few changes as he has been checking. He found a body length problem with the silkscreen and pads for most of the diodes. So I have redrawn and adjusted accordingly.

Please review what I have done.

Attachments

• DIYAWolverine1.7.4.zip
    137.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IPS update.png
    IPS update.png
    344 KB · Views: 421
  • update 1.7.4.png
    update 1.7.4.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 426
SMD option for R120-125

Small square pads (circled) will also give the option -
Moulded SMD wirewounds.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/418/5/ENG_DS_1773242_F-720908.pdf

If I could find the SM-5 varient - digikey has them.
Blocked
.93c X 6 - very cheap.

Talk about a non-intrusive emitter resistor. :)
edit - or ... make that center emitter resistor through-hole into the SMD pads. Don't be scared
of these SMD's , they are huge (7.3mm X 13.5mm).
OS

Attachments

• pads.jpg
    pads.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi OS,
I'm not sure that's going to work.

The metal lead / strip that you solder to under the resistor encroaches in the creepage allowance.
The inside of the lead / strip measures 8.6mm

I removed R120A / R120B for clarity.

This might be a good choice.
PNP300JR-73-470R
or
WNC470FE

Attachments

• SMD 2.png
    SMD 2.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 331
  • SMD 1.png
    SMD 1.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
DIYAWolverine1.8 Final

Hi OS,

I'm done.

I managed to increase the emitter resistor lead pitch from 16.25mm to 18.5mm with a little tweak to the output trace. This will hopeful give more people more options to use parts that they have or are able to source locally were they live.

I hope you like it and approve this fine PCB for manufacture.

I suggest that someone else does a final schematic to pcb trace check to ensure that the circuit has been routed correctly.

PS. The resistor above were 470 ohms sorry about that. But equivalent 0.47 or 0.5 ohms are available.

Attachments

• DIYAWolverine1.8 Final.zip
    137.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 1.8 Final.png
    1.8 Final.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Here is some drawings of the current loops.

First picture is the current loops for the PSU caps and the PSU input. These are the areas where the rectified OPS currents have been physically separated, so they radiate strong even harmonics. At HF the total loop area decreases because the capacitors shunt some of the current.

Second picture shows the feedback current loop. Notice that it entirely overlaps the capacitor current loop. Overlapping loops have 100% coupling. This means that the voltage that appears across the inductance of the capacitor loop will be coupled to the feedback signal at a 1:1 ratio. The areas that don't overlap couple according to the inverse square law and their distance to the offending current loop.

3rd picture shows an alternate feedback route that eliminates almost all the loop area, but will probably require a jumper, and it would help to turn the PSU terminals 90 degrees.

Attachments

• PSU-currentloop.png
    PSU-currentloop.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 218
  • FB-currentloop.png
    FB-currentloop.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Newfb-currentloop.png
    Newfb-currentloop.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 201
What surprises me is that FB ground (G1-G2-G2-G2-Rlift) is also used for other parts of the circuit. Is this not a problem? I would split this into two traces (G1-G2-G2-G2 and G1-Rlift).
Also, C114 and 116 look wrong and should be placed closer to the output devices. Perhaps, swap the place of the power and output on the board.
What other parts of the circuit need to have low inductance?

I tried to work with Sprint to make the changes, just don't have the patience after using Eagle.