Collaborative Tapped horn project

It's been a week since I finished my "Chicken Little" project (post 1364). It's named that because I DID IT MYSELF. I like to have help when I cut 4'x 8'x 3/4" ply sheets on my underpowered little contractors saw, but this project was easy, using only 2 - 5'x 5'x 18mm sheets of Baltic Birch. The finished project is only 18"x21"x60" and 109 lb. unpainted.

I have a copy of GoldWave, an audio software editor. Firing Goldie up, I soon had some sound files suitable for the new box. First, some sweeps (30-120 Hz) and scales (B1-B3). This soon got booring, so I did a variation on the theme from Wagners "Flight of the Valkyries" otherwise known as Buggs Bunny/Elmer Fudd's "Kill da Wabbit."

My back yard overlooks a park, and neither of my neighbors were home, so I fired-up my little 75 watt amplifier and pushed "play."

... Damn, "Chicken Little" was LOUD!

Next, I poked my head into the mouth and watched the speaker cone during the Sweeps. It didn't seem to move at all. Hornresp predicted that 200 watts of sine wave would use up my XMAX, but I'd bet that it's closer to 300 watts ...and 600 watts of music should be no problem.

Thanks to Tom, William, David, and everyone who shared information and provided encouragement.

Sabbelbacke said:
Hallo Michael :)

Liest sich gut und sieht schick aus!

Thanx for the measurements. Seems to be pretty close to the sim.

Off-Topic!

Hi "Sabbelbacke",

tried to contact you, but you switch off the possibility to send e-mails to you. I'm doing a IT-project over the next months in Marburg. Interested to have a beer after work and chat a little bit about speakers? :)

Best regards
Tapio

PASUB PA390

Rademakers said:

Thanks Johan, I knew about that thread and it wasn't the one -- the thread I remember mentioned actual size and maximum SPL at given power levels (150dB springs to mind), but I think it was on a non-searchable forum (probably one of the home theater or subwoofer forums) and I can't find it again :-(

I had an email from Erik at PASUB saying that dual 4 ohm coils will be an option, which will make driving several kW a lot easier than a single 8ohm coil (most high-power class-D amps aren't bridgeable).

I've asked the obvious question about cone shredding in a horn (Mmd=118g suggests a light cone for a 15" driver even allowing for the short light CCAW XBL2 coil) but haven't had a reply yet.

Release of the drivers (and more details like price) is due "in the next month or so". I don't know if the driver will be officially available one-off to non-OEMs, but most companies will consider a larger quantity -- hence the question about a possible group buy (if price is not too astronomical like the Acoupower drivers), though this makes shipping interesting...

Ian

P.S. Xmax is +/-20mm, spec sheet is pk-pk not one-way

iand said:

The PASUB drivers are unusual in their combination of high efficiency (97dB/W) with high Xmax (I calculate 17mm linear, 20mm mathematical) and power handling (2000W continuous) -- the 15" looks uniquely good for a medium-sized tapped horn where an 18" driver is really too big.

2000W in continous power handling. Yeah, that'll be the day.. :D

HornResp predicts that my speaker will hit XMAX at 40Hz and 200 watts (40 V). To check it, I need:

Multimeter (RMS AC)
40Hz sine wave source
small laser pointer
modelling clay
business card

Glue a small paper flag to the speaker cone. Then, mount the laser to the cabinet with modelling clay, so that the beam passes about XMAX from the edge of the flag.

Using your sine wave source, slowly raise the power until the laser beam begins to hit the paper flag. Note the AC voltage, then shut the speaker down.

Attachments

• disp.gif
    disp.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 813
ion said:

2000W in continous power handling. Yeah, that'll be the day.. :D

Many pro drivers from respected manufacturers with 4" coils are now rated at 1200W AES (continuous 2hrs pink noise rating). 2000W for a 5" coil is pretty ambitious but not impossible, depending on how effective the voice coil cooling is.

At least with pro drivers ithe power rating is usually a real figure which has been tested, as opposed to the higher but completely fictional numbers of many car drivers with 3" coils...

Ian

"Many pro drivers from respected manufacturers with 4" coils are now rated at 1200W AES (continuous 2hrs pink noise rating). 2000W for a 5" coil is pretty ambitious but not impossible, depending on how effective the voice coil cooling is."

The Xbl^2 is an underhung technology too. Conventional overhung designs have problems with the ends of the coil hanging out of the gap overheating and burning. Take apart a failed one and you will see the center of the coil (in the gap) is copper colored, and the coil ends are burnt black.

hi, i am new to tapped horns but have done a lot of research

the programs to simulate tapped horns seem very complex, but from just looking over various designs i think i have a plan for a build.

basically i am planning to take a simplistic design like the one below...

http://www.cowanaudio.com/images/30Hz Tapped Horn.gif

then i would like to extend it from 1850mm to 2200mm (the hight of my room)

so i basically plan to stretch the horn to 2200mm to get a slightly lower output and keep the other dimensions the same, also this will mean stretching the center panel which will coincidently change the horns expansion rate, or better still i can change the other dimensions so that the expansion is exactly the same, but the horn is slightly larger along the 450 dimension. I m guessing that logically this would be better. (hope i am making some sense here, and any comments on this would be appreciated)

i plan to place the sub close to a corner, i will also whack a plate amp on it somewhere with a inbuilt crossover and low end boast (if needed) etc

a few quick questions

1) would the above have a acceptable performance and get me flat to at least 20-25hz?

2) i am thinking the peerless xxls or the eminence lab 12 would make suitable drivers for this application, am i correct?

3) will this actually make for a decent horn, or is the design more complex than simply stretching a horn a bit and inserting what appears to be a suitable driver

i am looking to get about 110db at 20hz to about 60hz

also if someone could quickly simulate my (stolen simplistic and probably useless) design and post me with a few graphs it would be very very appreciated, but you don't have to

am looking to build within the next few days and will provide pics of the project etc etc

thanks

nathan

Naudio said:
hi
2) i am thinking the peerless xxls or the eminence lab 12 would make suitable drivers for this application, am i correct?
The LAB is not optimum, but as I have 4 I'm going to use Don Bunce's design from earlier in the thread. There was a sim done for it in Akabak and it looks OK to me.

Also check out Erik (Volvotreter) design around post 666 for an older Eminence, but appartently the 3015LF will work in it too. IIRC the input data page for Hornresp was posted so you could use that as a basis and mod with the 3015LF driver parameters to check. I'd have 4 of these myself if I had the space. The 3105LF is very affordable from BLT Sound in the US.

Hey,
I am new to this and have found myself bitten by the TH bug. I have two MTX 9515 woofers one being the SVC and the other being a DVC .
I was wondering if anyone has simulated this driver in hornresponse in a TH and if they would post the input parameters. I am attaching my input parameters so I may get some feed back from you guys on what I can do to make this better. Measure twice cut once. I intend on building with the SVC version woofer as it has not been used the other driver has been in another box before. Thanks for the previous post I am learning alot.
dee

Attachments

• tapped horn.gif
    tapped horn.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 723
djk said:
"Many pro drivers from respected manufacturers with 4" coils are now rated at 1200W AES (continuous 2hrs pink noise rating). 2000W for a 5" coil is pretty ambitious but not impossible, depending on how effective the voice coil cooling is."

The Xbl^2 is an underhung technology too. Conventional overhung designs have problems with the ends of the coil hanging out of the gap overheating and burning. Take apart a failed one and you will see the center of the coil (in the gap) is copper colored, and the coil ends are burnt black.

Don't I know it -- this is what happens to a (very expensive!) McCauley 6174 subwoofer (Hvc=40mm, Hg=10mm) when driven with repeated bass notes at the 25Hz reflex tuning frequency where cone excursion is reduced...

The Seismic 8196 which replaced it (Hvc=25mm, Hg=50mm) has suffered no such problem in over 5 years of use -- but it did cost me nearly $600 :-(

Ian

Attachments

• inside6174coil.jpg
    inside6174coil.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 732