DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

New version

Because of two minor issues, another version has been uploaded.
At was Jan Didden who discovered them (thx Jan).
Firstly, the so called RTX6001 Attenuation Control panel. When this utility is already running, DiAna can't communicate with the RTX. This is because only one instance can talk to the USB interface at the same time. I've solved this issue by simply killing that Attenuation Control thingy. In case you don't like this brute action, you might remove the filename of this utility (RTX6001AC.exe) in the DiAna ini file at key KillBill (not recommended).
The other issue concerns the amplitude as shown in the status bar. It wasn't updated when fiddling with the gain switches on RTX front panel, that is, during an analysis. Under these circumstances the input samples are marked as outliers and further processing (of these samples) is blocked. As result, also the amplitude on the status bar wasn't updated. Notwithstanding a real change in amplitude, it was a bit confusing, as the status bar was still showing the same value.
Now, the new version (1.58.6) will always show the real amplitude, regardless of a possible error condition.

BTW, that RTX utility occupies 2MB!!! of memory, while DiAna uses only an additional 4kB for initialization of the USB port and further handling of traffic, So I wonder what kind of S/W tools programmers are using nowadays. :rolleyes:

Cheers, E.

PS: The password for unzipping the file is Yohimbine

I also had a hard time figuring out how to communicate with the RTX. That "API" description is a joke ;)
Yes, it is and that RTX utility is even more a joke. Over 2MB for such a simple task.
Haven't installed your updated version yet. If I understand you correctly, you are reading back the attenuator settings and scale accordingly.
That's right.
No remote setting of ranges yet?
Cheers!
Nope. I simply don't like it.

Cheers, E.

False positives

F*cking Norton removes the file without even asking me!
Jan
Jan, I'm sorry for you. Throw away Norton and get a decent AV scanner, for example ESET/NOD32.
See below what the majority of AV scanners think about DiAna:
Kaspersky, for example: "Not-a-virus: AdWare.Win32.Gamevance.gen", that kind of rubbish.

Cheers, E.

Attachments

• virustotal.png
    virustotal.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 247
  • jotti.png
    jotti.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 238
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am not sure I trust Microsoft to quickly and promptly react to any detected threat as fast and professional as Norton does. But it's just a feeling.

Jan

Microsoft's Defender has been the best performing in many recent tests. The enterprise version is essentially the same with more ways to lock everything down. And is widely used by places that have a lot at stake and a lot of attacks. You can do worse.

I am not sure I trust Microsoft to quickly and promptly react to any detected threat as fast and professional as Norton does. But it's just a feeling.

Jan

Norton, McAfee, etc. are sometimes worse than malware. Windows Defender or even nothing is better. As Demian says, many large corporations are embracing Windows Defender now, it is a good product and stays out of the way.

Yes, it is and that RTX utility is even more a joke. Over 2MB for such a simple task.
That's right.
Nope. I simply don't like it.

Cheers, E.

I really like your work, don't get me wrong here, but this is 2019. You don't get awards for making small executables. Anyone could still choose to use Win32 directly for a GUI application but almost no one wants to be that unproductive. Further, it is an unsafe approach and requires elevated permissions to work, and all your Win32 calls look fishy which is why virus scanners keep flagging your software.

My PC has 12 cores, 64 GB of RAM, and several TB of storage. I think we can handle a 2MB utility. It's probably all libraries, you know, not the author's source. I'm not saying it's good software, but 2MB is tiny. That would even fit in flash of the last MCU I used at work.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ran some tests with DiAna with the RTX6001 in loopback, THD is ~-122dB at 1kHz .25V. When I replace the source by Viktor's 1kHz oscillator that drops another 10dB to -132.5dB.
So it appears that as a stand-alone test set the RTX limitation is its oscillator. The analyzer is better by 10dB.

Still, no mean feat to produce a 'sound card' that measures better than -120dB. I couldn't do that for sure!

Jan

Ran some tests with DiAna with the RTX6001 in loopback, THD is ~-122dB at 1kHz .25V. When I replace the source by Viktor's 1kHz oscillator that drops another 10dB to -132.5dB.
So it appears that as a stand-alone test set the RTX limitation is its oscillator. The analyzer is better by 10dB.

Still, no mean feat to produce a 'sound card' that measures better than -120dB. I couldn't do that for sure!

Jan

No surprise because the RTX6001 uses AK4490 for the DAC. A good part, but not the absolute best, although it was a solid choice at the time of design.

tiny bug

Now, the new version (1.58.6) will always show the real amplitude, regardless of a possible error condition.
PS: The password for unzipping the file is Yohimbine
A small bug slipped into this version. Full scale units (%FS and dBFS) were 1.414 times too high (sometimes the myriad of all these units drives me crazy). So, please replace this version by the latest update (V1.58.7). My apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers, E.