Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Skele+on 300F Caps

Eduard,

Just purchased a pair and will compare them with my 325F Maxwells and see if they sound any different. I have 325F Maxwells on order from Mouser but they won't arrive until October but I'm not in a rush and I don't have the space for a 3000F capacitor (possibly UcPure). If these Skele+ons sound better than the Maxwells then I'll cancel my Maxwell order and buy several more of these. Good find! Build quality looks excellent and I'm looking forward to hearing how they sound compared to the Maxwells. I'll be sure to let Stew know as well.

Allen

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Eduard,

Just purchased a pair and will compare them with my 325F Maxwells and see if they sound any different.

Hello Allen,
I received mine within a week but i think the delivery system within the USA is done by horse and carriage.

Usually my parcels from Mouser are shipped for free with Fedex international priority. If i am right they leave Texas to arrive in Chicago, from there to Paris and then directly to the Fedex hub in my country.

Greetings, Eduard

Eduard,

I received mine! However, I only have one UcConditioner 5V board and there is no way I could desolder the Maxwell capacitors from it. I tried for a long time and it is such a tight fit that once it is installed, it is pretty much set for good. I removed almost all of the solder but there was still a little bit that I couldn't get and the capacitors were locked in. I didn't want to apply too much heat for a long time, so I gave up. I was REALLY looking forward to hearing if there was a difference or not, sorry to disappoint! The worst part is, I only need one UcConditioner at 5V in my system. All the rest will be 3.3V once I order them, so I can't do any direct A/B comparisons.

Uc-Conditioner1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Allen

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Allen,
Once the Maxwell are soldered it is impossible to remove. During heating up with the iron it is no use pulling a bit at the cap because there is several soldering spots in one plane.
I think even if you would have a professional system to desolder it will be hardbecause probably it will also be soldered a little bit on the component side.
Maybe you can ask Ian to do a little test BECAUSE using these German caps will allow mounting without harming the circuit the circuit board
Greetings, Eduard
P.s If they appear to be better people already using a board with the Maxwell will send their boards to swap meet.

Eduard, is the conditioning light on your 3.3v board red or blue? I just got the Skele+on caps soldering and going but my conditioning light turns red while all of my 5v boards turn blue, but not sure if that's to differentiate the boards.

I'm also having sound issues in one channel but probably from moving the modules around.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Stew,
I just soldered them but never applied any power to my 2 boards because the lifepo4 19 volt input is not ready yet.
With the UcHybrid boards the caps can only be soldered on the board in one way so polarity will always be correct . Better ask Ian after he finished " debating " with Andrea. A few more weeks of debating and people will start doubting about products being offered.
Greetings,Eduard

Everything seems to be working but not sure about the red light. In any event, I think the 3.3v ultracaps helped on the Fifopi. My DAC has become one big ultracap. I've added in increments and think in general they have helped add cleaner, very detailed, lower bass and taken some of the harshness off of the highs. With the buffalo dac and mercury IV, sound is very detailed. I am still trying to tame the high which can be bright. This may owe to the ESS dac chip - I also am using a Benchmark AHB2 with bookshelfs that have ribbons which are inherently bright. I have some bisek transformers I am eager to try to then have a full ultracap powered dac. I also have Ian's dac to try but the number of ultracap filtered outputs you can add quickly adds up.

I should add, I am using 30VA r cores for some of the power supplies and think they may have ever so slightly quieted the sound but you're pretty far into diminishing returns given the other things in the chain.

Attachments

• image_67236097.jpg
    image_67236097.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Stew,
All your boards are ucconditioner boards as far as i can see.
I use the ucconditioner 5 volt board with Maxwell that i bought true swapmeet for the Raspberry.
For the 3,3 volt supplies i am using 3 or 4 separate UcHybrid boards with the German supercaps connected to 3 or 4 separate lifepo4 cells.

I think if you post a picture of the board while in use Ian will tell what to check for sure!
Greetings,Eduard

I should add, I am using 30VA r cores for some of the power supplies and think they may have ever so slightly quieted the sound but you're pretty far into diminishing returns given the other things in the chain.

Greg,

Just a few questions on your setup:

a) were you using DC power before switching to R-cores?

b) I see your incoming main power is filtered using an EMI/RFI filter, does this make a difference

c) If one day you decide to put everything in an enclosure, would you still run into trouble with these large capacitors if the power goes out for an extended period of time? Meaning, would you need to open up the enclosure, disconnect each UcConditioner from what it is feeding, plug the power cord back into the wall and wait for each UcConditioner to fully charge, then reconnect the UcConditioner back to, for example, your FifoPi? You had mentioned once that an uncharged ultracap is like a dead short for a while until it is charged and was wondering if the technology in the UcConditioner negated the need to have to open up the enclosure and disconnect everything before charging them up again in case somebody pulled the power cord out while you were on vacation.

Allen

This isn't Greg Stewart (another Stewart though).

Not sure the filter makes any difference given the number of other things in the chain.

Ian's charging boards boards handle everything. If the power goes out, next time it comes back on they'll charge up for a bit and start conditioning, just like turning the power on and off.

I have 2 if Ian’s LifePO4 MKII Power supply boards. I sent them back to Ian to get the firmware upgrade for the LifePO4 MKII 5V Always on option so the Raspberry Pi would not get shut off & become unhappy. He did this at no charge - very grateful.

They both work fine. But I recently added the UcAdapter Kit, along with 1 - UcMateConditioner 5V & 4 UcHybrid 3.3V supercapacitors. 5v + 3.3v + 3.3v + 3.3v + 3.3v.

Here’s my problem, shortly after powering on I get the ‘Short Protection’ error and it shuts off. Same issue on both LifePO4 mkII Power supply boards.

I have narrowed it down the 2 –3.3 volt only supplies. The 2 – 3.3v > 13.2v work fine. I’ve switched & swapped all configurations, using different UcHybrid 3.3V boards connected to the basic 3.3v supplies. With and without the UcMateConditioner 5V & just one at a time.
It’s strange that it is happening on both of my LifePO4 MKII Power supply boards.

Without the Uc’Stuff’ they both are fine.

I’ve read & reread both LifePO4 MKII & UcHybrid manuals but I can’t seem to find what I’m doing wrong. I’m pretty sure it’s me ��

I do have a few UcConditioner 3.3V.

So, I soldered one up, connected to the 3.3v only connection with the other 2 – 3.3v & the UcMateConditioner 5V running & had no errors.

I'd really like the UcAdapter Kit, UcMateConditioner 5V & UcHybrid 3.3V to work as advertised.

Can anyone comment on what I’m seeing?

Thanks,
Aguaazul

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I am going to do the same. 5 volt on the lifepo4 assisted by the 5 volt UcCondtioner to feed the raspberry.
3 3,3 volt lifepo4 with each their own UcHybrid board to feed fifopi, sts and reclockpi separately
And one 3,3 volt lifepo4 without assistance to feed something more....

But i am not using the UcAdapter kit because i think it will make more sense to mount the stationpi above the lifepo4 board . As far as i can see now i will be able to have some aluminium panels lasercut that will allow me to install the supercap boards i need and the stationpi board on a surface not bigger than the lifepo4 board.
I hope you will get the support needed now the clock debate has faded.
Could it be the supply that you are using for the lifepo4 board.
Yesterday i installed the lifepo4 cells. Before mounting i discharged them because they were send to me fully charged. All around 3,2 volt or more. . The manual states you have to discharge them before soldering. Of course as safety measurement but i guess it also needed to have the charging process with connected supercaps to work as designed?
I was surprised how much energy these little cells contain.
Greetings,Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I think i have seen some confusion before about people expecting a '' nice colour '' when everything is ok. In everyday life red means something wrong.
The manual will probably state which led should be lit when something is wrong.
BUT he also writes the lifepo4 shuts off which of course should not happen if nothing is wrong.
Greetings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
For use with the 3,3 volt lifepo4 it is better to use the UcHybrid boards and not the UcConditioner.
Ian should react pretty soon i guess because people having issues with his products and writing about it here wont be good for sales.
But i think people who have been using it should also be able to help.
Greetings, eduard