Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Hello,
I am going to do the same. 5 volt on the lifepo4 assisted by the 5 volt UcCondtioner to feed the raspberry.
3 3,3 volt lifepo4 with each their own UcHybrid board to feed fifopi, sts and reclockpi separately
And one 3,3 volt lifepo4 without assistance to feed something more....

But i am not using the UcAdapter kit because i think it will make more sense to mount the stationpi above the lifepo4 board . As far as i can see now i will be able to have some aluminium panels lasercut that will allow me to install the supercap boards i need and the stationpi board on a surface not bigger than the lifepo4 board.
I hope you will get the support needed now the clock debate has faded.
Could it be the supply that you are using for the lifepo4 board.
Yesterday i installed the lifepo4 cells. Before mounting i discharged them because they were send to me fully charged. All around 3,2 volt or more. . The manual states you have to discharge them before soldering. Of course as safety measurement but i guess it also needed to have the charging process with connected supercaps to work as designed?
I was surprised how much energy these little cells contain.
Greetings,Eduard

Hi Edward,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. In the last week, I was wondering what you were planning as far as safety with these caps in an enclosure. It's starting to sound well thought out.

I'm using a 19V - 5A HP Laptop power supply. Without the UC Adapter kit installed, I get strong 5v, 3.3v x 4 - no problems on both of my LifePO4 MKII boards. That is a good thing to look at.

With just a single UcHybrid 3.3V connected to either J1 or J2 they shut off with the ‘Short Protection’ error.

I've tested 4 UcHybrid 3.3V boards, all do the same, work great @ J3 & J4, fail @ J1 & J2.

I'm just hoping to get this to work as it's supposed to, as you all know, there is a lot of time, effort and money invested in getting this together.

I'm hoping a lower voltage setting on the batteries for J1 & J2 might help, but I'm not going to mess around with that without Ian's help. Perhaps it is my power supply coming in like you pointed out, but I'm not sure of that, I've tried 2 of them, same issue.

As I think through this I'm fearful that the new firmware upgrade I asked for might be the culprit. At least I can use the 2 UcConditioner 3.3V boards that I had purchased for another project, so all is not lost.

Thanks,

Aguaazul

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
After reading your messages with reading glasses i think the problem must be on the lifepo4 board somewhere.
You are right you spend a lot of time and money in this '' set up '' which is promoted by means of this site as very close to perfect.
BUT now you are kind of left desperate and start feeling the need to use swap meet.
There are plus 1500 posts in this thread. There must be someone who you should know what is the matter!
Greetings, Eduard

SCP

Hi Kirks, Thanks for the suggestion, totally made sense. Unfortunately that did not help.

It actually made the board so it will not stay on at all, even with no UcAdapter connected, shortly after powering on I get the ‘Short Protection’ error and it shuts off.

I'm not trying anything else until Ian answers. The sad thing is that had a solution that I could use to power my DAC with the Andrea's clocks running on batteries, now that plan is dead in the water. Super sad.

:sad:
Aguaazul

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
In the end someone will be able to tell you why this thing is giving you the creeps.
I am happy i didnt go for '' composing '' the 16,5 volts with 5 lifepo4 cells in series with each its own UcHybrid print because in order for it to work properly you need to put it close to the clock boards.
I will go for one 61,7 F 18 volt cap. A quick charger and a '' clever '' system that will switch between an '' audiophile supply '' once the charging is done,
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• foto voor fietsaccu-revisie.nl.jpg
    foto voor fietsaccu-revisie.nl.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 369
  • 20210527_150325.jpg
    20210527_150325.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 374
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello ,
It seems lifepo4 has turned out to be a dead end street.
Dont wanna use a board with lifepo4 that seems to have some issues.
Unless there will be a real solution offered to Aguaazul together with an explanation what did cause the problem i am going wear a belt and suspenders especially when it is used to '' feed '' circuits that sound better when being switched on 24/7.
Greetings, eduard

Hi Kirks, Thanks for the suggestion, totally made sense. Unfortunately that did not help.

It actually made the board so it will not stay on at all, even with no UcAdapter connected, shortly after powering on I get the ‘Short Protection’ error and it shuts off.

I'm not trying anything else until Ian answers. The sad thing is that had a solution that I could use to power my DAC with the Andrea's clocks running on batteries, now that plan is dead in the water. Super sad.

:sad:
Aguaazul

Hi,

I also had this short circuit problem once. In my case this was caused by the ribbon connector to the control display, it had one damaged contact due to plugging in and out too many times when working on my streamer.
You might want to check this.

Regards,

Hello,
In the end someone will be able to tell you why this thing is giving you the creeps.
I am happy i didnt go for '' composing '' the 16,5 volts with 5 lifepo4 cells in series with each its own UcHybrid print because in order for it to work properly you need to put it close to the clock boards.
I will go for one 61,7 F 18 volt cap. A quick charger and a '' clever '' system that will switch between an '' audiophile supply '' once the charging is done,
Greetings, Eduard

Hi,

I also had this short circuit problem once. In my case this was caused by the ribbon connector to the control display, it had one damaged contact due to plugging in and out too many times when working on my streamer.
You might want to check this.

Regards,

Thanks Supersurfer.

Has anyone successfully implemented Ian's UC Adapter kit for both UcHybrid 3.3V x 4 & UcConditioner 5V?.

My plan was to use 1 lifepo4 with the UC Adapter kit for both UcHybrid 3.3V & UcConditioner 5V & use the other lifepo4 without any UC stuff just to power Andrea's clocks. Now that I've lost 1 board completely I need to come up with a new solution for the clocks.

I've been buying from Ian for quite a while, way before he got on the RPi kick, with that being said...

Ian stands behind his stuff. If there is a tech, shipping, or any other problem, in my dealings with him he has always made things right. He upgraded the firmware on my 2 LifePO4 mkII for free, I just had to pay for shipping. If the firmware is the root of my latest issues, it will be interesting to see how he does make it right.

Just last week, my reclockerpi showed up (after 29 days in the post - CA > USA) with pin #1 bent over. I was able to get it straightened out. Ian told me not to worry, he'll replace it if necessary. If it works I won't ask for another, I'm not trying to scam him out of parts. Now with my power supply situation, I won't be able to tell for a while.

Lastly, when he sent me the wrong part (group buys must be hard to ship) he told me to keep the decoder & quickly shipped out the correct part to me.

Patiently waiting for Ian to chime in to get my LifePO4 mkII's working as expected / advertised.

Aguaazul

Hey everyone,

On my own I tested all of the R250 resistors, found that I had blown the fuse @ J1. After replacing that, my board came back to life.

I had asked how to connect up all of this to the LifePO4 MKII. I was never helped. In my own experimenting, I was doing it all wrong. Ian finally pointed that out to me.

He's helping me get it connected correctly now.

Cheers,
Aguaazul

Hi All,
It was not the manual's fault it was mine.

I'm not at all worried about Ian's products. He's always helped me get through it, sometimes not as fast as one would like.

I have 2 of the version MKII Boards. The MKIII Boards have connectors directly for UcHybrid AND getting more than the 4 - 3.3 supplies but the full 8!

I like that the system shut off because I had connected it up wrong, I looked at the way the UcConditioner was connected & connected it up in parallel. That was my mistake in reading the manual wrong.

In the manual it says for MKII, connect UcHybrid directly to battery. I did not want to do that as I have battery holders. I ended up soldering the wires to the bottom of the battery holder terminals AFTER Ian pointed that out to me.

I have a running board with UcConditioner & UcHybrid ready to connect up to my DAC. I was out of M2.5 spacer screws to add my ReclockPi & get the space I need for Andrea's sine to square converter connections too. I should be able to get it running soon & report to all.

Also, the 1st time I soldered the wires to the bottom of the board, I soldered the '-' side to the slot on the board & not the battery holder pin itself. Ian pointed out that that will cause much unneeded overhead so to move it over to the pin itself. It was an easy fix. Photos (1st photo shows how 'not' to connect it):

UCHYBRID w-MKII Connections - Google Photos

Cheers,

Aguaazul

PS: This is for MKII Owners only. Not MKIII.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I hope you dont mind my offering these here. I bought these after getting involved with Ians products and reading this thread.
I have 5 pairs of Maxwell BCAP 0310 P270 T10 for sale.
The other pair are soldered together whilst I tried them.

I decided that discretion is the better part of valour to save me blowing up the house, wife, cat .

Purchased from a reputable seller. Genuine Maxwell.

Details in the swap meet but preference given here

Attachments

• 20210619_103150.jpg
    20210619_103150.jpg
    957.4 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I know I'm a bit crazy too. But I have to say this could be the best 3.3V power supply is the real world.

It's a UcPure 3.3V configuration with 3000F+3000F ultracapacitors pack. Only ultra capacitors will apply to the circuit when power on. So nothing compare.

UcPure can be in three configurations:
1. 3.3V (two 3000F)
2. 5V (two 3000F)
3. 15V (six 3000F)

Ian

Attachments

• UcPure.jpg
    UcPure.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 317