Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Thanks Ian,
The low discharge voltage is also under controlled. If the cell discharge voltage is lower than the threshold, say 3.0V, the battery will be protected to avoid any damage from over discharge.
Is overcharging an real issue in case of ultra capacitors?
I assume than ultra capacitors power management will be a little different that in the LiFePO battery case.
As I see it now I would need 5 set of dual ultracapacitors modules for 5 rails
+3.3V for clocks and reclocker chip
+5V for analog part DAC
-5V for analog part DAC
+5V for digital part DAC
-5V for digital part DAC
Due to lack of space ideally that boards would be spited to ultracapacitor power management board with chargers, relays etc and sets of compact dual capacitors boards.
This solution could be flexible and scalable. Just to consider.
Regards,

hi Ian,

It is difficult to find ANR26650 with tab, could you tell me where I can buy it? Can I solder the tab on the battery by myself?

Hello Ian,

fantastic work, well done!
I am interested in one too.

I do not know if this is the company in Germany for which you are searching the link, but they have a lot of LiFePo4 Batteries. With tab or without.

LiFePo4 und LiIon Akku-Zellen | i-tecc LiFeEnergy

Regards
André

I bought some of the 26650 A123 LifePO4 cells from this German supplier years ago,
a123 : A123 Systems APR18650M1A 1100mAh - A123 Systems AMP20M1HD-A, 2

They should still keep in stock.

I also bought some used recently, I'm happy with the quality:
Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Regards,
Ian

Hey Do...why would they need tabs? I can't see tabs on the ones Ian used in his photographs. I've bought from ebay and from BatterySpace.com/AA Portable Power Corp. Tel: 510-525-2328 - Powerizer Battery Official Site before.

hey @pinnocchio, apologies...I now see the cells that Ian used with the tabs on it. However, on his version 1 build (green PCB) you'll see that he's mounted spring-loaded battery mounts rather than permanently mount the cells by soldering the tabs to the underside of the pcb. That solution is the one I'd go for as it will let you replace cells much more easily. In the four years that I've been using lifepos to power clocks and things I've had a couple refuse to charge out of the 10 that I originally bought. Most likely caused by me discharging them too far.

@TNT

Ultra capacitor power supply rails can be any voltage between 1.8V and 5.4V.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,
I have a couple of questions re the UC psu:

1) I saw a comment from you that you can chain these together. I would love to try your UC solution to power the output stage of my DAC which requires + 32v and -32v to both left and right channels. However, chaining 7 of these together and the multiplying that by 4...28(!?) is going to be challenging (to say the least!!). Is there the possibility to make a higher output voltage psu? One that could supply +/- 15v would enable it to be used on Twisted pear's Mercury output stage which could be worth exploring.
2) I understand that the lifepo and the UC supplies are isolated and therefore if I require a negative supply I just swap the connections around...that makes sense to me! But I wanted to check what happens in this scenario: I have three connectors: COMMON GND, POS and NEG. Up until now I've had 2 regulators (one positive and one negative) and it's been obvious how to connect them up. With the battery supplies I am assuming that I just connect the negative of one to the common ground and the positive to the POS and then just swap the other around so that the positive battery terminal goes to the common ground and the negative goes to the NEG terminal.

I'm guessing that's right but to my simple mind it would just be connecting two batteries in series!?!?!?!?!??!

Hi Ian,
I have a couple of questions re the UC psu:

1) I saw a comment from you that you can chain these together. I would love to try your UC solution to power the output stage of my DAC which requires + 32v and -32v to both left and right channels. However, chaining 7 of these together and the multiplying that by 4...28(!?) is going to be challenging (to say the least!!). Is there the possibility to make a higher output voltage psu? One that could supply +/- 15v would enable it to be used on Twisted pear's Mercury output stage which could be worth exploring.
2) I understand that the lifepo and the UC supplies are isolated and therefore if I require a negative supply I just swap the connections around...that makes sense to me! But I wanted to check what happens in this scenario: I have three connectors: COMMON GND, POS and NEG. Up until now I've had 2 regulators (one positive and one negative) and it's been obvious how to connect them up. With the battery supplies I am assuming that I just connect the negative of one to the common ground and the positive to the POS and then just swap the other around so that the positive battery terminal goes to the common ground and the negative goes to the NEG terminal.

I'm guessing that's right but to my simple mind it would just be connecting two batteries in series!?!?!?!?!??!

5V or 15V is due to the LDO, but if you use battery power, you can bypass LDO, and directly connect the voltage input and output of LDO on the board.

It also need bypass LDO when you use Ultra capacitor, because LDO will interfere with power quality.

If you are using Twisted pear board, you should be using a battery instead of an Ultra capacitor.

In the battery-powered system, you do not need to connect to GND, only need to connect the positive and negative poles separately. The battery can output positive and negative power without GND. The positive pole of the battery is positively output, and the negative pole is negative output, so when powering Mercury, only need to connect positive and negative respectively.

I am trying to buy some modules from taobao.com and combine them to form a battery-powered module according to the information Ian shared. After I have finished testing and confirmed that I can use it, I will share it.

Last edited:
5V or 15V is due to the LDO, but if you use battery power, you can bypass LDO, and directly connect the voltage input and output of LDO on the board.

It also need bypass LDO when you use Ultra capacitor, because LDO will interfere with power quality.

If you are using Twisted pear board, you should be using a battery instead of an Ultra capacitor.

In the battery-powered system, you do not need to connect to GND, only need to connect the positive and negative poles separately. The battery can output positive and negative power without GND. The positive pole of the battery is positively output, and the negative pole is negative output, so when powering Mercury, only need to connect positive and negative respectively.

I am trying to buy some modules from taobao.com and combine them to form a battery-powered module according to the information Ian shared. After I have finished testing and confirmed that I can use it, I will share it.

I do not think this is entirely correct. If you have a circuit needing +/- 15V it is, depending on the circuit not enough to just use a 30V supply (battery in this case). I almost all cases you have to use two powersupplys (batteries in this case) and connect one + to one - and connect this to ground.

Hey Ian, any chance the LiFePO4 board can be monitored over i2c or some other digital protocol? It would be nice to be able to keep track of the state and trigger events if needed.

Thanks wealas, that's a very good point.

My LifePO4 power supply has a reserved communication port for this kind of applications. It is possible to post status and to receive command over that port. But this feature of software has not been implement yet. Can be upgraded once it's done.

Regards,
Ian

I used the search function, butcould not really find an answer, so may I ask for the Bufallo III/Fifo Ownwers here:

The BIII38pro comes with the following power requirements:

In all - this module requires 5 regulators (all voltages DC):

VDD: ~1.2 - 1.3V ~220ma Note - nominally this is 1.2V but ESS sent a design notice that it should actually be above 1.25V ‘ and no more than 1.5V when operating with sample rate above 192Khz or DSD128 with the ES9038
DVCC: 3.3V ~10ma
AVCCL: 3.3V-4V ~100ma
AVCCR: 3.3V-4V ~100ma
VDD_XO: 3.3V ~ 25ma
*note: current is stated for ES9038 with 44.1khz input signal and 100Mhz master clock current consumption rises with sample rate - ES9028 will use less current.

...for one module. Do I understand this right, that your power supply module could power all of them individually ? What to do with the 1.2VDD ?

Normally, the Bufallo needs:
(1) AVCC-SR Dual 3.6V Series Regulator Module
(2) TridentSR 3.3V Series Regulator Module
(1) TridentSR 1.3V Series Regulator Module

...so the first three would go ? What aboit the last one ?

Other than that, I got an WaveIO which as well like a good power source, a FIFo II and Dual Clock boards with the Pulsars on them.

Can you please confirm that this setup is supported, so no need for a PlacidHD anymore ?

Best Regards

Frank

I used the search function, butcould not really find an answer, so may I ask for the Bufallo III/Fifo Ownwers here:

The BIII38pro comes with the following power requirements:

In all - this module requires 5 regulators (all voltages DC):

VDD: ~1.2 - 1.3V ~220ma Note - nominally this is 1.2V but ESS sent a design notice that it should actually be above 1.25V ‘ and no more than 1.5V when operating with sample rate above 192Khz or DSD128 with the ES9038
DVCC: 3.3V ~10ma
AVCCL: 3.3V-4V ~100ma
AVCCR: 3.3V-4V ~100ma
VDD_XO: 3.3V ~ 25ma
*note: current is stated for ES9038 with 44.1khz input signal and 100Mhz master clock current consumption rises with sample rate - ES9028 will use less current.

...for one module. Do I understand this right, that your power supply module could power all of them individually ? What to do with the 1.2VDD ?

Normally, the Bufallo needs:
(1) AVCC-SR Dual 3.6V Series Regulator Module
(2) TridentSR 3.3V Series Regulator Module
(1) TridentSR 1.3V Series Regulator Module

...so the first three would go ? What aboit the last one ?

Other than that, I got an WaveIO which as well like a good power source, a FIFo II and Dual Clock boards with the Pulsars on them.

Can you please confirm that this setup is supported, so no need for a PlacidHD anymore ?

Best Regards

Frank

I assume it works all fine.
On page 14 of this thread, Ian was showing a Buffalo 3 se and Mercury powered by the Lifepo4 battery pack.

The only local regulator still needed is for VDD 1.3V, so this Trident should be still in place, the rest is replaced by 3.3 V (AVCC, DVCC) and 13.3 V (Mercury) ports of the Lifepo4 pack.