Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Dear Ian and gents,

The overvoltage indicator LED lights up on one of my two 5v UCConditioners.
They are both fed by a 5v LinearPi.
Funny, the overvoltage is detected on the one with the lower voltage (5.06, 5.08 on the other one).

Anything to check?

Attachments

• PXL_20221227_085110755.jpg
    PXL_20221227_085110755.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 211
Dear Ian and gents,

The overvoltage indicator LED lights up on one of my two 5v UCConditioners.
They are both fed by a 5v LinearPi.
Funny, the overvoltage is detected on the one with the lower voltage (5.06, 5.08 on the other one).

Anything to check?
I had the same problem couple years ago. I wrote about this here about imbalance, and uneven charging / discharging.

unfortunately, I was unable to overcome this problem. I tried to add different resistors to speed up the discharge. but in the end, I decide not to risk, because if you don’t pay attention, the voltage on one of the supercaps easily goes beyond 3v with a maximum allowable 2.8v:(

Andy,

For starters, your capacitance number is WAY off. It is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals…

1/(6*(1/500)) or about 83F

You might be better served by taking 1/6 (500F is 1/6 of 3000F) of the time in Ian’s manual. That’s 1/6 of 3.33 hours or about 33.3 minutes. You also buy into his assumptions, for example, the current draw…

Still you have the ESR as Ian points out.

I think what you may be trying to do is buy cheaper caps. But, they’ll sound different too.

At the end of the day, you have to use something the way someone intended, if you expect their support. Otherwise, you’re on your own and it is not of their doing.

Personally, I do this all the time; but, I accept the consequences…

Hope that helps.

I too tried to buy that supercapacitor model but after 10 days they still hadn't shipped it... I asked for and received a paypal refund. So I bought this from Distrelec (which I haven't tested yet): https://www .distrelec.it/it/condentore-ultra-3000f-7v-spscap-cdcl3000c0-0002r7stz/p/30132154...after 5 days I received it.