DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

I've just tried Version 1.58.10 under Win7 Pro (MOTU Asio), and it doesn't work, either when started as User or as Administrator. The same is true for the Version 1.58.7 and 1.58.9.

In all cases when started as Administrator, there is the same error message: "Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file."

Version 1.54.14 works normally in the same environment.

Regards,
Braca

I've just tried Version 1.58.10 under Win7 Pro (MOTU Asio), and it doesn't work, either when started as User or as Administrator. The same is true for the Version 1.58.7 and 1.58.9.
In all cases when started as Administrator, there is the same error message: "Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file."
Regards,
Braca
On which occasion and/or under what circumstances exactly do you see this message?

Sorry, did not specify my environment in full:
- Win 7 Pro, 64 bit, updates current as of last month
- Sound card is MOTU Audio Express, the driver is MOTU ASIO
- Sampling rate is set to 48 kHz

I've just seen that we wrote at the same time, so I'm adding the details you asked for:
- Unpacked the zip file
- Checked with another program that the audio interface is working
- Started 1.58.10 per double click, my virus scanner (Kaspersky) asked for permission to run the program, after that got Error 5 from DiAna
- Started 1.58.10 as Admin, got the error message quoted in the previous post.

Thanks,
Braca

Last edited:

Regards,
Braca

Same here, 1.58.10 just dies quietly leaving no message of any sort. 1.54.14 works. I'm on Windows 10 version 1909 and Focusrite Scarlett Solo, both 192KHz and 96KHz.

Maybe it's a Swiss problem? :)

@Braca: If the cause is that you simply have no permission to run that program, it is a typical Windows quirk. To get permission download (and use) the "take ownership" script.

Cheers, E.
Well, I played a little more with the system, and after I restarted the laptop and the audio interface, 1.58.9 and 1.58.10 are now working, whilst 1.58.7 is still on strike. Now both versions start per double-click, Windows asks for permission to run, and after that everything is OK.
I guess there was something peculiar with my laptop (I haven't rebooted for more than a week's time).

Thank you for your support.

Regards,
Braca
P.S. @Zung: Not quite a Swiss problem, rather a cantonal one :)

Last edited:
Yes, there are some glitches on waveform at 192KHz with asio4all.
Generally, asio4all have some issues and with other software from my experience.

It is the same with native EMU ASIO driver. Maybe it is all the "Noise" about 30Khz giving Diana problems
@Edmond Stuart I have not yet got 196kHz working with Diana on any setup (xp-win7-win10)

Note on test setup: Lenono T7250 - Win7/32bit - EMU0202

Attachments

• 2019-11-22 11_22_28-DiAna.png
    2019-11-22 11_22_28-DiAna.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 2019-11-22 11_37_49-Untitled - Arta.png
    2019-11-22 11_37_49-Untitled - Arta.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 178
Hi Thumb,

I suppose you also have tried different ASIO buffer sizes/latencies. If not already done, just give it a try.
Please, also be aware that if you run a 32bits program under a 64bits OS, you also need to install the 32bits ASIO driver and not the 64bits version (that is, if I remember correctly).

Cheers, E.

BTW, I also have troubles with my EMU interface, though of different nature.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
To enable Diana I did some investigation to install some audio specific linux distribution to access DiAna.
On the Linux side this requires -ALSA -Pulseaudio -JACK -Wine for 32 and 64bit applications -WineASIO
At first I tried Ubuntu Studio. Any attempts to open a *.exe ended up with: ...you are using a 64bit WINEPREFIX…
Excerpt from the winehq docu:

„Ubuntu's implementation of Multiarch is still incomplete,
so for now you can't simply install 32-bit and 64-bit libraries alongside each other.
If you're on a 64-bit system, you'll have to create an
isolated environment for installing and building with 32-bit dependencies.
See Building Biarch Wine On Ubuntu for detailed instructions for Ubuntu using LXC,
and Building Wine for general information.“

This does not look tempting so I tried Debian based AV-Linux.

AV-Linux comes with Wine and WineASIO out of the box.Nice.
But when starting Diana, the ASIOdriver is not found.
And trying to install ASIOdriver on other machines regularly fails due to unresolvable dependencies.
All in all a very frustrating experience with no outcome at all
I should mention that with 20yrs using Linux I am not a newbie.

Last edited:
Running 32bit apps in wine commonly requires the 32bit prefix and 32bit wine. I think the same issue is with Arta. But making one is usually quite simple, with help of winetricks.

Ubuntu still has 32bit libraries required for the 32bit wine and should keep them for a while, as decided recently.

I do not follow jackd development closely, but perhaps the problem with 32bit wineasio was the issue of 32bit jackd clients (i.e. the 32bit wineasio driver) having problems with 64bit jackd server. I have not tested but a fix for the problem seems to be available for a while Use linux futex as JackSynchro by falkTX * Pull Request #219 * jackaudio/jack2 * GitHub Bug #1207831 “jackd 2 64 bit does not correclty handle 32 bit cl...” : Bugs : jackd2 package : Ubuntu .

If diana can run in wine (i.e. the most difficult windows-specific issues are resolved), I believe the sound path is possible to sort out.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Running 32bit apps in wine commonly requires the 32bit prefix and 32bit wine. I think the same issue is with Arta. But making one is usually quite simple, with help of winetricks.

Ubuntu still has 32bit libraries required for the 32bit wine and should keep them for a while, as decided recently.

I do not follow jackd development closely, but perhaps the problem with 32bit wineasio was the issue of 32bit jackd clients (i.e. the 32bit wineasio driver) having problems with 64bit jackd server. I have not tested but a fix for the problem seems to be available for a while Use linux futex as JackSynchro by falkTX * Pull Request #219 * jackaudio/jack2 * GitHub Bug #1207831 “jackd 2 64 bit does not correclty handle 32 bit cl...” : Bugs : jackd2 package : Ubuntu .

If diana can run in wine (i.e. the most difficult windows-specific issues are resolved), I believe the sound path is possible to sort out.
Thanks for these explanations. At the time the remaining problem seems to be jackd not connecting to external soundcard.
Definitely this is a can of worms.