Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Hello.

I'm considering the ConditionerPi to upgrade my system.

Currently I'm using a Anker Battery Pack to power the RPi + HAT optical (via GPIO 5V).

I can either upgrade with the ConditionerPi and/or with a A123 LiFePO4 battery pack.

I was considering not attaching the ConditionerPi directly to the RPi and just run it separately. Can I USB pwr out to directly power the HAT? I want to bypass the RPi completely. The HAT will power the RPi via GPIO.

The UCConditioner is too large for my application so have to rule that out.

Is it possible to get 5V native without a regulator with the A123 @ 6.6V. I ruled it out, but then noticed this post:

Digione signature - Allo - Roon Labs Community

Note: The Allo accepts 5V-6V so can be misleading.

On the website, it mentions 5V output:

LiNANO® 2,5 Ah 6V 10C LiFePO - Empfängerakku aus A123 Zellen, fertig

A bit confusing for a pwr noob.

So:

A) Anker USB + ConditionerPi via GPIO
B) Anker USB + ConditionerPI via USB 5V out to HAT.
C) LiFePO4 downconvert 5V + ConditionerPi
D) LiFePO4 native 5V?
E) LifePO4 native 5V? + ConditionerPi
F) LiFePO4 6.6V native + ConditionerPi? I don't think possibile since 5V only?

Last edited:
Hello i have fifo pi q2 reclocer with rpi4, rpi powered by lps power suply, reclocer and dac powered by lifepo4 bateries, waiting for balansers to add maxwell ultracaps. it work amaizing. even xmos usb to i2s dont work in that high sound lvl. But for now im thinking to add to rpi conditionerpi with ultra caps. Measureds looks good. Can any one say what changes in sound after add conditionerpi.

I think that LifePO4 power supply should be given up. There is no need to attach Ultra Capacitor to improve its shortcomings. LifePO4 has problems such as battery aging, etc., which may be difficult to improve with Ultra Capacitor. In contrast, UCCONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board is worth buying. I have bought many Ian's modules, but I don't want to buy LifePO4 power supply.

@yunyun,

LifePO4 power is already very good. Both low noise and dynamic response performance are.The only thing is that the internal resistance is not contend when discharged at different percentage. Ultra capacitor has even lower ESR, so it still makes improvement when they work together. This was confirmed at the listening test by my system. Especially to power the MCLK. Not only at measurement.

Regards,
Ian

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Ian,

Me and one my friend we are struggling to understand how to properly use the universal uCaps to power up my DAC.
The idea is to have an external linear or switching PSU at 5V that will power up a set of your uCap circuit to have the following voltages:

- 2 x 10V 400mA for the analogic side
- 2 x 3.3V 100mA for the digital side
- 1 x 5V 100mA for the motherboard
- 1 x 5V 500mA for the EDEL NMR renderer
- 1 x 6V 200mA for the display

I attached here a schematic with the solution that based on what we understand from the datasheet we are supposing it's working.
Any though and suggestion are welcome

Thanks and Regards,
Enrico

Attachments

• Schematic_2.jpg
    Schematic_2.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 490
Hi Ian,

Me and one my friend we are struggling to understand how to properly use the universal uCaps to power up my DAC.
The idea is to have an external linear or switching PSU at 5V that will power up a set of your uCap circuit to have the following voltages:

- 2 x 10V 400mA for the analogic side
- 2 x 3.3V 100mA for the digital side
- 1 x 5V 100mA for the motherboard
- 1 x 5V 500mA for the EDEL NMR renderer
- 1 x 6V 200mA for the display

I attached here a schematic with the solution that based on what we understand from the datasheet we are supposing it's working.
Any though and suggestion are welcome

Thanks and Regards,
Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Your schematic shows that you shorted all the input together.
UcCoditioners need independent/isolated DC input if they don't share ground at negative output.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

If I use UcConditioner to power to Buffalo DAC, McDualXO or McFIFO, do I need to consider the power output switch additionally for UcConditioner? That is, when I cut off the input power of UcConditioner, will the output of UcConditioner also be cut off? Ultra capacitor, is a huge energy component, will not be consumed quickly after the external power supply is cut off.

What is J5 on/off contril signal output used for?

@yunyun,

LifePO4 power is already very good. Both low noise and dynamic response performance are.The only thing is that the internal resistance is not contend when discharged at different percentage. Ultra capacitor has even lower ESR, so it still makes improvement when they work together. This was confirmed at the listening test by my system. Especially to power the MCLK. Not only at measurement.

Regards,
Ian

@Ian

I know that the noise of LifePO4 is very low, far better than any kind of power supply. However, if LifePO4 works with Ultra capacitor, the power is actually supplied by Ultra capacitor. In this case, the power output quality should only depend on the Ultra capacitor itself, making LifePO4 with very low noise no longer has an advantage.

Ultra capacitor is a super huge energy storage component, so it has excellent filtering ability. Maybe Ultra capacitor with LifePO4 can be better than Ultra capacitor with other kind of power supply, but the difference will no longer be obvious. Considering the short life of battery, LifePO4 power supply may no longer have advantages.

Ian, Do you compared Ultra capacitor with LifePO4 and Ultra capacitor with other kind of power supply in terms of hearing sense? In theory, the difference should be small enough to be ignored.

According to my own research, LifePO4 or Ultra capacitors also suppress the noise in the power supply, thereby reducing the ground noise of the system, and can bring a large degree of improvement. This is why there is reclock in the system, and the use of super capacitors or LifePO4 can bring further improvements, based on improving ground noise rather than improving signal quality.

The ground noise of the system will continue to accumulate and pass to the connected devices, including analog amplifiers and speakers. These are not reclock can handle.

In fact, the grounding box is better solution for the ground noise. Unfortunately, except for Asian players, players in other regions are not able to accept grounding boxes of unknown principles.

In fact, the principle of the grounding box is the same as the filtering of the capacitor, except that the grounding box uses the most natural natural ore with more natural improvement, which has the ability to absorb noise originally for music, and can work without a power supply. Just like the difference between a permanent magnet without external power and an electromagnet with external power.

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

If I use UcConditioner to power to Buffalo DAC, McDualXO or McFIFO, do I need to consider the power output switch additionally for UcConditioner? That is, when I cut off the input power of UcConditioner, will the output of UcConditioner also be cut off? Ultra capacitor, is a huge energy component, will not be consumed quickly after the external power supply is cut off.

What is J5 on/off contril signal output used for?

No, you don't need any additional switch for UcConditioner. If the input is off, the output of UcConditioner will be shut down immediately.

J5 is an optional control output. It's for the other possible devices that don't have this feature. Please just leave it unconnected if you don't use it.

Ian

Ian,
what is the voltage level to switching off?
for example, allo Shanti has supercaps also and output voltage going down very slowly after switch it off.

UcConditioner shut down logic is based on current, or if the input voltage is lower then 4.9V/3.1V. So, when the power supply is cut off, UcConditioner will shut down immediately.

However if the power supply it attached to doesn't really shut down at the moment when it is turned off, UcConditioner will follow the same until it's really shut down. Because at that time the power supply is still at on state .

The power supply you mentioned could be designed for continuous mode only without suitable on/off logic. UcConditioner still works with it. But may have some delay when you turn off the power supply.

Regards,
Ian

@Ian,

Does the output current of 5V or 3V output on conditionerPi depend on the input current of conditionerPi? How can I control the output power of 3.3 and 5V? I have a 5V10A linear power supply, and I plan to power supply 3.3V and 5V UcConditioner via conditionerPi.

Last edited:
@Ian,

Does the output current of 5V or 3V output on conditionerPi depend on the input current of conditionerPi? How can I control the output power of 3.3 and 5V? I have a 5V10A linear power supply, and I plan to power supply 3.3V and 5V UcConditioner via conditionerPi.

ConditionerPi output current depend on ultra capacitors, not the input current. So, at very short time it can deliver huge current. But it has built-in protection logic, if the output voltage is drooped lower than 4.8V/3.1V, the ultracapacitor will be cut off for safety.

Ian

ConditionerPi output current depend on ultra capacitors, not the input current. So, at very short time it can deliver huge current. But it has built-in protection logic, if the output voltage is drooped lower than 4.8V/3.1V, the ultracapacitor will be cut off for safety.

Ian

@Ian,

The 3.3V output current of the ConditionerPi is still based on the current characteristics of the external LDO board, but the 5V output current is dependent on ultra capacitors, is that right?

If so, when I need 3.3V power supply to charge 3.3v UcConditioner, should not be installed 3.3v LDO board on the ConditionerPi, because the space is too narrow and heat dissipation is problems. When you need to charge 3.3v UcConditioner, you should use 3.3v LDO board in other space with better heat dissipation and get 5VDC power from ConditionerPi. If the power supplies of all digital circuit board, such as Buffalo DAC, McDualXO or McFIFO, come from 5VDC ConditionerPi, shouldn’t the burden be too great? I mean that ConditionerPi’s 5VDC to charge the ultra capacitors on other UcConditioners, the burden should not be too great? After all, UcConditioner has a current limit function.

The power quality of the 3.3v LDO board, which is the existence of LDO, on ConditionerPi should not be as good as 3.3v UcConditioner, so I don’t quite understand what can be done by installing 3.3v LDO board on ConditionerPi? Most digital circuit boards have built-in LDOs, so the required power supply is 5V, not 3.3V.

Last edited: