Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Ucconditioners installed. Dc in on right side and analog out via Sowters left side.
The first days I was playing without the Sowter transformers (doede special edition), and I felt something was missing. The sound was clear and detailed, but listening fatigue was knocking at my door, hmmmm, what could solve this,,, then I come to think on my Sowters, which sounded over the top bass heavy when my dac was using a big choke psu.

Doede’s Sowter special specified trafo’s seems to hit the bulls eye in combination with Ian’s Ucconditioners. I have decided to ad one more conditioner on fifopi to replace the 5v reg from Ldovr.

Anyone else using this conditioners and want to share their listening impressions ?

Ps; when the picture was taken the wires from fifopi is not connected to mainboard dac, if someone wonder.

Attachments

• 5B53A50C-64C4-47A9-A828-0E287474CEBB.jpg
    5B53A50C-64C4-47A9-A828-0E287474CEBB.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:
You've got a lot of time on your hands! Good insight.

I like the questions you raise, but your means seems passive-aggressive and statements verge on exaggerated. Although I'm sure not intended in that way.

I'd suggest this is a bit harsh to post this, without asking Ian privately as to why there is a difference, as there could be many reasons. As I'm sure you will understand building products is never a linear business model. It could be simply to do with the volumes he has ordered for specific parts as he expects the 3.3v to sell less or part shortage of the pandemic etc.

Keep asking the right questions, but it would be nice if it could be in a constructive way and give Ian the opportunity to answer privately for anything that could be controversial:)

@prohvesor

Those polymer capacitors are in parallel to take the local decoupling. The waveform would be better for high current high frequency dynamic load than without. The reason is that no matter how short are your power wires, there still be resistance and inductance which could generate ripple for dynamic demand current.

However, the sound quality may not be exactly related to the measured waveform, especially with very good power supply.

I don't think there is any problem to remove those capacitors as long as you use ultra capacitor power supply. But I would suggest you make the decision according to your real listening test.

I'm interested in your result. Please let us know if you have any update.

Regards,
Ian

Hello @iancanada Thank you for your reply!

I already removed those polymer capacitors. The sound become more detailed and transparent, realistic. But now I prefer listening only good quality recordings, because on recordings with medium quality, I feel some intrusiveness at high frequencies and therefore I cannot listen for a long time
My system is:
NAS->Allied Telesis optical converter-> Allo USBridge Sig->FifoPi Q2(ldo bypassed,3.3V,Crystek 45/49)->ShieldPi->ES9038Duo(three lines 3.3V->Lundahl transformers->Tube headphone amp->HD650
All powered with LiFePo4 PSU
FifoPi and ES9038 working in synchronous mode.
Polymer capacitors removed from fifopi and from es9038.
Probably I need to add Ian's supercaps?

@prohvesor

Those polymer capacitors are in parallel to take the local decoupling. The waveform would be better for high current high frequency dynamic load than without. The reason is that no matter how short are your power wires, there still be resistance and inductance which could generate ripple for dynamic demand current.

However, the sound quality may not be exactly related to the measured waveform, especially with very good power supply.

I don't think there is any problem to remove those capacitors as long as you use ultra capacitor power supply. But I would suggest you make the decision according to your real listening test.

I'm interested in your result. Please let us know if you have any update.

Regards,
Ian

Yes, do that. You won’t regret it. Ian’s UCconditioner on FiFoPi isolated side is a real upgrade.
I have UCconditioners also on the unisolated side, and on my dddac tower. The sound is very detailed and with a strong/tight bass, just love it. But, and this is important, If your setup has the slightest sign on giving you listening fatigue it can tip over and end up wrong at the end.

Attachments

• 0F7F8BFE-68B8-48BA-A6FB-C9BB6BFAE6B9.jpg
    0F7F8BFE-68B8-48BA-A6FB-C9BB6BFAE6B9.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Hi Simon.

I have removed the 7810 regulators on the dac boards, and what’s left is the 8v tent shunt regulators. 10vdc in on the tent shunts is working fine. I have been using 10vdc in on mainboard for several months without any kind of problem. I know Doede prefer the 7810 regs in place, just to be safe i guess, but I took the chance, and so far so good.

I also like the sound better without the 7810 regs.

Hello everyone,

I got a question

How good are the dacs from ian?

I already have a streaming rig built and I absolutely love it.

I especially like a unexpected buy/mistake the receiverPi. I have my flat-screen connected to it and movies sound super awesome. Like cinema good. Huge huge uptick from before. And yes the music is also awesome, duh! [emoji2]

I wonder what the dac from ian can do. I already have a stellar dac which cater my every need. But if I can have a similar performance with Ian's gear

-very speedy dac
-excellent tone
-it surprises you every time (magic factor)

Are there people out there that can comment? Also what is your setup, did you buy something special to complement Ian's gear? JPEG_20201104_215607_295895959275145436.jpg JPEG_20201104_215652_8637366169126047572.jpg JPEG_20201104_215817_7844750623188654289.jpg

Sorry, if this been answered. Could find any new information.
I'd really like to order UcMateConditioner for my LifePO4 MKII board to provide clean power for Rpi4. As I keep RPI always on, I'm interested if and when will it possible to have continuous DC 5V mode enabled for MKII?
It's been mentioned that firmware update can be done. Would really appreciate to have more information before then next GB.

Ian, if you read this, please let us know.

Can someone help me with setting up LifePO4PowerSupply

Help :confused: with setting up LifePO4PowerSupply
manual talks about shorting TP11 TP12 for example on the back of the board I can not find TP11 TP12 there are battery short points like BT1 to 10 with battery numbers .
can someone tell me where are those TP points are?

also is it possible to configure 4 x 3.33v and 1 13.2v if so how to do it

I figured out how to configure LifePO4PowerSupply 4 x 3.33v and 1 13.2v in case someone else is looking for similar setup
remove battery an holder from BT4(to avoid any mishaps :eek:) do not install BT1 Battery all other Batteries should be installed
short TP5and TP6.
should now get 3.3V on J1 J2 J3 and J17(need to install J17 pinout)
and J4 will be 13.2V

Very nice - I also have EtherRegen. Sound impressions compared to stock SMPS?

DC input into LinearPi, anyone tried this - would it take 12vDC in, for example from an ATX power supply?

I've always been a bit hesitant of putting transformers inside my computer enclosures.

Ian - any answer to this? LT3045 seems to take upto 20VDC in, so why is your design limited to 6V AC or 7-9V DC power input?