Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
So where are all the folks helping out soon to be customers from Ian finding the right replacement for the Maxwell caps?
Not everyone is willing to mutilate an expensive board.
I am waiting for my friend to confirm that he actually ordered the caps at the company where i found them.
Availability of components is a bit hard and wont be any easier soon. Might well be that Mouser will focus a bit more on their bigger customers.
Maybe Ian should keep an inventory on supercaps??
Greetings, eduard

UcPure in 15V 6*3000F configuration

Now it turns even more crazy.
This is a UcPure in 15V configuration with 6*3000F ultracapacitors.

When powered on, only the fully charged ultracapacitor pack will be applied to the load. It will be a pure UC power supply and 100% isolated from any rest of the circuit.

No doubt this is the best 15V power supply in the real world. And it will be the best power supply for Andrea’s TWTMC clocks.

Why?

Actually ultra capacitor has two different working modes.

UcPure works in the first mode which I call it the class A mode. In this mode, only ultracapacitors apply to the load. No other active power supply is involved. The current goes only one direction out of the ultracapacitors into the load. Class A mode will ensure the best low ESR and low noise performance.

Another mode I call it the class B mode. In this mode, ultracapacitors work as class B shunt elements in parallel with another power supply or charger. The current goes both directions into and out of the ultracapacitor. Though the performance of this mode is still better than other active power supplies, but the dynamic ESR will still be higher than the class A mode because the ultracapacitor current crosses zero frequently. And even more, the noise of the power supply that attached can still be introduced into the voltage rail to make noise performance worse than the class A mode.

The sound quality difference between class A and class B can be heard clearly if we use them as power supplies for clock circuits such as the FifoPi clean side or the TWTMC oscillators.

UcPure is a heavy duty design for a durable operation. It can use both AC and DC as input. The quality of the input doesn't matter because the input will be disabled when UcPure is turned on.

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_9303.jpg
    IMG_9303.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_9304.jpg
    IMG_9304.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Great Jan!
Will the output voltage be regulated by jumpers? In addition to 3.3 v and 15v, will there be any other options?
How does switching between modes A and B work?
And please tell what these additional psb, they are only needed when there are more than 2 supercapacitors?

I'm waiting for UcPure to be available.

Attachments

• IMG_9303.jpg
    IMG_9303.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 475
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
What will happen at customs at the airport when they see this on the x-ray machine. In my own country i will be able to explain but what about an airport in the South of the Philippines where there is political unrest and violence?
I have been asked to explain the presence of military grey colour coke can seize caps in Laos or Cambodia in my suitcase.
Greetings, eduard

Hello,
So where are all the folks helping out soon to be customers from Ian finding the right replacement for the Maxwell caps?
Not everyone is willing to mutilate an expensive board.
I am waiting for my friend to confirm that he actually ordered the caps at the company where i found them.
Availability of components is a bit hard and wont be any easier soon. Might well be that Mouser will focus a bit more on their bigger customers.
Maybe Ian should keep an inventory on supercaps??
Greetings, eduard

There are still at least 10 available in Germany :)
Search for Nesscap ESHLR-0325C0-002R7A2, which for as far as I understand is identical to the Maxwell ultracap.

UC Conditioner voltage

Hi,
Hopefully someone can help me with this. Just hooked up an UCConditioner board to the LifePO4 supply. When the UCConditioner is in conditioning mode I notice two things:
- both ultracaps have a fluctuating voltage (dV=0.01) about every few seconds
- the voltage levels of the two caps are not the same, one cap is at 1.6+/-0.01V, the other at 1.66+/-0.01V.
Is this expected behavior?
Thanks.

Congrats Ian! I love how this is an actual option now. For a full open DIY rig that is constantly getting parts swapped and added, having access to power this clean will certainly be a huge development for this small DIY community. People who gravitate to DIY audio come from various backgrounds, but most people looking at building their own servers or DACs at least know enough about how circuits, electricity and safety work. My approach to purchasing any of your products is first to take personal responsibility and understand that it may or may not work in my system or that I may mess it up somewhere along the way by not being careful. I also understand that this is the bleeding edge of niche markets.

I mean, seriously.

We are on a forum, and an audio obsessed engineer in Canada is putting out cool custom designed boards and we are purchasing by group buys or filling out excel forms. This is as close as I'll ever get to feeling like trading bootleg recordings of concerts on cassette tape. It's so 'underground' and I love that about it.

Keep on going, cant wait to see what else you come up with! Don't worry, I think most people on DIY audio understand that this is DIY, meaning risks are involved. You aren't going to have 5 year old kids accidentally ordering 3000F capacitors from Mouser and pulling out their soldering irons and shorting things out. You also aren't going to have Stasi secret police with their German Shepherds sniffing suitcases asking what device that is, should anybody ever need to transport a fully built component for some reason. If, in some alternate reality, I had to transport this unit via airplane to a different country and I got stopped by security, I would just simply say "Officer, you have no idea what this is. THIS will give you the cleanest power for your audio. Do you like the Beetles? Yes? Okay, let me tell you something right now. You have NEVER heard a single Beetles song, EVER. You think you've heard it, but you haven't actually heard it. Once you put the UcPure in your system, you will be hearing the recording studio. You can hear the ruffle of people's clothing in the background. You can hear the building janitor coughing through the door. The bass, let me tell you. Deep, textured, clean, tonally accurate.."

I think by this time, the security guard's eyes will glaze over in much the same way as many of our wife's eyes glaze over when we talk audio, and we will be waved on through the checkpoint.

Very much looking forward to trying UcPure in the future and I appreciate your dedication to this hobby and your willingness to be creative.

@ AirAir
@Clsidxxl

Great Jan!
Will the output voltage be regulated by jumpers? In addition to 3.3 v and 15v, will there be any other options?
How does switching between modes A and B work?
And please tell what these additional psb, they are only needed when there are more than 2 supercapacitors?

I'm waiting for UcPure to be available.

Same UcPure can be set to 3.3V, 15V, 5V or something in between just by jumpers.

UcPure works only at class A mode to achieve the best possible performance. That's the reason I designed this UcPure. Based on the real test, to power TWTMC DITXO, it can run up to 4 hours before voltage drops below 13V from 15V. That would be pretty enough. When voltage below that threshold , UcPure enters a protection mode which will be automatically degraded to class B for only a couple of minutes to recharge the ultra capacitors. After that time, UcPure will be back to pure class A mode again for another 4 hours. Protection mode doesn't stop playing music.

Ultra capacitors will be charged automatically to the setting voltage when UcPure is turned off. Many design considerations were integrated into UcPure internal control logic, so everything will be operated automatically at background no need for the users to worry about.

UcPure also has a continuous output option, this option is very good to power clock circuits 24/7 to make it keep break-in for low phase noise performance. In this option, output will be continuous without stopping even if the UcPure is turned off or being charged in the background.

The small PCBs are the 3000F balancing boards that come with the 16V ultra capacitor package. Normally we don't need to buy them. They are not expensive and can be found online from many websites such as
Super Capacitor Protection 2.7v 3000f Balancing Circuit Board - Buy Balancing Board For Capacitor,Balancing Circuit Board,Balancing Board Product on Alibaba.com

Ian

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Of course in Europe at an airport where you can explain things it will probably turn out alright.
About twenty years ago my brother bought a toy gun that triggered the custom officers at a Dutch airport. Probably now it will be done differently but suddenly he noticed his family was were the only tourists left in a big area and there were a lot of '' officers '' around when he was asked to open his bag.
If ina far way ,politically unstable country you will try to explain the benefits of this supply to a group of officers while they are doing a serious job they probably wont take any risk.
I remember travelling in Asia with an insulin pump and later also a sensor for measuring sugar levels and i had my local friends send me a written explanation in their own language.

Of course Ian needs to tell us how much this will cost.
Also the latest board to be used with Andrea's new clock boards.
Greetings, eduard

The small PCBs are the 3000F balancing boards that come with the 16V ultra capacitor package. Normally we don't need to buy them. They are not expensive and can be found online from many websites such as
Super Capacitor Protection 2.7v 3000f Balancing Circuit Board - Buy Balancing Board For Capacitor,Balancing Circuit Board,Balancing Board Product on Alibaba.com
Ian

Thank you Ian!
My capacitors did not have such boards. :)
I don't understand, somewhere for 2 capacitors used 1 such a protection board, somewhere 2 boards.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Supersurfer,
I think there is a general consensus that lifepo4 supplies can be improved by adding supercaps.
Just some 325F caps without any lifepo4 in parallel or a nice power supply to keep the voltage at a steady value wont contain enough juice for most applications.
Now with the use of 3000 F , AND IF YOU HAVE SPACE AVAILABLE, some money too,more applications are possible.
Probably most lifepo4 users that use many cells wont be able to just replace the board with let us say a total of 10 3000F caps.
AND right now we dont know anything about the cost of this unit.
I asked Ian in an email about the cost of the Sinepi and right now he doesnt even know if there is enough demand to be able tyo make at a reasonable price.
Greetings, Eduard

Ian the UcConditioner look very nice,but i would like to understand in detail that it is the difference between UcConditioner and hybrid power please.

Hi Ian,

In view of this post by clsidxxl and this remark in the manual:
UcConditioner 3.3V may cover the function of UcHybrid. But for better integration, UcHybrid will be your first choice if use LifePO4 power supply.

What would be the proper way to bridge UCConditioner to LifePO4 board instead of UCHybrid? I currently connected bridge (e.g. J25) to input of UCConditioner, this works fine, but power is then also on during LifePO4 charging. Can I connect bridge to UCConditioner output as if it were a UCHybrid (don't dare to just try :) ).

Hi Ian,

This looks very promising! Did you compare it with your battery board & uchybrid on the clock units? The battery board & uchybrid is also off the grid and ultracapaciter clean.
I like to know the sonic difference.

I use UcPure (3.3V configuration) powering FifoPi clean side (with Pulsar OCXOs), the sonic difference was very clear to be heard.

UcPair with two 3000F UCs has the best sound quality.

The second is two 3000F UCs in parallel with a LifePO4 cell.

I did a lot of test and have a good list for different configurations. I know which is the best. But it's just my own experience. Just hope somebody else can confirm.

Good weekend.
Ian

Hi Ian,

So there is a distinctive difference, good to know.
Can you describe the differences you hear between the UcPure and the ultracap+battery combination on your fifopi?

Yes, the main difference is the 3D image pinpoint. Pure 3000F UCs as power supply are absolutely the winner. That's only my experience. Greg confirmed this with similar results but he still not yet have my UcPure for evaluation.

Ian