Dartzeel amp schematic - build this?

I am sure it does, it just cannot sound much worse. Only in this thread we are not after performance, the Model 1 was bad enough performance wise. No, we are looking for pure magic :)

Thanks to the 0.22ohm resistors the parallel version has also a higher output impedance than the diamond (0.33ohm vs 0.22ohm). A small difference but in a range where it really makes a difference with many speakers.

I have two clones of the original, both built with pretty much the same parts. Most importantly i have used the same PS. Along these lines the comparison between 1 and 2 is not even remotely in favour of 2, especially into 4ohm loads. The way the sound roughens up with volume is something the original does not do. Harmonics up the the 20th are evident. The 2 also has lower OLG, so this is by no means surprising. The idea that the same circuit is used to produce 100v peaks in the 458 appears a bit shaky to me.
After the ancient NHB-108 model one, the newer LHC-108 and CTH-8550 amps contain the 458's circuit with 2 pair of MJL1302A/MJL3281A. To suppose the NHB-108 model two includes a similar one is logical but there is no exact information...
You may think the key of darTZeel magic is the schematic and the spectrum of THD.
The real magic is the synergy between the circuit and the "sound" of certain parts which are used by dartzeel.

If you change a resistor from Dale RN55 to Beyschlag MBB/SMA0207, you cannot measure any difference concerning THD, etc. But you can hear difference and you may step into the real dartzeel sound's direction...

My 458 circuit's THD:
39,3Veff / 8,2Ohm ( 188W ) / 1kHz - THD=0,085%
38,8Veff / 4Ohm ( 376W ) / 1kHz - THD=0,11%

and I use this amp with a speaker which has 2.5Ohms impedance minimum.

Attachments

• LHC208_0035.jpg
    LHC208_0035.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 347
  • CTH-8550_1577e0d64bba6a.jpg
    CTH-8550_1577e0d64bba6a.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 340
My 458 circuit's THD:
39,3Veff / 8,2Ohm ( 188W ) / 1kHz - THD=0,085%

Which seems in line with the published measurements for the 458. Have you measured the distortion spectrum at some more usable power range? Perhaps 5 - 50W?

Come to think of it i have mostly heard the original 458 at extreme power levels, where its distortion is minimal.

Attachments

• 1kHz distortion 8ohm.jpg
    1kHz distortion 8ohm.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 308
Part of the explaination for Ver2 result may be that some part of the amp schematic is located on the protection PCB, in fact extending the already amp small foot print. That may be the way they were able to squeeze to 458 circuit into the 108 frame. Looking at the ver2 protection PCB we can see it is using smd part, but more important look at the left section where a new connector is added. We can see BCP52, BCP53 smd transistors, and added parts. Maybe there is a first gain stage on this section than it goes to the final output pcb... Just a tought...

Attachments

• Protection added section.jpg
    Protection added section.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 314
180W/8ohms/1kHz.

The simulation is close to what i measured. Not very pretty.

The Stereophile measurement with the gradually decreasing with output power distortion is impossible to replicate.

I get you idea: the amp ugly distortion is compensated by mellow sounding passive parts. Not sure i can swallow it.

Attachments

• 458_180W_Fourrier.JPG
    458_180W_Fourrier.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 458_180W_spectrum.JPG
    458_180W_spectrum.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 114
Nearly finnished Dartzeel.

R102 and 101 is 110 kohm. Placed an parrallel with input resistor 51 kohm. Now Total bias from 230 vac is 0.5 A. One channel warmer then the other and I wonder why. DC out is fine. There is some AC at output. Input parralel by testing is 600 ohm. Hope it will be ok when I use a Pre at input. Maybe I should ad a input buffer if there is to much noise. I will let it warm until it's morning.

..." Looking at the ver2 protection PCB we can see it is using smd part, but more important look at the left section where a new connector is added. We can see BCP52, BCP53 smd transistors, and added parts. Maybe there is a first gain stage on this section than it goes to the final output pcb... Just a tought...

AND does this not look like a multilayer pcb?? Even more difficult to descipher :(

Attachments

• Protection added section.jpg
    Protection added section.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Maybe just 2mm thickness, like the amp pcb... But indeed impossible to figure the actual circuit with just a few pictures...

I don’t think there is some magic circuit for the amp on this board because I read somewhere you could upgrade from model one to two without the new protection board if your model one was of later date with SNCP ad on.
Also the new update is using the new solid core silver wire from the input to amp board and on the pictures from the new protection board I can’t see this wire.
There were more steps, price’s for the upgrade.

Anybody know about C3 and 4.

Your issue has nothing to do with the caps. The level of bias depends on the zeners, the transistors current gains and the base stopper resistors. Please take measurements and publish the voltage drops across R19/R20 in both channels. This is just to make sure all the zeners are identical. If they are then the difference in bias is due to different current gain of the output transistors. Have you matched those in any way? What is your rail voltage?