DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

There isn't really any much info apart from the shop page that you linked to, so I don't know. I would say, you're probably fine using one you already got.
For my current AD1862 build I'm using a little separate supply for the mute board and the LED of the on-switch, as I wasn't sure if a could just grab it from the + side of the PSU2s +/-5V part.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I suppose you can grab the 5v from wherever you like. I'm sure it's very low current requirements. But I agree which is best practice and which is most convenient are two different things.
I'll take it from an existing rail for now to test. Remember Miro's PSU1 atleast has some raw DC output pre reg so that would be the best and then give it a little reg of it's own , if polluting the DAC rails is of concern.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello.
Have any of you heard a DAC with the I/V stage NTD1 (design by the member OPC, in my case with PCM 1794 in front of it) compared to an AD1862 DA converter from Miro1360.
It is clear to me that the NTD1 is an I/V converter and the AD1862 is a DA converter that the members here use with a number of different I/V converters.
Therefore, a direct comparison is of course not possible.
I'm more interested in finding out whether a DAC based on the AD1862 has significantly more potential than my current concept or not.

Hello,
I am trying to use up some inventory and I have a couple of 47uf/50V Nichicon Muse BP, the old green ones. Could they be used in C16, C26, on the 1862 board.
Cheers,
MM
UES will be good, but there are better options, UES has a relatively large leakage current which is not desirable in this position. A better choice of audio radials are UKZ, UFG(standard UKL) or Panasonic FC, from SMD tantalum series T489 (kemet) or TL3 (vishay). As for TH tantalums I don't know which ones are good (certainly not cheap), I haven't measured and compared them.

@Tesla Audio - You could email Lyuben this question. He is usually very responsive and helpful.

I use the JLsounds Oscillator board which stacks right on top of the I2SoverUSB card. I can't comment on how it would compare with the Ian Canada stuff.

@ Sorenm, when using external clock did you notice any improvement. Which crystal oscillator do you use?
My friend use Ian Canada SC-PURE and he is very satisfied with improvements.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/comp...-ultra-low-phase-noise-491520mhz-p-18254.html

Hello everyone.
I am back to proceed with the project after some time it was put aside due to lack of energy and mood .
Yesterday i made the first test with PCM1702P and i had terrible noise from one channel . i swapped chips and it seems one of the PCM1702 is defective . So i ordered one and i will be waiting for it to arrive and hoping it will be operational . Until then i would need some help from the tube guru guys @NIXIE62 @grunf as i used the attached Borbely hybrid circuit as an i/v stage (figure 5) using 100ohm i/v resistor .
I then connected the output to my Noir HPA which has 6db gain and i wasn't satisfied with the gain - it was too low .
Is it possible to achieve 2v rms output with this circuit ? i made some calculations . according to them with Riv=100ohm and Iout of PCM1702=1.2ma that means v= 85mv rms at the input of the Borbely circuit . So for 2v rms i would need 23-24 gain . But i want to use lower Riv as suggested by grunf sth like 47 Ohm so the gain would need to be double than that . I don't know if it is possible with the circuit . Would making R8 10K be enough ?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• hybrid.pdf
    754.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
@Tesla Audio I never used the I2SoverUSB without the external oscillator board so can't comment on the improvement. I use Crystek 957 clocks.

A while back, I added one of Ian's ultra capacitor boards to power the I2SoverUSB and oscillator 'stack'. This made a noticeable difference. Especially in the low end/bass. What a rabbit hole :giggle:

PXL_20231022_185310068.jpg

Reactions: 2 users