Collaborative Tapped horn project

Sabbelbacke said:
One thing that occured to me when looking at the sim: The compression ratio is very high, around 7:1. That´s quiet a lot, putting a lot of stress on the cone. With almost 400g weight, it might be enough, but without actually putting it to the test it´s hard to tell. Almost all CAR-Subs are designed for front mounting in ported or closed enclosures where the acoustical impedance load is much "eaysier" on the cone than in a horn-design. The high mass mostly serves the purpose of lowering fs. Even the LAB-Subs which use especially designed speakers (LAB12) to put in a horn have much lower compression ratio...

that's right !

:up:

but i know that someone have tried this driver whit 3KW (REAL) in a reflex box... so the resistence of the cone is good... :)
but, i repeat, this design is only an experiment :D

Sabbelbacke said:

Which results in 50 Liter Box (it just wanted to try it out to see if it works, but never got the time. purpose was a small PA-Sub for a little Party in the basement or stuff like this). The Tang Band is similar in design to many car-speakers (actually it´s used in cars a lot)... I didn´t persue it because a little deltalite 2510 was doing a good job.. but still, I´d love to have the time to try it, a 10" car-sub I put in a TH prototype just for fun put out a lot of punch...

does somebody have one of these car-monsters in germany? maybe we give it a try?

now i'm at the university and i haven't the picture with me, but i have tried to plan another project using another car subwoofer (that i can get at only 85€ but it is an entry level...). according to hornresp the volume is near 60L... the spl is bad for PRO sound but for car is good and the frequency resp is similar to the resp of the project for the lowrider.... :)

I will post it if you want!
;)

djk said:
"the punisher is smaller but it can't go to 30hz..."

Ciare12b.gif

±3dB from about 29hz~100hz or so.

This might work for PA. You could run two drivers in one box (as shown), or make two boxes. The Ciare 12SW is reasonably priced in Europe.

HI djk! :)

i'm sorry but this isn't the punisher horn, right? :confused:

the 12SW in a TH is a wonderful idea! :up:
good job! :)

my impressione on tapped horn:

- no spl advantage: the SPL of a TH is near the SPL of a reflex box
- harder Xmax control of the TH than a reflex box

thanks to these two aspect the TH can goes very low with a linear response (depending by the project)...

but is the sound of the TH smoother and more controlled than a reflex box?

:confused:

so for PRO application we have to use, in my opinion, horn or, better, stack of horn...

:D

TH or not ...
First you cant say what is a better cabinet as that will depend on the driver. Also the usage of the speaker. IE Home Vs PA.
For Home usage it is so far it is a very good design.
You can achieve low frequency within a workable amount of space with a relatively flat response. Of course this is usually corner loaded, low amplification spec's.
For PA (Pro Sound) it is a little bit of
a toss up. In PA you are looking for MAX SPL. Getting a flat curve at above 130 DB becomes a complicated task. Mostly which can only be achieved via EQ. Even the Danley's are measure with more than 1 cabinet at more than 1 foot. This helps give them their flat response graphs. There is also a Plus that is also a Con for a TH in a PA. The location and direction of the driver. Reversed allows better cooling of the driver but also puts into harms way from drunk idjits and the likes.

I am still at a crossroads on calling
anything that doesn't have the driver rear facing a TH. I think of the rest as modified scoops. (Like ScreamUSA's design on the TH for PA thread.)

FlipC said:
TH or not ...
First you cant say what is a better cabinet as that will depend on the driver. Also the usage of the speaker. IE Home Vs PA.
For Home usage it is so far it is a very good design.
You can achieve low frequency within a workable amount of space with a relatively flat response. Of course this is usually corner loaded, low amplification spec's.
For PA (Pro Sound) it is a little bit of
a toss up. In PA you are looking for MAX SPL. Getting a flat curve at above 130 DB becomes a complicated task. Mostly which can only be achieved via EQ. Even the Danley's are measure with more than 1 cabinet at more than 1 foot. This helps give them their flat response graphs. There is also a Plus that is also a Con for a TH in a PA. The location and direction of the driver. Reversed allows better cooling of the driver but also puts into harms way from drunk idjits and the likes.

I am still at a crossroads on calling
anything that doesn't have the driver rear facing a TH. I think of the rest as modified scoops. (Like ScreamUSA's design on the TH for PA thread.)

GREAT! this is a post!
you have confirm what i tought! :)

thank you!

:)

FlipC said:

I am still at a crossroads on calling anything that doesn't have the driver rear facing a TH. I think of the rest as modified scoops.

For me it's clear that as long as the driver isn't recessed into the mouth far enough to generate useful half WL horn loading (TH), then regardless of driver orientation it's a folded BLH which can have either a well defined filter chamber (AKA 'scoop bin') or none (AKA expanding TL), so most driver-in-mouth 'TH' alignments are expanding TLs by my definition as I showed for one of William Cowan's early builds by posting a virtually identical sim to his measured response using MJK's offset driver TL software.

Note that used in multiples and/or corner loaded though, the horn's acoustic path-length is increased which if enough are used it can provide the half WL loading required to make the system a true TH.

GM

andrew_87 said:

.......using a BM Z3 DC (i can find it at 85€)

what do you think about it?

Link to driver? Google mostly returned BMW Z3 car links.

If it suits your performance needs and the specs are reasonably accurate (probably not if you didn't measure them), then I see nothing intrinsically wrong with it as long as you high pass it above 26 Hz if driven to its 800 W Pe rating.

GM

GM said:

Link to driver? Google mostly returned BMW Z3 car links.

If it suits your performance needs and the specs are reasonably accurate (probably not if you didn't measure them), then I see nothing intrinsically wrong with it as long as you high pass it above 26 Hz if driven to its 800 W Pe rating.

GM

BMW Z3??? wonderful car! :D :D

so this is what i have found in my computer:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and this is an image (powered by google image):

http://www.audio-zone.dk/images/BM Audio10.jpg

:)

so... i don't know if t&s are correct!
sigh!
:(

A quick cross-calculation between parameters seem to prove them correct.

- Qts is good for ported boxes
- The mechanical losses are quite high
- EBP fairly low (so "typical" hornusage is not recommended (when refering to the classic recommendation of high EBP)).
- Cone is heavy as expected in a Car-Sub this size
- 85dB is a low sensitivity, typical also
- as typical for a long-throw voice coil, The Inductance is high

Too bad Hvc and Hg are not present, so the statement of 18mm xmax can´t be discussed further just by looking at the spec sheet.

Sabbelbacke said:
A quick cross-calculation between parameters seem to prove them correct.

- Qts is good for ported boxes
- The mechanical losses are quite high
- EBP fairly low (so "typical" hornusage is not recommended (when refering to the classic recommendation of high EBP)).
- Cone is heavy as expected in a Car-Sub this size
- 85dB is a low sensitivity, typical also
- as typical for a long-throw voice coil, The Inductance is high

Too bad Hvc and Hg are not present, so the statement of 18mm xmax can´t be discussed further just by looking at the spec sheet.

all right!
i would try this project in a car... good extension, good spl (in car world) and little cabinet.

I have recently read that BillFitzMaurice consider the car like a phi/4 or phi/8 with a bass boost under a frequency depending on the dimension of the car...

what do you think about that?