Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Hi, what you mean normal use? I have using my dac about 6h and im charging bateries.

Normal using means that you have regular charge/discharge cycle to the battery calls, for example, on a my LifePO4 power supply with DC input connected. However, if you want to disconnect the DC input (without charging) longer than a week, you will need to disconnect the power cable between UcHybrid, that will be good for battery life time.

How much imorovement that a ConditionerPi can make to a RPi DAC

I did listening tests to some popular RPi DACs without and with a ConditionerPi. I used just a normal 2A USB adapter as power supply for my RPi 4.

The improvement was very clear after install a ConditionerPi on top of the RPi.

I didn't do serious tests as well as long time break in. Just with simple setups, I've already felt much more details and more air surround environment. Higher sound density. Bass was deeper and solider. Much musical than before. I have a sound tracks that was felt too noisy to me now plays very nice at same DAC. I spent a long time really enjoy listening to the new discovery from that music.

As an engineer, I need to know how much improvement it made, so I did another dynamic load transient response test. The step of the demand current of the dynamic load was 500mA. The steps was switching at 1KHz frequency. Please find the attached waveform of output voltage rail before and after a ConditionerPi.

Thanks for the new released 10F/3V ultra capacitors. The finial performance is better than I expected though both capacitance and size are smaller.

ConditionerPiBoss
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Attachments

• USBpower500maDynamicLoadBefore.png
    USBpower500maDynamicLoadBefore.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 439
  • ConditionerPiWithUSBpower500maDynamicLoadAfter.png
    ConditionerPiWithUSBpower500maDynamicLoadAfter.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Everyone seems to be jumping on the GB thread...I think unfair until Ian gives the heads up.. possibly confusing/complicating the official GB process .

But we look forward to these exciting new products!

Well done Ian. You certainly are a master of design and I applaud your subjective listening tests

Everyone seems to be jumping on the GB thread...I think unfair until Ian gives the heads up.. possibly confusing/complicating the official GB process .

But we look forward to these exciting new products!

Well done Ian. You certainly are a master of design and I applaud your subjective listening tests

Not jumping at all and very happy to wait to be totally clear ;)

It will all be worth the wait :)

Again, ian's new products are first listed on audiophonics.fr, and the price is of course much higher than on DIYaudio. This means that it will be available on DiYadudio soon.

In the manual of UCCONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board 3.3V, the USB did not remove and the power output label was not changed to 3.3V on the second page.

Last edited:
I think that LifePO4 power supply should be given up. There is no need to attach Ultra Capacitor to improve its shortcomings. LifePO4 has problems such as battery aging, etc., which may be difficult to improve with Ultra Capacitor. In contrast, UCCONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board is worth buying. I have bought many Ian's modules, but I don't want to buy LifePO4 power supply.

UCCONDITIONER is looking great!

Also in the future meybe some plans for higher voltage uc? Lets say most common 12-15v.

I 100% agree with this, can a 12v version be produced to pass though >10A? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2:

We have the 5v and the 3.3v version, it's just begging to be made into a full ATX power supply conditioner.

I couldn't go down the route of LifePO4 as need to have voltage regulated within ATX specs.